NCLer looking at Carnival

Hello all!

I am new to crusing (only one under my belt) but I have 2 more planned. I have always gone through NCL because I am a "Plain Jane". Meaning I don't really like the formal nights and can come and go for dinner,etc... I was looking at some of the cruises that Carnival does and I like the itineraries and prices. They also sail out of New York/New Jersey which is a HUGE plus for me.

I was wondering is Carnival was similar to NCL(meaning laid back crusing)?

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

i can tell you having cruised carnival numerous times, as well as Royal , and princess, i just got off NCL a month ago the Jewel out of NY, and i am now hands down a Carnival cruiser.. youre cruise can be as laid back as you make it. I just didnt care for NCL at all, and ive always been the kind of person to say put me on a ship i dont care what line it is.. but now i do.. never again with NCL, not that it was AWFUL i mean 7 days away from work how bad could it be, but i found that i like Carnival SOO much better.

i can tell you having cruised carnival numerous times, as well as Royal , and princess, i just got off NCL a month ago the Jewel out of NY, and i am now hands down a Carnival cruiser.. youre cruise can be as laid back as you make it. I just didnt care for NCL at all, and ive always been the kind of person to say put me on a ship i dont care what line it is.. but now i do.. never again with NCL, not that it was AWFUL i mean 7 days away from work how bad could it be, but i found that i like Carnival SOO much better.

us too (admittedly based upon one sailing where @ least the itinerary was great:))

*the staff seemed friendlier/more polished on CCL

*food was way better on CCL except the chicken wings in Star's cadillac diner. After 2 lousy meals (food quality & service) in that ships' MDR, we had to resort to the pay as you go restuarants. Wasn't blown away by Cagney's:confused:, settled upon the converted lido/italian place where they turned out good steaks.

*we booked anytime dining on upcoming CCL cruise, did like the concept on NCL

*weren't happy with having to book a minisuite (that didn't have suite percs:rolleyes:) to get a sofabed (and what i'd consider a standard sized cabin w/balcony)

that said, we'd sail NCL again (budgeting for specialty dining everynight) if the itinerary/ports worked & the rate was right..just would check CCL 1st:)

Hello all!

I am new to crusing (only one under my belt) but I have 2 more planned. I have always gone through NCL because I am a "Plain Jane". Meaning I don't really like the formal nights and can come and go for dinner,etc... I was looking at some of the cruises that Carnival does and I like the itineraries and prices. They also sail out of New York/New Jersey which is a HUGE plus for me.

Yes it is similar.

We've done the Miracle out of Manhattan twice and I have to give it to Carnival, they have a great product. Before Carnival, we had only sailed on RCL, so we were a little reluctant to go on another line. After that first Carnival cruise, we were sold.

The Miracle is not the biggest ship, but it's in great condition and it has a great layout. The service was great, and the food was actually better than RCL. Carnival really does live up to their "Fun Ship" slogan.

I see that you're in LI, so getting to the pier should be pretty convenient. We live in CT, so it takes us about 1 hour to the pier.

Take the plunge! You won't regret it.

I had cruised a bunch on CCL, then switched to NCL for a couple cruises and really enjoyed them. Now that CCL has anytime dining, we are back to CCL being our first choice. I think you'll like it, fun but layed back, and anytime dining is almost exactly the same setup as on NCL MDR's.

Hello all!

I have cruised both NCL & CCl along with some others and I prefer CCL over NCL anyday. The NCL ships are nice, alteast the ones we have been on and a bit larger out of NY than CCL but they are more organized. You have more activities to particpate in if you wish and you can go to the dining room each night as the food on CCL is MUCH better in the dining room.

We will sail NCL again, but like another poster said, you have to budget in their specialty restaurants for each night as the food in the dining room is aweful(thinking they did that for this reason)...

Give them a try, I really don't think you will be disappointed...

agreeing with all the above posters, however my thought is that NCL makes the MDR food so awful so you HAVE to pay for the specialty venues..( which i heard realllly werent worth the price you pay) also had 2 mdr meals are resorted to the buffet all week,,and finally gave in to the 10.00 mexican place Tangos, which had delicious lobster tacos..the buffet, which btw had the SAME items everyday.. carnival and royal atleast switch up the buffet menus.. the food was adeqaute but i was never WOW'ed like i am with carnival food.. i CRAVE certain menu items from carnival.. there is NOT one thing id look fwd to again on an NCL..

Archived