Mount Rainier Driving Tour Question

Hubby & I will be in Seattle pre-cruise July 1st through 3rd (cruise begins 7/4). One of those days, we plan to drive to Snoqualmie Falls, then to Northwestern Wildlife Trek in Eatonville and MAYBE the short drive on to Mount Rainier. I've researched on the internet and have learned that there are four (4) driving tour loops in the park, but the shortest one is 2 1/2 hours. I'm afraid we won't last that long after driving from place to place, knowing we'll have to drive back to Seattle afterward. My question is....Are the roads on these "loops" two-way roads so that we can turn around and go back 30 minutes into it, or are we stuck on the loop once we get started?

We drove through on Hwy#7 West to East and then took Hwy#12 further east to Yakima. Found it to be a pleasant Mountain forest drive with no great ohs and awes for us. We are a bit jaded though coming from Mountain country ourselves.

If you want trees you got em. Roads are all two way.

I can recommend the Snoqualmie Falls for sure. :)

Thanks, LeftCoast!! Yeah, I guess you are a little spoiled, mountain-wise. I'm pretty sure our NC mountains (which are 3 hours away from us) don't compare to your mountains. Thanks for the 2-way road info, though; I got us stuck in a one-way situation once upon a time, and someone hasn't forgotten that yet!!! :o

• 3 weeks later...
Hubby & I will be in Seattle pre-cruise July 1st through 3rd (cruise begins 7/4). One of those days, we plan to drive to Snoqualmie Falls, then to Northwestern Wildlife Trek in Eatonville and MAYBE the short drive on to Mount Rainier. I've researched on the internet and have learned that there are four (4) driving tour loops in the park, but the shortest one is 2 1/2 hours. I'm afraid we won't last that long after driving from place to place, knowing we'll have to drive back to Seattle afterward. My question is....Are the roads on these "loops" two-way roads so that we can turn around and go back 30 minutes into it, or are we stuck on the loop once we get started?

Your best bet is to go to Paridise at the 6,000 ft level. There will still be 8 ft + of snow, but real close to Eatonvile.

Your best bet is to go to Paridise at the 6,000 ft level. There will still be 8 ft + of snow, but real close to Eatonvile.

Ditto this suggestion, plus the visitor center at Paradise is the biggest, and the cool old lodge is up there too. FYI, the snow will be on the ground but not on the road.

If you're short on time, there's a good short hike (took my 3-year-old on Mothers' Day--no snow on the ground then) at Longmire, which you get to before Paradise. Lots of big old trees but not the same "OMG I'm on a mountain" feeling as up at Paradise.

Thanks, Calikak and Mukluk. The "loop" I had chosen (per the internet) goes toward Paradise and keeps on going. I hope to go by a waterfall or two, get some great pictures, and then head back to Seattle. We'll just play it by ear. We're under the one-week mark now, and SO excited.

Archived