help with last minute booking

jmc27

Hi guys I am thinking of booking IE for week's cruise on 1st July out of Glasgow. Prices seem to be dropping slightly but my question is - how long do I wait as there seems to be plenty of availability and what cabin to go for. Is it better to go for the cheapest inside in the hope that they upgrade us or do I pay the little extra and go for a guaranteed outside on deck 3/4? What is a reasonable price to pay for this cruise? Hubby and I are going on an Alaskan cruise to celebrate 30 years of wedded bliss (!!!) but this is an extra for me to 'bond" with daughter and she can't afford too much. Thanks guys

Hi jmc37

Regarding last minute, I would suggest keeping an eye on the Thomson website and click on your chosen cruise up to the cabin upgrade page every day or two. I have found that generally the prices go up Friday through Monday, although the cabin upgrades tend to go down and vice versa through the rest of the week, so it depends which is better for you. I had a look earlier and there are still plenty of decks showing on the upgrades so I think you can wait a little longer and see if the price comes down more. I wouldn't expect it to come down below about £580 as you are going into July and up to peak season. When there are less decks showing on the upgrade it might be time to move on it. We booked late in March and paid the upgrade for deck 9 which is a well situated deck. I would just say that if you go for that deck try and get a cabin at either end and not the middle as we were in 9048 and had a tender obliterating the view. On the deck plan you will see gaps inbetween the lifeboats but don't be fooled as the gaps contain the ironwork for hoisting the lifeboats. I would try and go for a higher deck than deck 3/4 if you can afford it but if not you'll be ok there. Good luck.:):)

JMC

How long is a piece of string ;)

I couldnt really say how long you should wait, say I said 1 week before the cruise and you miss out? how would that make me feel and yourselves :eek: I'm sure you wouldnt miss out.

What ever you decide I'm sure when you make the decision you will have a fantastic time on the IE.

RR

Thanks guys - just spoken to my daughter and she is away to look up the ports of call - can anyone tell me whether the ports themselves are worth a wander round without booking excursions? The only 1 I would really like to book upfront would be Rome as I have never been and it would be silly not to see the famous sights. I think I will just book the outside cabin and then see what an upgrade would cost. I love cruising but my daughter has never been before and she is a bit dubious about whether it's for her or not. Will let you know what happens....

Thanks guys - just spoken to my daughter and she is away to look up the ports of call - can anyone tell me whether the ports themselves are worth a wander round without booking excursions? The only 1 I would really like to book upfront would be Rome as I have never been and it would be silly not to see the famous sights. I think I will just book the outside cabin and then see what an upgrade would cost. I love cruising but my daughter has never been before and she is a bit dubious about whether it's for her or not. Will let you know what happens....

Pop over to the Thomson forum and do a search there for Rome. Quite a few people have gone in on the train for a few euros.

Jan

Well the price dropped again today and we are now booked - great excitement from number 1 daughter! Can anyone tell me about the Marina di Carrara port - is there anything to do in the port itself or do you have to go on an excursion to Pisa or Florence? Is there a wine tasting trip? I cannot seem to find out anything about this particular port. Thanks - no doubt there will be many more questions in the next 3 weeks!

Well the price dropped again today and we are now booked - great excitement from number 1 daughter! Can anyone tell me about the Marina di Carrara port - is there anything to do in the port itself or do you have to go on an excursion to Pisa or Florence? Is there a wine tasting trip? I cannot seem to find out anything about this particular port. Thanks - no doubt there will be many more questions in the next 3 weeks!

Hi,

As we'd been to both the cities before, we did the Taste of Tuscany one when we docked in Livorno in April. It was the best wine tasting excursion we've done.

Berwyn

ViaMichelin Travel is a great world tour guide. They provide lots of information about ports, restaurants, hotels, etc. My friend had been with her family to ‘Marina di Carrara’. See if you could find some details at http://travel.viamichelin.com/web/Destination/Italy-Tuscany-Marina_di_Carrara and if it helps you. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks Sandra and all others who posted replies. I will check out all the sites and see what looks good. Number 1 daughter after wanting a "cheap" holiday has now decided that there at least £200s worth of excursions she fancies! Has anyone stayed on deck 3/4 outside cabin? I can't tell if there are 2 portholes or 1 in the room. Anyone know how much the safe rental is? Thanks again

Archived