Alaska Native Heritage Center and Flat Top Mountain trail hike

slumdogtexan

I have planned for just one day in Anchorage. Will I be able to do Alaska Native Heritage Center and a hike to Flattop Mountain trail without being rushed ?

Can anyone please provide time estimates for these 2 activities. Renting van so transportation is ok. I am hoping I will have enough time to do both leisurely and then have some time to bike late evening in the Tony Knowles Coastal trail.

BQ? AK Susan ?

TIA

I have planned for just one day in Anchorage. Will I be able to do Alaska Native Heritage Center and a hike to Flattop Mountain trail without being rushed ?

Can anyone please provide time estimates for these 2 activities. Renting van so transportation is ok. I am hoping I will have enough time to do both leisurely and then have some time to bike late evening in the Tony Knowles Coastal trail.

BQ? AK Susan ?

TIA

If it's your first time to the Alaska Native Heritage Center (and you want to see some of the dance and other live things that they do) you could easily be there from two to four hours.

I've never done Flat Top but checking out the local trails group they say its 3 miles and should take about 2 hours. Now saying that I'm not sure what type of shape you're in so it could take more than that or less than that.

The only thing you could run into in to doing a bike ride late evening is that the bike shop could possibly want their bike back before that.

Susan in Anchorage :)

You could if you planned carefully. My suggestion would be to do flat top first. I would plan for about 3 hours roughly factoring in breaks, picturing taking and gasps of "Wow what a view? oh and the huffing and puffing to lol also keep a sharp out for wild animals they live in the park to you know lol. Note its been years since ive done flat top but ive done it before. I also dont know what shape your in so thats always a factor. Its douable but its very hilly. Then after conquaring hilltop go check out the Alaska Native Haritage centre. Its an awesome place with lots of great things to see and do. Also for dinner look at Sourdough mining company its a great place to eat and very Alaskanesque :).

On a serious note Bears, moose and other animals live in the park above and around Anchorage so keep that in mind and stay sharp and be carefull and aware.

You hear huffing and puffing and your hair on the back of your neck stands out think bear assume bear even if it isent and exit as soon as possible.

Also when biking, hiking, walking etc etc make noise let the animals know your out thier, loud talking, singing, whistling is awesome.

Take some water, snacks, a small first aide kit, cell phone, Bug spray, Suntan lotion, great shoes, a change of sox is not a bad idea either. A map of the area is not a bad idea either. My suggestion is dont go wondering to far off any beaten paths at least on marked trails thier are signs and so forth. Thier will be others using the park.

Also common curtusy(sp) is should you encounter a moose, bear etc let any other travelers on the trail you see know what aninmal you saw. A simple Moose or Bear or porcupine and then kind of give a general idea like just behind me say 15 yards or so roughly I saw a Porcupine. They will usually and hopefully smile, nod and appreate it.

It is perfectly ok to whiz by panting yelling BEAR at the top of your lunges and generally people will get it and hopefully turn and follow you quickly lol. Ok that was meant to be some Alaskan humour lol :).

Adri :)

thanks very much Susan and Adri. Your input is much appreciated.

We are not in best of shape ( kids from 10 to 75 :-) but still want to try do this. As suggested by Adri I am going to plan on Flat Top first.

Sorry for the noob question, but are there Park hours ? I didn't see any in the Chugach state Park page. Don't want to show up at 7 am and find out the Park opens at 9 am.

Thanks again for your help

You didn't say what date you will be in Anchorage, but Flat Top is a place where you need to be very aware of mother moose with their calves. Very dangerous!

You say you have 'kids' 10 to 75 in your party. Well, you need to rethink Flat Top for the older 'kids'.

My family home is not far from Flat Top and has much the same view. We are all extremely careful with moose! Never, ever get between a mother and her calf or calves. She will become a monster! I'm not kidding.

As far as the difficulty of the hike itself, I would rate it a medium hike. It is actually more difficult coming down than going up as it takes a toll on your knees. I can do the up hill part but I'm getting over a serious injury and wouldn't even think of attempting the down hill. Chugach State Park is huge and accessable from a variety of parking areas. I am not aware of any hours as the long days make using the park much more desirable.

I think you have a great day planned. I've climbed Flattop, but it's been a while. I could still get up the mountain (eventually), but my knees wouldn't appreciate the trip down anymore. Anyway, probably not all of you will make it to the top. The youngest ones will most likely be wanting to race ahead, and on Flattop that is not a good idea. It seems like there is at least one rescue from Flattop every year, and it nearly always (or even always) stems from someone leaving the trail. The area is deceptive looking, and you can suddenly find yourself in a place you can't get out of, or even hurt from falling. So, my advice is to always keep an adult with any children, just to keep them on the right path.

Don't forget snacks and water, and remember that the weather up there can change quickly, so if it's a nice day and you think you won't need a jacket, think again. Also learn what cow parsnip http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_Parsnip looks like and don't touch it on a sunny day: http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-weeds/weedspeciespage/cow_parsnip/Cow_parsnip_Heracleum_lanatum_page.html

Adri--you gave me my first LOL of the day today...thanks!

thanks very much Susan and Adri. Your input is much appreciated.

We are not in best of shape ( kids from 10 to 75 :-) but still want to try do this. As suggested by Adri I am going to plan on Flat Top first.

Sorry for the noob question, but are there Park hours ? I didn't see any in the Chugach state Park page. Don't want to show up at 7 am and find out the Park opens at 9 am.

Thanks again for your help

I found their web page and there are no hours posted http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aspunits/chugach/glenalps.htm so I called the Chugach State Park office and no there are no set hours up there. You can go anytime you wan.t There will be a $5 parking fee though.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thanks a lot folks for all the information provided. Yeah, few of the "kids" may have to stay in the parking lot i guess. Planning to go on July 5th.

I love you guys ..

Your welcome the thing to keep in mind if you do have kids in the parking lot. Ask yourself will they wonder off? Will they be safe in the Parking lot? This is a park and a few feet away from the parking lot is wild nature.

Moose and Bear will be right thier. They maybe used to people but be aware they are wild animals. As pointed out Moose with calves are very unpredictible.

As far as kids racing ahead thats dangerous. Even a day hike in Alaska is somthing to plan and prepare for as I mentioned. I think Flat top is awesome but its rather a brisk walk so be prepared.

Your welcome the thing to keep in mind if you do have kids in the parking lot. Ask yourself will they wonder off? Will they be safe in the Parking lot?

I think their reference to "kids" was the older people...

I think their reference to "kids" was the older people...

Gotcha I wasent quite awake yet lol but I get it now and im glad I got you to chuckle. I have to admit ive whizzed by people a few times yelling bear and hoping they would follow me. They always did and do lmao :). Thankfully its only happend twice in all my life here in AK :).

Adri

Archived