Chase Credit Card Advice

SantaFeFan

I've often read postings referring to the Chase credit card not incurring fees when using them in Europe. Would those of you with this card describe whether there are any annual fees, or any other fee, to use one? Do you have to maintain a checking balance, for instance? I'm thinking of setting up an account with Chase if it's truely worth while to have.

Thanks!!

I've often read postings referring to the Chase credit card not incurring fees when using them in Europe. Would those of you with this card describe whether there are any annual fees, or any other fee, to use one? Do you have to maintain a checking balance, for instance? I'm thinking of setting up an account with Chase if it's truely worth while to have.

Thanks!!

I've not heard this about Chase, but I do have a CapitalOne credit card, which does not charge conversion fees for European travel. You will be billed for any fees that foreign banks have to process the charges, though.

For example, we used our CapOne card recently for the 15 days we were in Norway. While CapOne didn't charge any NOK to dollar fees, the banks who had the mini-banks (auto tellers) DID have fees, and those were passed on to us. Turns out they were actually less, overall, than the auto-teller fees we're charged in lots of the US. We paid around $1.50 in bank fees per transaction.

Depending on your credit score, CapOne has a variety of cards, and the fees differ. We pay $19 a year, have a 9% interest rate.

I've not heard this about Chase, but I do have a CapitalOne credit card, which does not charge conversion fees for European travel. You will be billed for any fees that foreign banks have to process the charges, though.

For example, we used our CapOne card recently for the 15 days we were in Norway. While CapOne didn't charge any NOK to dollar fees, the banks who had the mini-banks (auto tellers) DID have fees, and those were passed on to us. Turns out they were actually less, overall, than the auto-teller fees we're charged in lots of the US. We paid around $1.50 in bank fees per transaction.

Depending on your credit score, CapOne has a variety of cards, and the fees differ. We pay $19 a year, have a 9% interest rate.

Thank you for the info, and for reading this thread even though I goofed on the bank name.

Capital One does have no annual fee credit cards with no foreign tranasaction fees.

They also have money market accounts with no ATM fees in foreign countries - and you get the actual exchange rate (i.e. they do not mark up the exchange rate when withdrawing cash at a foreign ATM). There is no annual fee, no minimum balance and a decent interest rate for these days (about 1%).

It is definitely worthwhile for most people going to Europe to look into obtaining a Capital One credit card and money market account.

Archived