Oil Spill

korr2

"From what I have read 3 or 4 devices failed that should have prevented this from happening. Not sure how anyone could plan on this."

When this all started it was reported that Brazil and I believe Norway required a

more expensive and reportedly more effective Blow Out Preventer. I guess that is what irks me-that our Govt wouldn't demand this also. And as usual I'm sure BP will see it as (oops) cheap insurance they should have bought or do you cruise without insurance??? Maybe you can afford to be self insured also!

They used to require it until they relaxed the requirements to save the oil companies $500,000 for the device...:rolleyes:

Wait til a hurricane hits the gulf.

Doesn't look good, but I'd book a cruise anyway. If it didn't happen, then the cruise line would move it or something. I don't know. I don't know how bad it'll get, but it's bad now (the spill). If I had a cruise booked, I'd just make my plans to go ahead and go.

DH is a commercial master plumber and has a great idea on how to stop the leak, but it would stop the leak, not divert it, which is what it seems to me BP is trying to do. They don't want to lose all of that oil.

I wish I knew the answer.

Shay

Wait til a hurricane hits the gulf.

Doesn't look good, but I'd book a cruise anyway. If it didn't happen, then the cruise line would move it or something. I don't know. I don't know how bad it'll get, but it's bad now (the spill). If I had a cruise booked, I'd just make my plans to go ahead and go.

DH is a commercial master plumber and has a great idea on how to stop the leak, but it would stop the leak, not divert it, which is what it seems to me BP is trying to do. They don't want to lose all of that oil.

I wish I knew the answer.

Shay

they are looking to still make money out of this...they should be forced to close it off.

BP announced two or three weeks ago that their intent is to close off and permanently seal this well.

and yet their next solution includes a hose to siphon off oil after the cap is put on. :rolleyes:

By MATTHEW BROWN, Associated Press Writer Matthew Brown, Associated Press Writer – Tue Jun 1, 12:31 am ET

NEW ORLEANS – The best hope for stopping the oil spill from the blown-out well at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico has been compared to hitting a target the size of a dinner plate with a drill more than two miles into the earth, and is anything but a sure bet on the first attempt.

Bid after bid has failed to stanch what has already become the nation's worst-ever spill, and BP is readying another patchwork attempt as early as Wednesday, this one a cut-and-cap process to put a lid on the leaking wellhead so oil can be siphoned to the surface. BP said Monday it was also planning further containment efforts to supplement this week's try.

But the best-case scenario of sealing the leak is two relief wells being drilled diagonally into the gushing well — tricky business that won't be ready until August.

Don't you in your own life plan for and prepare for the worst and hope (not count on) the best possible outcome for any venture? Well welcome to the world of corporate arrogance-We'll buy our way out of whatever-WELL IT'S TIME TO PAY UP. Not that the Gulf Coast can ever be made whole. No more so than Exxon has lived up to that promise to the north. That's two strikes are WE fed up yet. Apparently NOT it's pretty quiet given the situation. I just wish that these corporate yes men would have a fraction of the moral fiber and intestinal fortitude the people we honor today have displayed. Wars are fought on many battlefields. That said-THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE SERVED ANYWHERE TO PROTECT FREEDOM.

Exxon hasn't lived up to their promise in the north? Have you lived in Alaska? I have seen the money that oil pumps into those towns that otherwise would have nothing. The PWS spill was terrible, but the restitution that Exxon has paid has been sizeable. I would not comment on things until you have all the info.

How long till BP gets the poison out of its system:confused:

I give it a year after they cap this thing. It might cost them a billion or two, but they have already shed 40 billion in stock reduction. It'll bounce back, just like Exxon. Long term, people forget.

The way I understand it , with the oil/water pressure they can not close it off until new wells are dug..so "august" is new projected "end". The whole deal is so awful any small cruise disruption just can not be first thing in one's head. We can't absorb the real damage to our ecosystem at present..and all that means.

While above is my opinion I do understand all wondering about travel plans..most realize the "smallness" of that worry against the circumstances. If me, I'd change trip if all was easy enough with insurance and Carnival. If change was not an option I'd leave it to play itself out, chaulk it up to the unknowns in travel; if it becomes bad enough; I would not want to add to confusion there as I would not be there as part of any solution. The situation is a nightmare...it just is.

The way I understand it , with the oil/water pressure they can not close it off until new wells are dug..so "august" is new projected "end". The whole deal is so awful any small cruise disruption just can not be first thing in one's head. We can't absorb the real damage to our ecosystem at present..and all that means.

While above is my opinion I do understand all wondering about travel plans..most realize the "smallness" of that worry against the circumstances. If me, I'd change trip if all was easy enough with insurance and Carnival. If change was not an option I'd leave it to play itself out, chaulk it up to the unknowns in travel; if it becomes bad enough; I would not want to add to confusion there as I would not be there as part of any solution. The situation is a nightmare...it just is.

We could do what the Russians do...:rolleyes:

According to Russian daily Komsomoloskaya Pravda , Russia used to nuke oil leaks, like, all the time. The idea is pretty simple: An enormous nuclear explosion will move the rocks around to block the leak.

We could do what the Russians do...:rolleyes:

According to Russian daily Komsomoloskaya Pravda , Russia used to nuke oil leaks, like, all the time. The idea is pretty simple: An enormous nuclear explosion will move the rocks around to block the leak.

Another new option!!!:rolleyes::)

My nephew is fishing (just started) as we speak in Prince William Sound with a "friends of friends" well reccomended situation...he will not be off the boat for 40 days!!! This is a super new industry for anyone in my family..Dad worked as geologist in the 50's up there in Alleutions (sp).

Can't wait to hear all the stories of the fallout in Homer and just everywhere ... and what they all have to say about what was not learned from so many angles up there..of course it will never be the same...

I'm not sure, but fairly certein he is with folks who could afford to start a smaller operation in the aftermath. Thanks for your comments.:)

I aggree you you. Here's how I view the situation:

There's this fat spoiled brat screaming for a bottle, In her careless frantic rush to fill his hungry maw, mommy spills the milk and makes a big mess. (which now she has to clean up)

Maybe junior should go on a diet, play nice, share and try rice, almond and soy milk now an then so mommy can take her time to get it right with "clean" options.

I think the spill is the fault of us *all*

Te he! You're so cute!!

Hey, did the pres have a nice vacation...does anybody know?

(CNN) -- In its latest attempt to contain the undersea oil gusher in the Gulf of Mexico, oil company BP on Thursday sliced off the top of a damaged riser.

Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, the federal government's response manager, called the development a "significant step forward." Next, BP will attempt to capture the oil by lowering a containment dome over the ruptured well and start siphoning the oil to the surface, he said.

[quote name='osiebosie']Wait til a hurricane hits the gulf.

Doesn't look good, but I'd book a cruise anyway. If it didn't happen, then the cruise line would move it or something. [/quote]

Oh come on how can a cruise line move a hurricane.

;)

Archived