NCL ship tours in Nafplion

sldcruiser

We're going on the NCL Gem in Sept. and the only place I feel we might need to take a ship's tour is Nafplion since we'll only be there from 7-1. Has anyone done any of these tours and what did you think? We're also considering not doing a tour and just walking around wherever the ship docks. Is there much to see or do right in Nafplion?

I've been to Napflion, but not on a cruise. Could you describe the tours offered?

If you're into ruins, and they offer a tour to Epidavros and Mycenae, these are outstanding sites.

But, if you're so inclined, Napflion is a beautiful little city to just wander around int. You can climb up to the fortress if you're so inclined, or just wander the little streets and sit in the square.

We visited Nafplion on a day trip from Athens and I agree with Wendy's thoughts re Mycenae and Epidaurus. Both are impressive sites, but my order of preference for a port stop there would be (1) Mycenae, (2) Epidaurus, (3) exploring Nafplion (or a combination of these options if time permits.)

It looks like NCL offers either Mycenae & Palamidi Fortress or Epidaurus & Palamidi. They also have a Corinth & canal crossing excurison. Unfortunately, we'll only be there from 7-1 and the tours will take up most, if not all of our time there. Guess we'll have to decide if we want to see more ruins (we'll have already been to Ephesus & Athens) or just walk around town. Thanks for the input!

I thought we might get 'ruined out' on our 3 week trip, but the more I saw, the more I wanted to see. Tough choices, but any of them would be great (my first choice would still be Mycenae). The fortress is in town and maybe you'll have a bit of time afterwards to explore.

Enjoy!:)

We were on the May 15-22 nd Gem sailing that stopped in Nafplion. I wished we had been tendered there longer...we too were 7-1.

I was a little ruined out. We had just had hardcore days in Athens and Epheseus. We just took our time taking a tender, walked around town, did a little shopping and sat on the boardwalk and chilled. It was beautiful.

Our friends also did their own thing. They climbed the 999 (really 862) steps to the castle and then walked down to the beach they had spied from above and took a quick dip in the Agean sea.

We arrived back at the tender dock at 12:15 pm to return and the line up was loooooong. We went back to another boardwalk cafe within view of the line and had a beer, watching the line. It took 45 minutes to board everyone! Jumped in line and got on the last tender.

I guess the one benefit to taking a tour is that you get on the first tender. Otherwise you are waiting a long time to get off the ship in the first place. However, it is an easy little port to explore on your own if you are like us and 'ruined out'.

We thought nothing could top Ephesus and we had been to Pompei, so we just walked around Nafpion and used the money we would have spent on an excursion to shop. I got some beautiful jewelry at 20% off at one of the stores that opened before 10 am and a wonderful dress in a store that looked like just a post card type place, but had some great clothes in the back. The dress looks like silk, but was on sale for 20E. I love it and it's a wonderful reminder of our great cruise in May 2010.

Archived