Help please:confused: There are 4 of us, 2 adults, 2 teenagers 14 and 16

Would it be cheaper to go into Venice on our own by water taxi and get a gondola ride there?

Book the Venice gondola and St Marks excursion? £46/26

Or the Venice on your own excursion and get a gondola ride when there? £20/10

Don't know what age they qualify as child price, and I've been told gondola rides are expensive.

Thanks

Would it be cheaper to go into Venice on our own by water taxi and get a gondola ride there?

Don't know what age they qualify as child price, and I've been told gondola rides are expensive.

Thanks

I THINK (but not sure) that gondola rides are 120E per gondola seating 6 people. It's also 6.5E per adult (don't know child's fare) each way on the vaporetto. I think that (vaporetto) fare is grossly over-expensive for what they are. BUT, it you want to get into Venice on your own, that's the only option really unless you are reasonably good walkers. With a good map it is perfectly possible and easy to get into the city on foot (and half the joy of Venice is wandering around finding all sorts of nooks and crannies - the best ones being away from the main tourist trails!)

If you go the most direct way to St Marks it may take 45 minutes or so. We met lots of fellow passengers who had walked both ways and probably didn't walk much further than us as we had to walk to the P.Roma to catch the vaporetto - then found it only went to the Rialto so had to walk the rest to St Mark's! Coming back it sailed past the port where we wanted to get off so we had to back-track - about a 15 minute walk!

If you decide to walk it - get back to me and I can suggest the route we've decided we'll try in future if we ever end up in Venice again (we had a good look at Google Earth and realised we paid 13E for the two of us to go on the vaporetto and then walk a good way when we were actually quite near the port in the first place!!). It seems a bit daunting - but as you can get anywhere on foot in Venice (provided you up for the walk) you really don't need to worry about missing the ship as long as you allow plenty of time to get back.

When I went to Venice 2 years ago my cousin & I went on a gondola late in the afternoon.We saw two gondoliers stood chatting so I went up and asked how much it would be for just the two of us to go on a gondola- he said 60 euros altogether so we indulged.

Maybe it was cheaper because the rush had gone?

Flopsy

When I went to Venice 2 years ago my cousin & I went on a gondola late in the afternoon.We saw two gondoliers stood chatting so I went up and asked how much it would be for just the two of us to go on a gondola- he said 60 euros altogether so we indulged.

Maybe it was cheaper because the rush had gone?

Flopsy

Good advice, Flopsy. It could well be a good idea to try later in the day - it gets manic from mid-morning onwards (including all the organised trips from the ships). I think most of the organised excursions are in the morning - and if some of the huge ships which are invariably in dock too leave a bit earlier then that will take a bit of pressure off too.

Thanks

if you want the romance of a decorated gondola yes and no all gondoliers do not sing infact in 2 days passing many gondolas we only heard 1 singing if you just want to experience of riding on the canal in a gondola look out for the green posts and the green trimmed gondolas which are like a local ferry and will take you from one spot on the canal to another set drop off point and cost only a few euro.

We were in Venice May 2009.There is a regular direct water bus ( Alilaguna ) direct from the port to St Marks Square, only when cruise ships are in port.It is 6.50 euros one way and 12 euros return. Not cheap but nothing in Venice is. It only takes 20 minutes and is really easy to use and gets you right to St Marks.You get your tickets at the booth before you get onto the boat. From St Marks it is easy to see a lot of the sites on foot.

Hi, we have just returned from the Adriatic cruise, you will love it!

We took the Venice on your own trip with Thomsons, arriving in St Marks square at about 9.30. We went for a gondola almost straight away, through the square not on the frontage, no queues. A 35 minute ride cost us 80 euro for two of us. It was lovely but we ended up in a bit of a traffic jam due to some building work so we lost time waiting in a queue. The gondolier tried to get us to pay more for a longer ride but he was fine when we said no. We found we had plenty of time in Venice on that full day trip.

I have mentioned before about Kuna/Euro in another thread. We found it easier to pay in Kuna and took money from the ATM. It worked out better on the exchange rate than paying in Euros.

If you want any further particular info please ask away.:)

:DThat's great thanks, Not particularly bothered about being sung too, I know the words to just one cornetto, so i'll give it a go myself;) The kids would be mortified:D

I think it will be better to do rome on your own trip and get gondelier trip when there then by the sounds of it.

Thanks everyone.

:DThat's great thanks, Not particularly bothered about being sung too, I know the words to just one cornetto, so i'll give it a go myself;) The kids would be mortified:D

I think it will be better to do rome on your own trip and get gondelier trip when there then by the sounds of it.

Thanks everyone.

Better do VENICE on your own:D:D

Thanks everyone.

And if you have time, go over the Accademia Bridge and across to the waterfront along the Guidecca Canal - on Fondamente Zattere is Nico's gelateria. The ice creams are wonderful!! Double scoop amaretto 1.70E - bliss! And what a bargain! :D Enjoy!

Hi Kruzseeka.....we are departing 11.6.10 on B2B Pearls and Adriatic Ex and are interested in 'walking into Venice'. We would appreciate your 'proposed future route' very much. Not afraid of walking!

Hi Kruzseeka.....we are departing 11.6.10 on B2B Pearls and Adriatic Ex and are interested in 'walking into Venice'. We would appreciate your 'proposed future route' very much. Not afraid of walking!

Hi – well it’s not quite as easy as Sat Nav instructions because, stating the obvious, the place is criss-crossed with canals which makes any direct route impossible really – you are faced with lots of ‘dog-leg’ manoeuvres to negotiate the canals and get over the bridges (which aren’t necessarily right in front of you!). But having said that, you always seem to get to St Marks however ‘lost’ you think you are on the way. Keep an eye out for the direction arrows fixed to buildings at first floor level. Almost every junction you will see signs for ‘S. Marco’ or ‘Rialto’ which are the directions most tourists are making for.

I assume you will be making for St Mark’s Square – it’s a good plan to get off early and get there before it’s full of tourists. (It’s interesting to go back a bit later in the day to get a feel of the buzz around here but to see the buildings at their best and take advantage of getting into attractions ahead of the guided groups it’s good to be there early.)

The ships berth in the dock on the western edge of the city (you sail in through the Guidecca Canal). Now, you have to get out of the docks which involves walking - there’s only one direction to go really - to the end of the docks and slightly uphill towards the main road. You will see this major road overhead on the bridge. You will see an oldish, red-brick wall on your right – walk along the pavement here until you meet the main road and turn right towards Piazzale Roma. This then takes you to the point where you have to make a decision. (10-ish minute walk to this point.)

If you have a look at a map or Google Earth, you will see that to get to St Mark’s you have to get over the Grand Canal which involves making for the Rialto Bridge or the Accademia Bridge – and it’s debatable which is the better bet. (Doesn’t look like there’s much in it really.) You are heading pretty well due East for the Rialto and then South for S. Marco or for the Accademia it’s S.E. then East for S. Marco.

From P.Roma to S. Marco via the Rialto Bridge, I’d try making for the churches S. Rocco, (the churches are good land marks and always shown on the maps!), then S. Pollo then off to the Rialto – this happens to be fairly direct but going over half a dozen bridges or so. I’m pretty confident from Piazalle Roma there will be signs at frequent intervals for the Rialto. Once over the Rialto Bridge follow the signs to S. Marco. It’s a rabbit warren of streets – impossible to give instructions but it is very well signed. (My DH is following this on a map now as I’m trying to see if the instructions work!!! and he thinks this is probably slightly shorter and definitely more straight forward than the next route but says there’s not much in it distance-wise. His advice: go via the Rialto into Venice return the other way!!) [And get an ice cream at Nico's - see later - that's MY advice!! ;) ]

The alternative is to make for the Accademia Bridge (worth going to later if you go via the Rialto on the way in – classic Venice views from the bridge). This route looks a little more tortuous getting over the bridges from P.Roma towards the Guidecca Canal (you would definitely benefit from having a map though just to keep your bearings especially going this way) then a little over to the right is the Accademia Bridge – again we found this very well signed. Once over the bridge make for San Stephano (church) or Piazza S. Stephano (same place) then follow signs for S. Marco again.

But although you will constantly feel lost and will almost certainly end up in a dead end or two – all roads (or should I say bridges!) lead to S. Mark’s and you will find it even with a slight detour or two. In fact they say the best thing to do in Venice is get lost!!!

Just a couple of good ice cream recommendations from the AA guide (and tried and tested by yours truly!) – in Piazza S. Stephano is café Paolin and on the waterfront of the Guidecca Canal on Fondementa Zattere, Dorsoduro 922 is Nico’s. Enjoy!

I hope you don’t find this all a bit vague and confusing – it’s really hard to be precise finding your way round Venice (and knowing exactly where you are until you get there!) but it’s great fun and not a bit problematic – just look for the signs on the walls/use churches as landmarks and remember all roads lead to Rome – or should that be the tourist hotspots (i.e. S.Mark’s)! But I do recommend a map for a bit of security/confidence.

It's a wonderful city and a great itinerary. Have a wonderful time!! Not long now! :D

And if you have time, go over the Accademia Bridge and across to the waterfront along the Guidecca Canal - on Fondamente Zattere is Nico's gelateria. The ice creams are wonderful!! Double scoop amaretto 1.70E - bliss! And what a bargain! :D Enjoy!

Better do VENICE on your own:D:D

:confused: I've been planning Rome now for 13 months, I'll probably ask the way to the Vatican when I get to St Marks Square:eek:

I've got a slightly different itinerary next year on Destiny than we were having on Dream, i don't know where I'm going now, too many places, too many ships:D

Hi....thank you so much for such a detailed walking tour. We shall do our best to follow it. I'm sure we WILL get lost and take a wrong turning along the way but who cares, we are on holiday. Who knows we may even find another route to St Mark's Square. Thank you also to your DH for getting involved! The ice creams stops sound like a must! I will let you know on our return how we coped.

Archived