Cell Phone Charges on my iPhone

I waited to write until I had received two billing cyles from my cell provider (Rogers).

I made and received text messages while on board.

I kept my iPhone on at all times.

In settings, I made sure that Data Roaming was set to off. I most certainly did not have my iPhone set to airplane mode.

I purchased WiFi internet form Carnival.

Cruise: Destiny Western Caribbean...Miami, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau, Miami

Charges:

Incoming Texts: no charges for incoming

Sent Texts: $0.75 / text. This was the same charge for texts sent while on board or on land, both in the Caribbean and while in Miami.

Emails: no charges at all. All emails sent and received used data minutes purchased on board.

Calls: Here's the great part. Skype works for making calls out. Did not receive any calls, but I would not have answered in any case.

Someone posted that they didn't think Skype would work, but I can assure you that it worked and was very clear.

Cost for making skype calls: Skype calls are free to Canada/US with a plan ($30/year). No additional charges other than the internet charges which were about $25 for 60 minutes. That works out to less than 50 cents per minute...way less than making a call using Carnival's marine cell phone service.

Anyone with an iPhone, you must download Skype!

Also, let my report put to rest the myths about horrendous charges from their cell phone providers. My phone was on all day. I shut it off at night. Ship internet charges are for use only, and my phone being on but not being used does not suck up charges "looking" for a signal.

I heard these same stories before going on vacation to land based locations. I now know that I one will not get charged for leaving their phone on.

I read on this forum about people being charged while on a cruise, and while I had suspicions that they were bogus, I thought I would hold my opinion until I had received my cell phone bill. In fact, two bills since I returned from the cruise, just in case there was delayed billing.

Those who received big bills from their cell providers must not have turned off data roaming. There is no other reason. Period.

Free WiFi Internet: Available in Grand Turk, at the smoothie shop. I can;t rememeber the name. Also, Jack's Shack has free (but not reliable) WiFi.

Yes you can rack up a pretty nice phone bill if you don't shut off your ROAMING settings...

I overheard someone say, i cna't believe i can get my phone to work on the ship, i have been talking all day! I tried to explain to them that they are racking up a big bill....

Wish i could have been a fly on the wall when he got home and opened that bill....

If you are hear....I TOLD YOU SO!! ;)

We (DH and I) have a phone plan through Telus.

Last year on our cruise the only charges we had were when we went on the internet with our phones, and out going texts.

We had our phones turned on the entire time and we never got charged for roaming.

I had my IPhone set to airplane mode and my sister did not. She had a $320. She played games on hers that did not use the internet but was charged for playing them because data was sent. She made one $30 phone call, but the rest was from having her IPhone on.

So yes, be careful if you have an IPhone. It is not bogus. Just put it on airplane mode and you won't have to worry about it. She had 3 kids at home that she wanted to know if they were calling so she didn't shut hers off. They did take all the charges off when she called to complain. At first they told her no, but when she told them to cancel her account they did remove the charges (she did pay for what she willingly used on the cruise).

Be careful on land. An aunt of mine went to the Bahamas and did a lot of texting. She knew it cost, but needed to keep track of where her family was and all. She came home to a bill of several hundred dollars in texting! I don't know her provider or plan (i.e. if she has unlimited U.S. texting or not).

(And, yes, my aunt is definitely addicted to texting! I swear she texts more than a teenager, LOL, though I don't know any teenagers so can't really do a fair comparison.)

I waited to write until I had received two

Sent Texts: $0.75 / text. This was the same charge for texts sent while on board or on land, both in the Caribbean and while in Miami.

Emails: no charges at all. All emails sent and received used data minutes purchased on board.

Calls: Here's the great part. Skype works for making calls out. Did not receive any calls, but I would not have answered in any case.

Please don't let the boss see this. My main reason for cruising is so I can't get emails, texts & calls from work :eek:

Use to visit the mountains until the towers started sprouting up there.

I had my IPhone set to airplane mode and my sister did not. She had a $320. She played games on hers that did not use the internet but was charged for playing them because data was sent. She made one $30 phone call, but the rest was from having her IPhone on.

So yes, be careful if you have an IPhone. It is not bogus. Just put it on airplane mode and you won't have to worry about it. She had 3 kids at home that she wanted to know if they were calling so she didn't shut hers off. They did take all the charges off when she called to complain. At first they told her no, but when she told them to cancel her account they did remove the charges (she did pay for what she willingly used on the cruise).

Your sister's charges had nothing to do with her phone not being set to Airplane mode, but rather that she had data roaming set to ON. You only get data charges if you have not turned off data roaming. Yes Airplane mode will achieve that too, but you don't need to turn off the phone to avoid data charges. There is a difference between Airplane mode and Data Roaming. Keeping your phone on Airplane mode turns an iPhone into an iPod. Keeping phone on but with data roaming off allows you to receive a call or a text and send texts. Airplane mode doesn't allow for any calls or texts or data.

So, Phone on, Data roaming off. You needn't set to Airplane mode, especially if you want to receive a call. There are no phantom charges for leaving the phone on with data roaming off. There are no cell charges even if someone phones you as long as you don't answer the call or check the visual voice mail.

Texting is cheaper than phoning. Check the caller ID and contact them by text rather than by phone.

Your sister was fortunate to have her data charges forgiven.

Besides Skype there is Vonage. There is a Vonga app for the Iphone. We use Vonage for our home phone service. So where ever we can get a wifi connection we can make free calls on the iphone via Vonage.

What?!? Are you serious?? We have Vonage at home as well. DH isn't coming on our August cruise (mother-daughter time :)) and I'd love to be able to keep in touch. Looks like I better download the Vonage app. Thanks so much for the info!!

:D

I am a customer service rep for a cell phone company and I have seen huge bills from both cruises/international roaming. It is correct that if you turn off data roaming AND data sync, you won't get data roaming charges while not actively on the interent. I don't know about all companies, but my company charges for one minute for every call received on the phone while powered on, answered or not. $4.99 for a missed call, you do not want that. I tell all my customers that call and ask about roaming to keep the phone off unless they are using it.

As far as using skype or vonage apps, there is no way I would chance it. I understand exactly how it works but there is still absolutely no way I would do it. If a customer asked me about it, I would let them know this is not a guaranteed way to avoid charges and they would be responsible for any and all charges.

I am a customer service rep for a cell phone company and I have seen huge bills from both cruises/international roaming. It is correct that if you turn off data roaming AND data sync, you won't get data roaming charges while not actively on the interent. I don't know about all companies, but my company charges for one minute for every call received on the phone while powered on, answered or not. $4.99 for a missed call, you do not want that. I tell all my customers that call and ask about roaming to keep the phone off unless they are using it.

As far as using skype or vonage apps, there is no way I would chance it. I understand exactly how it works but there is still absolutely no way I would do it. If a customer asked me about it, I would let them know this is not a guaranteed way to avoid charges and they would be responsible for any and all charges.

Does your employer make the same charge applicable everywhere or just on ships?

Can you imagine. You're walking around somewhere in the US and get a call but decide not to answer it. You're telling us that your company will charge $4.99?

That being the case, you better start looking for another job, 'cause they'll be out of business real soon.

There is absolutely no way to be charged for making a Skype call. Skype calls use data, so the charges would be paid to the ship for use of their internet. (Exception is if one used Skype 3G, but then you have to turn on data roaming and if you do that, you'll be sorry!)

In settings, I made sure that Data Roaming was set to off. I most certainly did not have my iPhone set to airplane mode.

Those who received big bills from their cell providers must not have turned off data roaming. There is no other reason. Period.

I have an iphone. Where is this "data roaming" and how do you turn it off. I keep my wifi off unless at home, Notifications off etc. Would like to know for next time.

Thanks for the info.

Does your employer make the same charge applicable everywhere or just on ships?

Can you imagine. You're walking around somewhere in the US and get a call but decide not to answer it. You're telling us that your company will charge $4.99?

That being the case, you better start looking for another job, 'cause they'll be out of business real soon.

There is absolutely no way to be charged for making a Skype call. Skype calls use data, so the charges would be paid to the ship for use of their internet. (Exception is if one used Skype 3G, but then you have to turn on data roaming and if you do that, you'll be sorry!)

If the International Roaming Rate on the ship is $4.99/minute then yes, you would be billed for that amount due to a rejected/sent to v.m. call.

For outgoing calls, usage time starts when you first press SEND or the call connects to a network, and for incoming calls, it starts when the call connects to a network (which may be before it rings). Usage time may end several seconds after you press END or after the call disconnects.

Sample from VZW, most carriers are the same way. The carriers do not round off to the second, so you are charged for 1 full minute.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/globalText?textName=CUSTOMER_AGREEMENT&jspName=footer/customerAgreement.jsp

I use Rogers for My iPhone, and even at home I have all data turned off (except for WIFI) cause I don't want to have a huge data bill, and there are sooooo many free WIFI hot spots available anyway that I don't really need cellular internet... so when we cruise with data turned off (except for WIFI) my only bill should be for any calls I make.

You must work for Verizon because that who i have . I went on the Victory in Feb and i came home to a 350.00 bill. Most of it was for calls that were not answered. I will not do that again!!!!!!!!:mad:

Your sister's charges had nothing to do with her phone not being set to Airplane mode, but rather that she had data roaming set to ON. You only get data charges if you have not turned off data roaming. Yes Airplane mode will achieve that too, but you don't need to turn off the phone to avoid data charges. There is a difference between Airplane mode and Data Roaming. Keeping your phone on Airplane mode turns an iPhone into an iPod. Keeping phone on but with data roaming off allows you to receive a call or a text and send texts. Airplane mode doesn't allow for any calls or texts or data.

So, Phone on, Data roaming off. You needn't set to Airplane mode, especially if you want to receive a call. There are no phantom charges for leaving the phone on with data roaming off. There are no cell charges even if someone phones you as long as you don't answer the call or check the visual voice mail.

Texting is cheaper than phoning. Check the caller ID and contact them by text rather than by phone.

Your sister was fortunate to have her data charges forgiven.

Regardless of whether you use airplane mode or turn off your data roaming, the point is to do something. I was not aware that you would be charged for simply having your phone on. It is ridiculous to be charged to not use the internet, texts, or make/receive phone calls.

Our first cruise in 2005, we did not bring a portable clock - no problem since we had our cell phone and everyone who had our number knew not to call us and we weren't making any calls, so we just used it as a clock......that was the most expensive clock in the world because the entire time it was on, it was searching for the mother ship even if we didn't make calls!! We got home and found out we had a $389 clock on the ship. We did call ATT and they were pretty good about it. The posted international roaming plan to our phone for the time we were gone so the roaming was cheaper. This was before internet and it was just a plain phone. We ended up getting charge $89 extra with the post dated plan they added. Now we have a Blackberry and it is on all the time. ATT does allow us to put the international roaming on for the month that our travel takes place. With international roaming, it is much cheaper (texts in and out are about $1 each and phone calls are $2.99 minute.) We also buy the data package roaming for $102.00 which gives us all the data we need to leave our phone on 24/7 even on the cruise ship and traveling out of the country. The other blackberry we turn off the data but keep the international roaming for phone calls and texts. It is a little expense but we like to have our phones in case we need them. Most often it is to find each other if we get separated in crowds or tourist places.

I waited to write until I had received two billing cyles from my cell provider (Rogers).

I made and received text messages while on board.

I kept my iPhone on at all times.

I purchased WiFi internet form Carnival.

Cruise: Destiny Western Caribbean...Miami, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau, Miami

Charges:

Someone posted that they didn't think Skype would work, but I can assure you that it worked and was very clear.

Cost for making skype calls: Skype calls are free to Canada/US with a plan ($30/year). No additional charges other than the internet charges which were about $25 for 60 minutes. That works out to less than 50 cents per minute...way less than making a call using Carnival's marine cell phone service.

Anyone with an iPhone, you must download Skype!

Also, let my report put to rest the myths about horrendous charges from their cell phone providers. My phone was on all day. I shut it off at night. Ship internet charges are for use only, and my phone being on but not being used does not suck up charges "looking" for a signal.

I heard these same stories before going on vacation to land based locations. I now know that I one will not get charged for leaving their phone on.

I read on this forum about people being charged while on a cruise, and while I had suspicions that they were bogus, I thought I would hold my opinion until I had received my cell phone bill. In fact, two bills since I returned from the cruise, just in case there was delayed billing.

Free WiFi Internet: Available in Grand Turk, at the smoothie shop. I can;t rememeber the name. Also, Jack's Shack has free (but not reliable) WiFi.

As the roaming packages are always changing please check the Rogers dot com.. then travelling with your phone!

Last September i added a plan for $10 a month, this enabled me to use 170mb of data in the USA (thought it was on edge rather than Hspa which is what both my iPia and i favour) had i not added the plan i would have been charged $170 for my usage... with the plan $17. I also did add a text messaging plan for easy contact with my cat sitters (humour me). and also a calling plan for the USA (I did not use the phone on the boat.. at $7.50 a minute thats nuts) but used it in USA ports (Please also note that all incoming text messages were free :) but i only know Rogers rates :)

After reading this, I checked my iphone and my data roaming was off. I guess I did that when I cruised in October or December but never turned it back on and haven't noticed any changes. So, why do I need this turned on in my day to day living? Just curious since I use everything on my phone.

After reading this, I checked my iphone and my data roaming was off. I guess I did that when I cruised in October or December but never turned it back on and haven't noticed any changes. So, why do I need this turned on in my day to day living? Just curious since I use everything on my phone.

You wouldn't, unless you were somewhere that is considered roaming.

I have an iphone. Where is this "data roaming" and how do you turn it off. I keep my wifi off unless at home, Notifications off etc. Would like to know for next time.

Thanks for the info.

Go to - Settings, ---> General ----> Network ---> data roaming :D

Archived