What to do in La Seyne sur Mer?

amwosu

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do in or very near La Seyne sur Mer/Toulon?

I'm on RCCL's Voyager of the Seas later this month and just realizeed that we will likely dock at La Seyne sur Mer rather that Toulon which is posted on the website (or Marseille which was the port destination when I purchased the cruise).

I can't find much info on what to do in La Seyne sur Mer on the internet other than going to the local beach- Plage des Sablettes. I will be there on Day Six of my cruise (after visiting Capri, Rome, Cinque Terre and Monaco) and before a week in Barcelona so I may just wing it, walk off the ship and see what happens. Better ideas?

I don't want to go too far away- I've been to Avignon, Arles, the Luberon Hill towns, St. Remy & Les Baux and plan to visit Cassis and the Calanques when I have time to really explore.

Ann Marie

If you take a look at this thread from around posting #126 there is some information about getting from La Seyne to Toulon. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1194339&page=7 The thread is about Adventure but it's where I found out about not docking in Toulon (re your question to me on the other thread). I asked the same question about beaches but got the answer that the best beaches are close to Toulon.

I also found the following websites:

http://www.ot-la-seyne-sur-mer.fr/www-office_de_tourisme-648-LS-UK.html

http://www.tripwolf.com/en/guide/show/221012/France/La-SeynesurMer

I think it will probably be a nice enough town just to get off the ship and wander around and maybe head to the beach later.

I cannot say for sure but am making this assumption based on the fact that Adventure, which is the same size as Voyager, has Toulon as a port but is actually docking in La Seyne sur Mer and then bussing people into Toulon, as per this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24578587&highlight=#post24578587.

In much the same way as Villefranche is called 'Nice' it may be that La Seyne sur Mer is being called 'Toulon' ;)

In fact, I think I'll ask the question now on this board

Yes, I can confirm that Voyager is docking in La Seyne sur Mer, not Toulon. It caused us a great deal of frustration and lost time, as we had reserved a car through Sixt Car Rental Maritime.

I cannot say for sure but am making this assumption based on the fact that Adventure, which is the same size as Voyager, has Toulon as a port but is actually docking in La Seyne sur Mer and then bussing people into Toulon, as per this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24578587&highlight=#post24578587.

In much the same way as Villefranche is called 'Nice' it may be that La Seyne sur Mer is being called 'Toulon' ;)

In fact, I think I'll ask the question now on this board

CruiseDaydreamer- I am also on the June 20th Voyager of the Seas cruise from BCN that will dock in Toulon/La Seyne sur Mer on June 26th.

I am finding very little information but when reading trip reports it appears that the Voyager class ships are too large to dock in Toulon and are therefore docking in nearby La Seyne sur Mer. The two towns are about 6 miles apart I believe. If you have a tour guide they perhaps already have guided others from Voyager class ships and may know whether this is the case or not.

Ann Marie

Yes, I can confirm that Voyager is docking in La Seyne sur Mer, not Toulon. It caused us a great deal of frustration and lost time, as we had reserved a car through Sixt Car Rental Maritime.

Many thanks for confirming this. I'll make my plans accordingly - which may even involve staying on the ship :rolleyes:

No need to stay on the ship. Just find a car rental that will pick you up and take you to the car. Sixt car rental did that for us. We drove up to Aix for the day. We dropped the car off at the pier. I got some advice on this board that made it seem like we could walk to Sixt Car rental Maritime, when it fact we were docked in LaSey Mer not Livorno. Close but too far to walk.

You'll regret it if you stay on board......she says as she sips her French wine! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry too much about tendering at La Seyne sur Mer instead of Toulon. Toulon is a city and is not that interesting in itself. There are better places to spend time than Toulon. Besides just walking around Seyne or going to the beach, one idea is to take a taxi up to the medieval village of Le Castellet (not Le Plan du Castellet) 23 km or 26 minutes away. Cassis is supposed to be nice, but is further away and there are lots of places to explore in the westerly direction (away from Toulon) unless you really want to go to St. Tropez, which is maybe a 2-2.5 hour car ride away east of La Seyne/Toulon.

Archived