Grand Cayman excursion help

md10074

I posted this on the Grand Cayman board, but figured I would post it here too because you guys probably know more about the Carnival excursions.

Neither I nor my son swim. He's ok with going into deeper water, but if it goes past my chest, I would probably freak out. :eek: My daughter, who will be 7, has a life preserver type thing she can wear and my husband, who can swim, can help hold her. Which excursion would be better for us?

I wanted to do either the Dolphin Encounter and Stingray City one, but do you have to go into deep water or swim at all on that one? If you do, do they have decent life jackets that would keep me afloat?

Then I was looking at the Discover Cayman one, that goes to Stingray City Sandbar, along with Hell and the Turtle Farm. So is Stingray City Sandbar the deep one or is it more shallow?

Finally, I was looking at the Everybody Loves Rays one that goes to Stingray Beach. Anybody ever do that one?

I was hoping to do either the stingrays and dolpin or stingrays and turtle farm, but I don't want to do it if I'm going to freak out if they expect me to jump into deep water or swim. I see there is a Dolphin Encounter that I can book along with Dunn's River Falls in Jamaic, so if we don't do the dolphin in Cayman I guess we could do it there.

Which should i book?

Stingray City is relatively shallow water. Most adults can put their feet on the ground. The waves can some times get above your head, but you will just float with them.

Depending on the excursion, they also take you to another area to snorkel (or swim with the nurse sharks).

Do snorkeling with the sting rays in Stingray City. You get an inflatable vest and you just float on the water. And the water is NOT deep. I'm sure you will be OK.

Can I get an inflatable vest from them, or do I have to go buy one and bring it? I don't want any surprises because believe me, I will freak out. :eek:

Stingray City is relatively shallow water. Most adults can put their feet on the ground. The waves can some times get above your head, but you will just float with them.

Depending on the excursion, they also take you to another area to snorkel (or swim with the nurse sharks).

Above my head? Yikes, I don't like the sound of that.

You will just float along with the wave. Basically your feet will pick up from the sandbar about 8 inches and then you will float back down.

No big deal.

Nothing worse than being in a wave machine pool at your local waterpark.

I haven't been to the Cayman's yet, but will be going at the end of the month.

My sister-in-law can swim, but had some of the same concerns as you. She has 2 young boys, 1 can swim somewhat, the other can't but isn't afraid of the water.

She is leaning towards the stingray city and the turtle farm. From our understanding, the sandbar at stingray city is about waist deep on the adults. They have life jackets that you can use for the kids in the water.

Hopefully someone who has been there can verify the info for us.:)

Sting Ray City is the very best, most exciting tour I've ever done in 19 cruises. Do no miss it. You will remember it the rest of your life. I've done it three times. Use an independent tour supplier.

My feet will pick up 8 inches? No big deal? Haha, you don't know me, it is a big deal. And I would't go to a wave machine pool either. When I go to the beach, if I go into the ocean up to my chest, I have to hang on to my husband's arm and don't let go until we are back to about waist deep water. It's very funny to see. Waist deep is ok, up to my chest if iffy, being lifted up by a wave is not ok.

My feet will pick up 8 inches? No big deal? Haha, you don't know me, it is a big deal. And I would't go to a wave machine pool either. When I go to the beach, if I go into the ocean up to my chest, I have to hang on to my husband's arm and don't let go until we are back to about waist deep water. It's very funny to see. Waist deep is ok, up to my chest if iffy, being lifted up by a wave is not ok.

Then it's all going to depend on the tide and/or where they park the boat.

I have done the tour 4 times and about half the time it is waist deep. Twice, it was a bit choppy and the waves kicked up. The biggest concern was that the stingrays liked to swim along the bottom of the sandbar and when we get lifted up, some times the rays would get under our feet - so naturally when the wave brought us back down, we were concerned that we would step on them.

They do offer vests.

It's something to not miss!

Are you sure they offer vests to adults too? I'd be willling to try it, if I had a vest on that I know would keep my head above water, but mommy having a heart attack because a wave went over her head would not make a good vacation memory. LOL

The life vest will keep your head above the water. Stingray City is not to be missed. I went as a scubadiver years ago & loved it. We did the dolphin swim there just last year. Dolphin Discovery has a website with live chat. They would be able to give you details on the encounter. With the swim, you do wear life vests since you're actually swimming with the dolphins. I think that the encounter is done standing on a platform in the water. Please look up their website - they may have something that will be suitable for you. The dolphins are so cool.

In the meantime, would it be helpful to go to a lake or pool with someone & work on those fears? Go a little ways in & work in increasing the time spent & depth of water perhaps? For me, being in the water is so relaxing. I would love for everyone to feel that way.

I wish we had lakes or pools around here, but I don't know of any. My fear mostly comes from my honeymoon, when my husband said he'd teach me how to swim. Oh, he sure did alright! He let go of me in a pool at Disney World and I dropped to the bottom like a rock. I had contacts in and couldn't even open my eyes to find my way to the surface. I could have killed him. I wish I had a pool in my yard to practice without feeling stupid, but I don't.

This is as deep as the water ever got for me at the stingray sandbar and I'm 5'1 (and a half;))

639993-R1-028-12A_011.jpg

They had life vests all over the boat, it was upto you if you wore one.

Ok, I can handle that. If the definitely have life vests, I'm gonna go for either the Stingrays and Turtle Farm or Stingrays and Dolphin Encounter then. I may never get to do this again and I don't want the kids to miss it either. I think I'm going to need a drink before this one!

Can I get an inflatable vest from them, or do I have to go buy one and bring it? I don't want any surprises because believe me, I will freak out. :eek:

If there is dive shop in your town, look there. There are usually less than 20 dollars. If not search the internet. I know a great dive shop out of Dallas that sells over the internet, great prices and if the order is high enough, free shipping. I do not know if you can send private messages on here or not. If you can, send one to me and I will you what shop I am speaking about.

I wish we had lakes or pools around here, but I don't know of any. My fear mostly comes from my honeymoon, when my husband said he'd teach me how to swim. Oh, he sure did alright! He let go of me in a pool at Disney World and I dropped to the bottom like a rock. I had contacts in and couldn't even open my eyes to find my way to the surface. I could have killed him. I wish I had a pool in my yard to practice without feeling stupid, but I don't.

Try your local YMCA. The even have lessons for adults.

we did stingrays turtle farm and Hell. It was one of my favorite excursions I've ever done. You'll have a great time, and the boats stay super close as you can see in the picture, so if it becomes too much for you, you can always get back onboard and watch. There was one woman in our group who wasn't quite brave enough to stay in the water with the stingrays, so I think she must have gotten in and out of the water at least 10 times. :rolleyes:

Sting Ray City was our highlight last year and we're doing the same again. The water is waist high on this sandbar. Some good deals to get an excursion if you look hard enough. Captain Marvin's our man ! Like 15 people in our boat last year kept an eye on all of us.

That reminds me - when we went snorkeling in Belize, one of my daughters did not want to get in the water. She stayed on the boat with the captain. He brought up a stingray out of the water for her to see up close. She took some pictures of the rest of us in the water. We had to pay regular price for her, but she didn't feel comfortable getting in the water with all the sea life. So, like the other posters mentioned, you could always get back in the boat if you got really scared. Maybe you can practice in the ship's pool. I just don't want you to miss anything. Gosh, I'd come hold your hand if I could!

Archived