Nieuw ansterdam

geocruiser

Hi,

Just put deposit on Nieuw Amsterdam 1/23/11. This cruise goes to one of my favorite ports-San Juan. Unlike the other sailing dates this cruise gives you most of the day light hours to be in port. 7AM to 4PM. Lots of time for me to visit old forts!

Maria

Those midnight departure from San Juan are quite useless.

We are always back on board by nightfall as San Juan is not the safest place to be after dark.

Good to know that (in your opinion) San Juan port is not the safest place after dark.

We (two women) will be in San Juan on 1/12/2011 from 1pm - 8pm. We were thinking of doing the adventure excursion (sounds like a blast), then hopefully be dropped "in town" to meander around afterwards to shop...approx at 5pm till leaving port (at 7pm). Would that not be recommended for two women to "meander"? Any areas we should stick to?

SP

If you stay on the main streets - like Cristo, one of the main shopping streets, you shouldn't be worried. I wouldn't wander down an alley at night in Tampa, FL or San Juan, PR. Remember there will be thousands of other tourists in town with you, you'll be fine.

Thank you for the tip of what street to stick to (stay on the main streets - like Cristo) while in San Juan. And I do understand that even in Victoria, BC you need to be careful after dark. You sometimes do forget or figure you are being a bit paranoid, and it is helpful to read that others, like yourself express caution.

We look forward to our visit to San Juan. Was there back in the 70's with my sister on a cruise ship, VERACRUZ and have no recollection of the line back then :p

SP

Archived