My review of QM2 in Princess Grill

north east girl

Yes I did enjoy getting to know the staff better, this is because you are served your 3 meals in the same seats. Like you say it is less noisy than Britannia.

Getting to know the waiting staff (and the neighbours at adjacent tables) was something we enjoyed in PG on the QE2. That aspect (of having the same table for each meal) was the reason we have booked AA for our next trip on QM2.

Peter

You should join us in october, we are on the QM2 TA to NYC and then down to cananda and back to NYC and Soton, 20 wonderful relaxing days.

Rob, It's UP to Canada.... Am I going to have to give you geography lessons on the way from NYC to Soton (over martinis in the Commodore Club???);)

Crane

So glad you enjoyed PG Catherine, is is fab.

Enjoy your next one :D

Sharon

Thanks cinta, I've been looking at prices to upgrade to a glass balcony. We did like to see the sea from our cabin. Don't know what to do for the best. We have been in the sheltered balcony, so have experience of both now.

Might ring TA to see what she can do on price, due to pay early July.

Catherine

Thanks cinta, I've been looking at prices to upgrade to a glass balcony. We did like to see the sea from our cabin. Don't know what to do for the best. We have been in the sheltered balcony, so have experience of both now.

Might ring TA to see what she can do on price, due to pay early July.

Catherine

Well I've gone and done it, booked an A3 8011. It was the last available glass balcony. The A1 and A2 are waitlisted, I've checked out the cabin and it looks all right. Just straight up to the Commodore Club, which is great.

Catherine

Well I've gone and done it, booked an A3 8011. It was the last available glass balcony. The A1 and A2 are waitlisted, I've checked out the cabin and it looks all right. Just straight up to the Commodore Club, which is great.

Catherine

Did your TA also put you down for free upgrade?? You can still reserve a room, but always insist the TA also check off the upgrade part as well. You could get a pleasant

surprise.

Did your TA also put you down for free upgrade?? You can still reserve a room, but always insist the TA also check off the upgrade part as well. You could get a pleasant

surprise.

Thanks keithm, Not expecting to be upgraded as our TA said A1 and A2 are wait listed. Just happy to have the glass balcony.

I did enjoy the Princess Grill on our short trip in May, unfortunately we cannot stretch to that catergory on this trip.

I just love QM2, just glad I have the opportunity to sail again so soon.

Catherine

Thanks keithm, Not expecting to be upgraded as our TA said A1 and A2 are wait listed. Just happy to have the glass balcony.

I did enjoy the Princess Grill on our short trip in May, unfortunately we cannot stretch to that catergory on this trip.

I just love QM2, just glad I have the opportunity to sail again so soon.

Catherine

Actually, there's frequently some open space in the Grills. So some people get upgraded from the A-1/A-2. When that happens,cabins open up. It's how we got into our P-1 last year. It wasn't a free upgrade( as we were on the P waitlist), but it became available 2 weeks prior to our cruise, so we went from a AA-1 to a P-1.

Actually, there's frequently some open space in the Grills. So some people get upgraded from the A-1/A-2. When that happens,cabins open up. It's how we got into our P-1 last year. It wasn't a free upgrade( as we were on the P waitlist), but it became available 2 weeks prior to our cruise, so we went from a AA-1 to a P-1.

Will have to wait and see, would be nice if something happened.

Catherine

Will have to wait and see, would be nice if something happened.

Catherine

We're on the Nov.27th voyage. We booked a Q-6. Noticing that there were still quite a few Q suites still avaiable, we hope to get an upgrade.

We're on the Nov.27th voyage. We booked a Q-6. Noticing that there were still quite a few Q suites still avaiable, we hope to get an upgrade.

Hi keithm, Have you cruised with any other line? I want to book something for next year, was looking at cunard again.

Have you tried silversea?

Catherine

I was told by my TA that if you tick the upgrade box you have to accept the "upgrade" whether or not, for your purposes, it is a better cabin. eg you have chosen a quiet well located cabin and then are "upgraded" to a more expensive category next to a lift or in a part of the ship with more motion or that has the sort of dinning that you don't want.

Is that correct?

Can you refuse an upgrade if it doesn't suit your individual needs and stay where you originally were?

I was told by my TA that if you tick the upgrade box you have to accept the "upgrade" whether or not, for your purposes, it is a better cabin. eg you have chosen a quiet well located cabin and then are "upgraded" to a more expensive category next to a lift or in a part of the ship with more motion or that has the sort of dinning that you don't want.

Is that correct?

Can you refuse an upgrade if it doesn't suit your individual needs and stay where you originally were?

You may refuse the upgrade. There really is no bad place on the ship. We've been near the lifts & it was no issue. I would say possibly near the Brittania it could be pretty noisy, but would quiet down after dinner.

Hi keithm, Have you cruised with any other line? I want to book something for next year, was looking at cunard again.

Have you tried silversea?

Catherine

We've only done Cunard so far. I like the "oceanliner" feel & history about it. We've thought about HAL or Celebrity. I'm just afraid of spending a lot of money & not having as good a time as we've had on Cunard. Silversea seems pretty pricey for what you get. If we spend $8000 on Cunard, we get a Queens Grill suite & all the niceties that go with it. Would we get a smaller room on Silversea/Crystal? From what I've seen in the brochures, you get a pretty small room for the price of a Q suite. The food is probably as good, but I do kind of like the space we get on Cunard.

You may refuse the upgrade.

I believe that, in the UK it works differently & if you say you will accept an upgrade you do not get a chance to reject it if it is not to your liking.

My TA calls it an Automatic Upgrade.

If I have spent ages picking a location, I always ask for 'no automatic upgrade' as I could end up in an area I have already rejected (she says it doesnt mean I won't get offered an upsell later.)

- it can be a difficult decision - accept upgrades with the possibility of an upgrade to the Grills (one can only hope:D), or stick with what you have:D

We've only done Cunard so far. I like the "oceanliner" feel & history about it. We've thought about HAL or Celebrity. I'm just afraid of spending a lot of money & not having as good a time as we've had on Cunard. Silversea seems pretty pricey for what you get. If we spend $8000 on Cunard, we get a Queens Grill suite & all the niceties that go with it. Would we get a smaller room on Silversea/Crystal? From what I've seen in the brochures, you get a pretty small room for the price of a Q suite. The food is probably as good, but I do kind of like the space we get on Cunard.

Yes I've been checking out prices and it does seem a bit steep for what you get in return with the size of the cabin.

Will stick with Cunard for next year.

Catherine

I believe that, in the UK it works differently & if you say you will accept an upgrade you do not get a chance to reject it if it is not to your liking.

My TA calls it an Automatic Upgrade.

If I have spent ages picking a location, I always ask for 'no automatic upgrade' as I could end up in an area I have already rejected (she says it doesnt mean I won't get offered an upsell later.)

- it can be a difficult decision - accept upgrades with the possibility of an upgrade to the Grills (one can only hope:D), or stick with what you have:D

Thank you very much for the information.

I am a solo traveller and don't feel that either Brittania Club or the Grills would meet my dinning preferences (although I am sure they are lovely, and I realised I may be sorry when my dinning companions and I meet each other and they ask to be moved) so upon being told that I could automatically lose my nice quiet in-hull cabin for something less suited to me, I said "no upgrades".

I am relieved to hear I was not mislead.

Archived