Carry-ons -- Newbie

Okay... still a pretty big newbie. I've flown quite a bit in the last year, but always within a group and never had to be responsible for anything other than 'showing up'. I know the TSA rules for flying with liquids. I hate them, but I understand why we have them.

Anyway, so I started packing for my (FIRST) cruise next week. I'll be flying out of Milwaukee to Minneapolis to pick up my friend, then Ft. Lauderdale. I have no room for sunscreen in my liquids bag.

Upon arrival in FLL, can I stop at a Walgreens or something and pick up some sun block and carry it on the ship in addition to my other bag?

I'm only packing a carryon as it's only a 5 day cruise and I'm cheap. So I'll have my carryon size suitcase and an oversized purse, probably. Can I throw sunscreen in my purse?

Also, what's the rule on soda? Can I just bring a 12 pack on? Put a luggage tag on it?

I'm so scatter brained right now, so I appologize if this doesn't make much sense. I'm just so darn excited :)

Thanks for any help!

You will have no problem carrying sunscreen on to the ship. Go ahead and pick it up on your way to the cruise terminal.

I have never taken soda with me but I have heard of others here attaching a luggage tag to it and having it delivered to their room so I'm sure you could do the same.

Yes, you can take your sunscreen on in your carry on, or in your checked luggage....either way, they don't care.

There is soda available on the ship, but if you want to take your own, you can put a luggage tag on it an have it sent to the room. Just make sure it's properly secured....imagine all the handling tossing, crushing, etc. it's going to experience on the way to your room.

Are you arriving in Ft Lauderdale the day you board the ship? If so you will take a cab from the airport to the cruise pier, right? If you want to stop along the way at a drugstore, remember that the meter will be running so shop fast.

I don't know about checking sodas in as luggage. I don't bring soda with me on ships. I can only imagine it getting thrown around and ruined.

I have to agree, if you aren't spending the night before in a hotel, the money spent for a cab may end up costing more than just purchasing soda onboard. They do have an unlimited sticker for a set price (I don't drink much soda, so just buy one at a time).

Same with sunscreen, you can buy it onboard the ship, pricey but available. If you still have space in your 3-1-1 bag, you can always fill a 3 oz. bottle and take some with you.

Edit to add...I have found travel sized bottles of sunscreen in the past. You may need 2 of them since they are so small. I think I picked them up at CVS.

I believe that there is a store that is walkable from the ship (depending upon which pier you are using) which you can go to after you board the ship. So look on google maps since you should know (or can ask RCCL) which pier you are embarking from and see if a drug store/grocery store is near by. I remember walking to one for sure, but I think that was from a Princess pier.

I'm flying in the day prior to the cruise so I will have plenty of time to bum around Fort Lauderdale. ANd I know I won't drink $50 worth of soda, I just like a diet sprite every now and then (good for a hang over)... which most places don't even have available in fountain soda.

So, as long as it's no big deal, I'll just carry a full sized bottle on and throw out whatever doesn't get used. There is no room in my 3-1-1 bag, which is the reason for the dilema!!!

Now, to check out maps to see what's within walking distance of the Ramada in FLL... :)

Thanks for the help!

Archived