Life jackets, diapers, and sand toys..oh my!

Guest Time2gocruzn

Guest Time2gocruzn

and wipes and snacks and toys (a few) and a stroller. Good gravy, I am thinking I should have bought more luggage. I am clueless how we are going to fit all this in. I was thinking about breaking up the pack of diapers, putting them is ziplocks and stashing them in this bag and that bag...plus my parents are cruising too, so I may stash a few in their bag, but other than that I am starting to realize the amount of stuff we are going to have to bring for a family of 4.

We were planning on bringing a large case for us, a medium size case for our boys' stuff, and 2 carry-ons, (that are basically small suitcases) 1 for our stuff, the other for the boys.

Anyone have any good tips? I am always pretty good at light packing, but it's gonna be hard to do this time;) :)

We are leaving on Saturday and will have, by the time we sail, SIX checked bags, three backpacks (one is The Wiggles) and a small rolling carry-on full of all the things you mention and more, plus stroller and carseat. And that's just for 3 of us: mom, dad and 2-year-old. I am a first-time cruiser, so we want to have everything we need. Plus, with no self-serve laundry on the ship, don't want to blow the bankroll on drycleaning and 2-year-olds spill a lot. I used to be able to fit anything and everything I needed in one regulation sized carry-on...guess those days are over. I am taking a deep breath and hoping for the best. We have become those people we used to laugh at in the airport as we breezed by with our carry-ons... oh well.

Good luck! I'll let you know what we didn't use when we return.

mm

When I had to cruise with a child in diapers, I found it easier to purchase the bulky stuff (diapers,wipes, etc) right before we got on the ship. That way I didn't use up valuable suitcase space. The children will have used them up before you come home and so you won't have to worry about packing it to bring home. I grant you, we always traveled to the port the day ahead of the cruise so that made it easier to do.

Sonia

Guest Time2gocruzn

Now see mm! I just KNEW I needed to buy more luggage!! LOL!!:D

We are leaving actually 2 days b4 our cruise. We are driving about 3 hrs out of town to the airport and staying over night there. Then we have an early morning flight into Tampa and staying over night there too. I am NOT familiar with Tampa, the area we are staying (around the hotel) or the port area, so I am leery of leaving that stuff behind. Silly, I know. But the hotel shuttle is picking us up at the airport and dropping us at the port the next day, so not sure if they would make a "diaper stop" for me, LOL!:D

I used to live in Tampa. Which hotel are you at? No there is not a Walmart within walking distance of the port of Tampa but there is one near by. I think the closest is the Walmart on Dale Mabry (major road in Tampa). It is sort of between the airport and the port area so if you want to get a taxi there or have the cab stop on the way from the airport you shouldn't have a problem. I bet the hotel shuttle would even help.

If you are going to bring everything with you make sure it gets distributed between several suitcases so if one suitcase gets lost by the airline you aren't SOL (because it would be that "baby" suitcase).

Lots of people pack one of the suitcases as either a duffel bag or just a plain cardboard box. The baby will use up all the diapers and supplies you bring along so then you can just stuff the empty duffel in another suitcase or breakdown the box and have the room steward take it away.

Guest Time2gocruzn
I used to live in Tampa. Which hotel are you at?

We are at the Sailport Resort... www.sailport.com ..address is on Rocky Point Dr. If there are others on the shuttle going to the port at the same time as us I wouldn't want to ask to stop anywhere, ya know? I may just call a taxi the night we get in after we get settled at the hotel and go get what I need, BUT I don't know what would be close. But still..even if I wait to buy the diapers and wipes and snacks (oh did I mention my 4 year old will still need pull ups for night time, lol) there is still a LOT of stuff!!

My husband thinks I am crazy because we have a month to go and I want to do a "trial run" with our packing so we can see what we need and how it is all going to fit! I think it is a good idea. I dont want to be a day b4 we go and have an "oh crap" moment, as in oh crap, we don't have enough room or oh crap I have to run out and buy another suitcase or something like that!!!:D

We stayed at the Sailport 2 years ago. It's nice, has a kitchen and a VCR. Unforchantly there is no where to shop close by. We rented a car and made a trip to Super Walmart. We also went to the Florida Aquarium which is right by the pier, it's very nice and I would try to stop and see it.

We just went with a 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. I bought diapers before we boarded, I brought along an extra duffle bag for this. I also bought some gatorade in case of a tummy bug.

I then had to buy more diapers in St. Thomas, $8 for 10 diapers (Huggies, only choice)!

We did use the laundry service, we were on a 12 night, and I would have had to throw away the 1 1/2 year old's clothes if they sat that long dirty in the suitcase. Also, this allowed me to pack many fewer clothes. I sent 1 t-shirt and 1 pair of pj's of my own, and a few shirts of DD (3 1/2). DH did not use the laundry.

We had 7 checked bags for the 4 of us, 1 rolling suitcase (kid-size), 1 backpack, and a huge stroller. 1 suitcase per adult, 1 for the kids to share, 1 for dinner clothes, 1 for shoes, 1 for sand toys, lifejackets, etc, and 1 for the weekend between flying to the port and boarding the ship. This suitcase was so I didn't have to unpack any suitcases except this one between when we left our house and boarded the ship (3 days & it was actually a huge duffle bag) We left the sand toys behind, some to a young girl in Mexico, the rest to the kids club.

Just have plenty of $$ for the porters and you should be fine! :D

I also forget, we brought a DVD player too!! It was crazy!

Hi, don't forget your hotel staff... If I were you, ( I have always been one of those obsessive pre-planning Mommies) I'd call your hotel, explain your situation, and ask where the nearest Super-Walmart or that type of store is. Also have them find out how much taxi service there and back would be. It might be cheaper to do a one day car rental...

Then you can take those big tote bags that fold totally flat in your suitcase out, fill em up to the top, and away you go!!!

For the 10 dollars it will cost, I also suggest getting your sand toys there too.

That will cut down on a lot on bulky packing.

One more thing, we once spent 5 hours in the Tampa airport (9:00pm to 2:00am) because our flight home was delayed. We were sitting right in front of the Marriott, and could have just gone home on a morning flight, except we didn't have enough baby supplies or contact solution, or any make-up (trust me, a truly scary thought!!!)

I now pack a change of clothes for the kids, in those 2 gallon ziplock bags, in the bottom of our carry-on, plus enough diapers to last overnight, just in case. Also hubby's travel contact stuff, and my "face"!!! Sounds like a lot but it really isn't, and it makes me feel a lot better!

Go ahead and "early pack" the week before, then if you need one more suitcase, you can get it without feeling stressed.

It'll all be fine you'll have a great time and so will the kids, we pre-planners feel better if we've thought of everything!!!!!

We just got back from cruising with a 16.5 month old. We planned ahead and stayed in Miami a night before our cruise. We rented a car and went to Walmart. We bought a large pkg of diapers (brought almost half a pkg home after a 7 day cruise), a roll of paper towels (instead of diaper wipes - dd is allergic to comercial wipes), a 16-pack of bottled water, a box of crackers, 25 jars of baby food, AND a duffle bag. We packed the bag in Miami and then took it on the cruise. I had more than enough stuff. I really recommend waiting to buy this stuff until you get to your port city (planes now have limits on numbers of bags and the weight of each bag).

I did carry a backpack that had several diapers in it, but I didn't go overboard.

If you are spending a night in your port city, I also recommend packing stuff you need while in the hotel in 1 suitcase - so you don't have to open every suitcase in the hotel.

I also recommend taking an umbrella style stroller instead of a large one. I bought a Chicco Tuscany this summer at Babies-R-us and it is great. It has a 5 point harness, seat reclines, a great sun shade and a good size basket. DD loved riding around in it while on the ship. The other parents that took larger stroller had a hard time navigating them around the ship, but we had no problem.

Guest Time2gocruzn

.... we pre-planners feel better if we've thought of everything!!!!!

Isn't that the truth?! I feel like I have really accomplished something if I can go somewhere like this and not have to say 'Oh crap I need____' or 'Oh no I forgot____.' Preparation for traveling with kids.....it is like a sport or something, lol:eek::D.

Good advice everyone! I am going to call the hotel tomorrow. I am going to do a "trial run" on the packing. Depending on how full our luggage is, I think I will stuff a few diapers here and a few diapers there in all of our bags and suitcases, as well as my parents. If I do that I won't even have to worry about getting to a Walmart after I get to Tampa. BUT I only have a large suit case, a medium suit case and 2 rolling carry ons to cram all our crap in, so I may be forced to wait till I get to Tampa.

I dont think DH would go for buying another suitcase, lol, but we may have no other choice. Right now we can extend the handle on the larger cases and set our carry on on top of them, but if we get another case, not sure how we would carry/pull it all:confused: . MAN! The things you have to think of when you are mommy...I bet my DH isn't worrying about any of this!!!! :rolleyes: :D

On our second cruise with our then 16 mo. old, we didn't bother even bringing the stroller. So, that was one less thing to worry about. The first cruise with her, we only used it for about an hour.

None of the tours we did would have been real conducive to a stroller.

Progresso--Mayan Ruins (had a backpack for her).

Cozumel--Paradise Beach

Belize (tender port)--Shark/Sting Ray tour

Our cruise for this Nov. goes to Jamaica, Grand Cayman (tender port), and Cozumel. The tours will be somewhat similar (Y.S. Falls and River Tubing, Sting Ray sandbar, one of the beaches)--we wouldn't really need it.

We travel often--my now 18 mo. old has already flown 6 times round-trip. We use this attachment on our suitcase for her:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/212146923/240900421eeyZrF

It's wonderful--talk about being able to get around small, crowded places (especially for embarkation/debarkation)--and it folds right up.

Also, I ended up packing the diapers in the front, outside zipper pockets of the suitcase instead of inside the suitcase. I would make layers of about 5-6 diapers thick in each pile and slide them in.

Guest Time2gocruzn

OOH! I just looked at my luggage and the nylon lining has a zipper in it so I can put diapers between the outside shell of the suitcase and inside liner. LOL thinking about all my suitcases lined and padded with diapies! If the airlines break my suitcase open it would be like a diaper explosion:eek: :D .

Somehow Mr Stress always managed to weasle out of traveling with me and the babies, (he always had one last " meeting") a stroller is a great thing in an airport or a cruise ship. I would just load up the top, (if you could have seen me, newborn, 3 year old, infant car seat, toddler car seat, diaper bag, backpack, etc, etc, etc...) and away we'd go!!!!

Obsessive compulsive nuerotic mommy that I am, I've owned a gazillion different strollers, and I would agree that this is not the time for that stroller that will hold 4 children and all of your suitcases...

Think lightweight, but remember we're also going to put stuff on top and in the pocket and underneath, and beside the baby,(see what I mean about the whole carried away thing!) so don't bring the cheapie lightweight stroller (think tipping over)

Mr Stress:eek: got so sick of strollers, but as the kids grow, your needs change...

We always have a great time, and once we get there Mr Stress is always happy for my advance planning.... I just try to talk to someone other than him about all these details.:) :D

Guest Time2gocruzn

Obsessive compulsive nuerotic mommy that I am, I've owned a gazillion different strollers, and I would agree that this is not the time for that stroller that will hold 4 children and all of your suitcases...

I could have written that myself:p . I think I am just about on my bazillionth stroller myself! I buy them see if I like them and if not I sell them to a 2nd hand store. The only ones I have left that I like are my Jeep Cherokee (the fancier one, red and black, love it but too big and heavy for travel) and a Peg Perego p3. Even tho the Peg is light weight I didn't want to take it and have it thrown around by the airline so I just got a little Combi. It isn't the most sturdy thing, but it is light folds compact and has a carrying strap. Grandma and grandpa are coming too so I can load them up with stuff too:eek: :D . I'm sure they will be thrilled.

I hope when my boys are 16 I don't purchase their cars like I purchased their strollers:D.

I am with you on the strollers. And I am now thinking that I will have to have a double stroller for both girls when this next one is born in 3 months.

BTW, we did not use the stroller on excursions, but it was a must have for around the ship. DD got to where when we were ready to go, she would climb in by herself.

I can't imagine traveling withouthte Tuscany. We are traveling again tonight (this will make flight 32 for DD in her short 17.5 months) and the Tuscany will again be going along.

If I were you I'd think about bringing the Peg. We always gate checked the stroller, so it was near the entrance of the baggage hole (I mean cargo area) and in all the times we brought strollers we only had one damaged. BTW, Northwest treated it just like a damaged suitcase, and bought me a new one!!!

Guest Time2gocruzn

Well, I think I did it, lol. Yesterday I tackled the task of packing for my boys. I had to sort out what still fits, what doesn't, figure out what the big one has grown out of, see if it fits the little one yet...PHEW!

ANYWAY...here is where my OCD kicks in:rolleyes: :D . I sorted their clothes into outfits. Each outfit (along with undies for my 4 yo) I put in a ziplock bag (squeezed the air out for space). That way, no rifiling thru the suitcase trying to match something up. It is always such a mess when we travel as their stuff is so small, and close to the same size. Now I can just grab a bag for each, no "hey what goes with this" from my DH. Also put stickers on the bags that are my 4 yo so he can tell which bags are his. THEN I just filed them nice and neat in the suitcase, I bought 2 smaller size packs of diapers, put them down the middle as sort of a divider between the 2 yo and 4 yo's stuff and lo and behold..the suitcase zipped right up! Put swim trunks and sun hats in one bag all together. Each boy has his own larger bag of PJ's, socks and 2 undershirts for formal night.

We also decided to use one of our rolling carry on's as a "MISC" bag, lol. It has the life jackets in it, wipes, sand toys, arm floaties, disposable sippy cups, just various stuff like that. We are going to check that bag instead of using it as a carry on.

Also wanted to share that the Walmart here has new kid connection brand wipes that are in a soft pouch, with a hard flip open lid on the top. I have seen these in the huggies brand b4 too. There are 80 in each pouch (same amount as in 1 green tub of pampers). They are nice to pack as they are soft, and small. Only $1.44 (!!) each. They arent the best wipes (just a little thinner than pampers brand), but definately not the worst I have seen. Okay for a week of vacation. I bought 3 and have them stuck in our luggage here and there.

I am so relieved to have the kid stuff all packed, lol. 20 days to go, but nice to have it off my mind. Now I have plenty of time to remember the things I forgot:D. Did I mention I got my docs yesterday?!?! Yippie!!!

Multiple cruises with kids here -- agree with the buy-it-in-port before departure plan, pack it in a box or duffle (we had to pack a case of non concentrated lactose-free formula for our two year old on her first cruise 8 years ago because that was the only way her formula came at the time -- of course it was available in a powder and liquid concentrate about two months after we returned). We packed a box with the consumables for several cruises.

Take the smallest stroller you can deal with.

Consider leaving some clothes and toys behind at the ports you visit to free up space for the trip home.

My big oops for this cruise? I just packed for my 7 year old son last night for a cruise this Sunday and realized that he did not fit in any of his spring / summer pants and shirts (I had some hand me downs that seemed huge last fall :-) ) A sudden shopping trip ensued.

Have a great trip.

We fouind that our luggage was like a big lead weight we had to drag around with us. We bought a lot of things in Ft. Lauderdale (disposable stuff like water, milk boxes, juice boxes, etc.) which were extremely helpful, and we bought sand toys in Mexico, but overall I would have brought less clothing and done more drycleaning on the ship. What we ended up tipping people to deal with our stuff would have covered a decent amount of drycleaning. On the whole, I felt better knowing we had everything we needed; it was just a hassle on either end. AND that's taking into account that we got priority check-in because of the stroller (a nifty thing I didn't realize we'd qualify for), and priority check-in on the airplane because we had frequent flyer mile-upgraded to first class. I can't imagine what a nightmare it would have been if we were traveling in steerage as usual...

I was happy to have all the medications we'd need. Some friends needed medical attention and yes, it was expensive.

Bagging up the outfits is BRILLIANT and would have saved me a lot of time every morning.

My DS had a wheeling Wiggles backpack that I bought on sale at Target for $11, filled with toys, books, crayons/coloring books, snacks, etc. that we kept in the room. That was a lifesaver. He also loved wheeling it around when we didn't have him trapped in the stroller. The stroller was invaluable; we took it on walks around the ship and in port, it's where he took his naps. Even at 2 1/2, it was great. Don't know how a double would work, though...

We have a MacLaren stroller (Quest?) that's a workhorse for traveling; folds up really small and light, but is relatively indestructible. I was lucky that it was a baby gift; they're pretty pricey, but worth it if you plan to travel a lot.

Anyway, those are my random thoughts! Have fun- we can't wait to go again!

mm

Guest Time2gocruzn
Bravo!!! We OCD Mommies feel so much better when we are prepared!!! Not to add to your packing, but you're bringing a little person first aid kit, right? My kids always get something weird at the best worst times. Think hydrocortisone cream!!!

Bagging up the outfits is BRILLIANT and would have saved me a lot of time every morning.

My DS had a wheeling Wiggles backpack that I bought on sale at Target for $11, filled with toys, books, crayons/coloring books, snacks, etc.

Thank you, Thank you, LOL!! :D It is a hobby of mine to obsess about stupid stuff, LOL! (j/k);) :D . I hope the bag thing works as well as I am hoping. Hopefully I wont be drowning in a sea of ziplocks.

Your rolling backpack sounds great! I just got done packing a carry on for my boys and after I had it all done I thought....hmmmm...who is going to carry this? Since it is was to heavy for the 4yo...I guess that would have to be ME. SO it's off to the store tomorrow to look for a rolling case for him, lol.

As far as the meds, I think I have everything we need. I do have the hydrocortisone, neosporin, sunburn stuff, sunblock, kids tylenol, bandaids....I think/hope I have the basics covered anyway.

My biggest mistake so far? WHile it is great to pack early so I have time to get it all organized...I am starting to forget what I have already packed, lol. I am sure I will have to go thru it all again b4 we leave.:rolleyes:

I'm sure you have, but bring a bunch of extra ziplocs; they're great for everything from bringing baby wipes to packing up ice to bring milk on shore excursions. I half-filled a big ziploc each day with ice and grabbed a handful of milk cartons from the Windjammer and juice boxes brought from Ft. Lauderdale (it's ok to take them off the ship as long as they're sealed) for a small soft sided cooler I brought along. So I didn't worry about DS drinking stuff in Mexico...

That's the OCD kicking in again. "I'm all packed but what if I didn't put the blue shirt with the tan shorts and now ALL my baggies are messed up!!!!"

A ziplock is my best friend when I travel with the ankle-biters, packing outfits,(A very wise way to stay organized I would say), little ones to put cookies or PBJ in for the picky toddler, big ones so my shampoo and hair gel and sunscreen and toothpaste and medicines and.... deep breath...:D don't leak and ruin everything!

I'm having so much fun with this thread I forget when you leave??!!!

I figured anyone who has mastered the art of multiple stroller purchasing would remember the first aid kit, but last time we went out of town I left my carefully packed gallon size ziplock full of kiddie meds on my BED AT HOME!!!!!! Luckily we didn't need it, except the thermometer, my daughter doesn't go anywhere without a fever....

Archived