Formal nights in Fjords

StLucia

Can anyone tell me what nights are normally formal on a 7 night fjord cruise. It's our 35th wedding anniversay while we are on board and we would like to book a special meal as soon as we embark but I'd rather it not be on a formal night.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Janet

Mmmmm - frustrating isn't it :mad:

We've run into a similar problem; need to make arrangements for a special night, and can't find out which nights are formal until we get on board!

Just doesn't ring true really that this relatively simple thing isn't planned in advance, when everything else is :mad:

C'est la vie!

There will be 2 formal nights on a 7n cruise, the 1st will be on the 2nd night as with all cruises and includes the welcome aboard pre-dinner party.

I would guess the 2nd one will be b&w and on the last but one night.

Mmmmm - frustrating isn't it :mad:

We've run into a similar problem; need to make arrangements for a special night, and can't find out which nights are formal until we get on board!

Just doesn't ring true really that this relatively simple thing isn't planned in advance, when everything else is :mad:

C'est la vie!

Formal nights are 2 per week. and usually on a sea day if possible. The 1st formal night will be on day 2, as mentioned above, and after that usually a sea day in the first week .

You can't book the speciality restaurants until you're on board anyway, so it shouldn't make too much difference to your arrangements for your special night. Just go promptly on boarding to make your dinner booking and everything else should fall in to place. Have a wonderful time!

Carol x

Thank you for your help. You've confirmed what I thought might be the formal nights. On a 14 night to the med the formal nights are easy to guess because of the number of sea days but I was struggling to work them out as there are only 2 sea days one at the beginning and one at the end of the cruise. We can find out as soon as we board but I'm one of these organised people who likes to have everything carefully planned, sad I know! If anyone has actually done this itinerary your thought would be appreciated.

Janet

... I'm one of these organised people who likes to have everything carefully planned, sad I know!

NOT sad at all!

I'm like you; I try & do as much (reasonable) research, planning & organisation as possible before we go on any vacation anywhere.

It cuts down the amount of wasted time spent faffing around when you're on vacation and maximises the amount of time I have for enjoyment!

Anyhow; if you haven't been before; I hope you enjoy the Fjords; we did it 3 years ago, and LOVED it! Weather was fabulous; scenery fantastic...

We usually cruise on our Wedding anniversary (infact started cruising on our Silver WA) so I am always booking the speciality restaurants. Favourite so far is Oriana Rhodes, followed by Arcadia Rhodes. The best tip I can give you is book on embarkation afternoon, there is usually someone in the restaurants from around 3pm, so after you have unpacked go along to the restaurant you fancy - they will have their booking diary ready and the dress code is written in so you'll know. We always tend to spend formal nights in the main restaurant as the gala menus are one notch better than usual with Lobster, Beef Wellington etc ,and its nice to spend the formal evening with your table companions. Ask for a table by the window as well, you should get it ok and the date you want ok when booking that early on in the cruise.

Can anyone tell me what nights are normally formal on a 7 night fjord cruise. It's our 35th wedding anniversay while we are on board and we would like to book a special meal as soon as we embark but I'd rather it not be on a formal night.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Janet

Having just come back from one such cruise I can report that the formal nights were, day's 2 and 6.

The second sea day is the last day of the cruise and never a formal night except for 2 night party cruises when you carry your own cases off.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

As suggested we will book the White Room as soon as we board, we had a lovely meal there the last time we were on Ventura. We might try East this time as well. During our last cruise it was very underused and tables were always available. Do you know if its still the same?

Thank you for confirming the formal nights Dai, I did think it was unlikely it would be on the last night. That works out well for us as our anniversary is on the 3rd day.

This time next week we will be in Southampton, can't wait!

Janet

St Lucia, just to warn you, next Saturday there's gonna be four ships in, so be careful when you leave to get to the port. I saw last week when Indy was in they opened the dock gates by holiday inn and it created all sorts of queues down west quay road etc..

Seeing as we are going from Ocean terminal, might be worth giving the west quay road a miss from midday and go another way to the eastern docks..

Scrozuk

scozuk thank you for your advice. We should be okay though as we are staying at the DeVere the night before. It was only a small amount more to do that than pay for parlking.

Not long now, hope to see you onboard.

Janet

There will be 2 formal nights on a 7n cruise, the 1st will be on the 2nd night as with all cruises and includes the welcome aboard pre-dinner party.

I would guess the 2nd one will be b&w and on the last but one night.

The only time a formal night is on the last night is on a 2n cruise. I hope my answer help too ...

Have a great time!

I am off to the airport in a few hours, going on a land-based holiday - just for a change !! to Madeira....1st time we've flown since we started cruising.. The hotel looks good (5*) wonder how it will compare to cruising?:rolleyes:

Bye for now

Sue -aka Libra lass.

Do P&O no longer send out the itinerary of the dress code for each evening?

We last booked with P&O 2 years ago and back then we were sent the dress code dates with our pre-travel documents.

Just booked on Azura for June 2nd so were anticipating getting all this info through the letter box anytime now.

Neil

Do P&O no longer send out the itinerary of the dress code for each evening?

We last booked with P&O 2 years ago and back then we were sent the dress code dates with our pre-travel documents.

Just booked on Azura for June 2nd so were anticipating getting all this info through the letter box anytime now.

Neil

Hi Neil

We received a pre travel pack a few weeks ago with all the cruise and excursion information. It also included details of the number of formal and casual nights and special events but not the exact dates. This is exactly the same type of info we received for our last P&O cruise.

But if you booked for 2nd June I'm afraid she's sailed without you......

Hope you had a lovely holiday Sue. We have not given up on land based holidays either but cruises are really special.

Janet

scozuk thank you for your advice. We should be okay though as we are staying at the DeVere the night before. It was only a small amount more to do that than pay for parlking.

Not long now, hope to see you onboard.

Janet

Yup, you should have no real problems then when you go to leave for the ship.

As for seeing us onboard, regrettably, we've had to cancel. We're totally gutted, had been looking forward to this for about a year, but the wife had a fall at the weekend, and has since fractured one of her vertabrae and broken her wrist.

Ironically, where she fell, when you look across, you could see Ventura in dock at the time.

So, as it stands, wife is currently in Southampton General, desperate to get out, but not in a fit state to travel I'm afraid.

Anyway, you guys have a great time on the cruise. Living just two miles from the dock, there will be plenty of other cruises to go on.

You might see the wife and mother-in-law on Azura in October as you're booked on the same cruise as them.

Good luck

Scrozuk

What a shame Scrozuk I do hope your wife makes a full recovery and is better soon. When she is feeling better I hope she drops into the roll call we have for Azura and says hello. These accidents do unfortunately happen. We went to the Caribbean last month and one of the friends we went with fell on the first day broke her leg and badly cut her other leg. They had to be repatriated in the end, it was a nightmare and spoilt a holiday we had looked forward to for months.

Archived