Will my hair dryer work with USA voltage on Grand Princess?

debbie1982

Hi wondered if anyone knows if I can use my hair dryer on the ship. I sailed on RCI and they had both a USA and European socket. My hair dryer was so weak in the USA one before I realised I could use the European socket. I know they have hair dryers in the cabins but they aren't powerful enough for my "Monica hair" lol Does Princess have European socket like RC?

I have never seen a UK socket on a Princess Ship only USA ones and only 120 volts

They do have them on Cunard but very close to desktop and most of the extra big plugs on things like hairdryers wont

Best option is to buy a USA hairdryer or a dual voltage one

Hi wondered if anyone knows if I can use my hair dryer on the ship. I sailed on RCI and they had both a USA and European socket. My hair dryer was so weak in the USA one before I realised I could use the European socket. I know they have hair dryers in the cabins but they aren't powerful enough for my "Monica hair" lol Does Princess have European socket like RC?

USA socket (110v) types on the Grand.

Mike

Your drier should have a swith that indicate 110 or 220. When you use it with a North american outlet, you need to put it at 110, Otherwise , your drier you loose 50% of his power

I have never seen a UK socket on a Princess Ship only USA ones and only 120 volts
Several Princess ships have a 220v socket in the cabin. I know the Sea Princess does and I believe the former "R" ships (Royal, Pacific and Ocean) have them as well.

There is a 220v in the bathroom of all Princess ships but it's rated for shavers only. Using a hair dryer could overload the circuit and cause a power outtage.

You have a couple of options: one is to get a converter in addition to the adapter, if you didn't use a converter. Another option is to buy a dual-voltage hair dryer. Many sold in the U.S. are dual-voltage so I bet you can find one that's not too expensive in the U.K. Or, you can purchase a U.S.-voltage hair dryer at Heathrow or when you get to the U.S. Any drugstore carries them.

Here's a photo of the outlet in the bathroom.

Outlet1.jpg.7d2078e4d3aee90bf94780071059dba2.jpg

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I bought a duel voltage one today :)

Hi Debbie1982

I also have a European hairdryer and came on here with the same query (why i love these boards so much :D), can you let me know where you bought your duel voltage one?

Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I got a travel hairdryer from Argos for £10 reduced from £12.99 I think :/

I read all the reviews and this seemed to be the best. I have really thick long hair so it takes an eternity to dry. Its a 2000w one however does say that using it at 110v reduces it to 1200w.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4427531/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHealth+and+personal+care%7C14418350/Trail/searchtext%3EHAIR+DRYER.htm

Hope the link works :)

Debbie

P.s what cruise you going on? we're Grand 10th July from Southampton

Hi Sarah

I got a travel hairdryer from Argos for £10 reduced from £12.99 I think :/

I read all the reviews and this seemed to be the best. I have really thick long hair so it takes an eternity to dry. Its a 2000w one however does say that using it at 110v reduces it to 1200w.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4427531/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHealth+and+personal+care%7C14418350/Trail/searchtext%3EHAIR+DRYER.htm

Hope the link works :)

Debbie

P.s what cruise you going on? we're Grand 10th July from Southampton

Thanks Debbie, the link worked fine and i think im going to order this one also. Im the same as you my hair takes so long to dry so its either this one of a buying a US hairdryer.

We are sailing on the Emeraled from Fort Lauderdale in August, cant wait, so excited

Sarah

Isn't there a hairdryer already in the cabin???

zipadeedoodaa

Yes, but they are hopeless for all but very short hair.

I bought an American hairdryer one year in the Caribbean and keep it for my Princess cruises.

Archived