Alaskan cruise..do we pack carseats and stroller?

TwinMom10

Hello, We'll be going on our first cruise with the kids (2.5 year old twins). Do we need to bring carseats and our double stroller for the land part of the trip?

Before anyone makes any negative remarks about us bringing our kids. I just want to say that its our decision and they are coming with us and participating in this vacation too. I've taken them tent camping for 2 nights while I cooked over an open fire and we had a great time and this trip will fantastica as well. If I had listened to all those discouraging remarks that people say about having twins, I would be holed up somewhere crying all the time.

Why would anyone say anything about your kids???? 90% of cruisers have their kids with them!

Yes--bring what you need to make life easier for you and them! If you use a stroller at home, you should have it on vacation...same with carseats, unless you will only be riding in buses without seatbelts. If you're using cabs, you will need those seats!

Hello, We'll be going on our first cruise with the kids (2.5 year old twins). Do we need to bring carseats and our double stroller for the land part of the trip?

Before anyone makes any negative remarks about us bringing our kids. I just want to say that its our decision and they are coming with us and participating in this vacation too. I've taken them tent camping for 2 nights while I cooked over an open fire and we had a great time and this trip will fantastica as well. If I had listened to all those discouraging remarks that people say about having twins, I would be holed up somewhere crying all the time.

Big deep breath. Trust me no flames about travelling with kids from me and most of the people in this forum. We've been flying w/ DD since she was 5 months old. We take her everywhere with us.

If you plan on taking any excursions check to see what type of vehicles they will be using. A lot of the motorcoach busses the cruiselines use do not have seatbelts. Therefore there is no need for the carseat. If you are flying to your cruise port destination I would highly recommend taking the car seats and using them on the plane. That is the safesty way to fly with a toddler. If you plan on using a taxi service while in ports I would definately take the seats. What you need to do is hire a taxi or car for the day. That way you are not dragging the seats with you to tourist sites. That's just too much work!! You might even look into car rentals. Many ports do have rental places near the terminal. That might be the best option.

I would take the stroller. Is it a "double wide" or a "single wide" double stroller? A double wide is going to have difficulties fitting through the halls on the ship. (It will fit but if you hit another person heading your direction it's going to be tight) A "single wide"( One where the seats are right behind each other) is going to be easier to fit down the hallways.

I hope you have a blast on your trip! Cruising to me is one of the easiest ways to travel with small children. :)

If you use the "search" function here and type in "twins" you'll find there are lots of us cruising with toddler multiples (there is even at least one set of triplets!). Most every time I;ve taken a trip with my toddler twins, my family and friends think I'm nuts, but I only find support and fabulous information here.

YES to the double stroller - but it must be tandem.

As far as car seats, you have to decide ahead of time what you want to do in each port, and if there is a way to do it without being in a car (i.e., walk, ferry, bus). I always go to the ports of call board here and find all the information I need. Usually, if what I want to do requires car transport, I'll hire a cab or private tour so we can leave the car seats in the car all day instead of dealing with taking them out of a cab and carrying them with us all day.

Best,

Mia

Our twins are almost the same age as yours :)

we have a 7yr old & 2 yr old twins (they will be 3 in sept). We have cruised 8+ times (carnival, princess, HAL). We have been to Alaska 4 times w/ kids. Bringing the carseats & stroller would be dependent on what activities we have planned. Carseats-- we have never flown without them-- we always bring them onboard-- they know they have to stay in their car seats & deal with it--

from airport to ship-- you have to have the carseat depending on what type of transportation you choose.

We rented a car in Juneau, Victoria and vancouver so had to have the carseats.

Stroller-- have never had the need for it for us personally any cruise on board the ship-- all of our children were walking though-- (they were all early walkers at 9-10 months-- if they were not walking I would have likely used it)

Side by side is not convenient for the ship-- but ours fit-- it is a Maclaren twin Techno-- and it fits anywhere a wheelchair can. I dont like travelling w/ our tandem (graco duo glider). We rarely take the stroller anywhere w/ us any longer-- but ours don't run away and listen fairly readily-- my girlfriends twins are not similarly behaved she goes nuts when we go on playdates-- they don't listen to her-- run in opposite directions -- she also has the backpack leashes for them but really doesnt help much-- they start running in opposite directions & then one twin is getting yanked on...... our last cruise the twins were 23m-- we took the maclaren-- definitely helped getting on & off the ship and walking around towns. also helped in the airport -- but keep in mind what type of room you will have when bringing the extra items-- I have heard that your steward can store items-- but I am not positive this is always available & I have never requested it-- although I did ask once that our table be taken away to free up room in the middle of the cabin.

I dont think we will be bringing Maclaren stroller on our next cruise-- not sure..... considered, maclaren, none or 2 umbrella strollers......

Just a note on the stroller - many cabins that we stayed in are very narrow when you walk in and then open up towards the back of the cabin. We could barely roll our Maclaren Triumph into the cabin past the bed - and sometimes you have sleeping kids by the time you get back from port. We used to wheel the sleeping child into the cabin and just leave him/her in the stroller to nap. Would you consider two single strollers in lieu of the double?

Just a note on the stroller - many cabins that we stayed in are very narrow when you walk in and then open up towards the back of the cabin. We could barely roll our Maclaren Triumph into the cabin past the bed - and sometimes you have sleeping kids by the time you get back from port. We used to wheel the sleeping child into the cabin and just leave him/her in the stroller to nap. Would you consider two single strollers in lieu of the double?

agree re: the doors- most cruise lines have the measurements of the doors & entry ways if you desire to ask about your particular cabin choice.

ours always transfer easily- so we move them out of the stroller to paknplay. even traveling w/ the singleton before the twins-- we had OV cabins that were difficult to accommodate stroller + carseat + all our baggage :). The maclaren happen to fit in the doorway on our past cruise (HAL Amsterdam)

The other reason we chose to bring maclaren twin vs tandem graco was because of space concerns in cabin-- the maclaren was our personal stroller out of the 5(got most used-- couldn't find my favorite ;)) we have that folds up the smallest and wanted to be able to place it in a closet or under the bed vs taking up want we considered to be valuable cabin floor space-but it worked for what we knew we would need it for-- and napping on board ship was not one of those needs(for us).

Why would anyone say anything about your kids???? 90% of cruisers have their kids with them!

Yes--bring what you need to make life easier for you and them! If you use a stroller at home, you should have it on vacation...same with carseats, unless you will only be riding in buses without seatbelts. If you're using cabs, you will need those seats!

While I quite agree with everything else, I must disagree that 90% of cruisers have children with them. A significant percentage on the mass market lines to be sure and highest during school breaks, holidays, and summer, but not 90%.

To answer one of the actual questions: Carseat needs will depend entirely on Alaska's specific laws and whether you'll be in vehicles that can accomodate carseats. I'm not sure of the rules and regulations for various airlines.

beachchick

Okay, I'll bring the stroller. Its a double wide one, but I don't intend on using it on the boat only for excursions. It's a combi one and I think it is prety compact when folded up. Mine also walked early (10 months) and can hike and race for along time and follow directions very well, but I do like to have a place for them to sleep when/if we are about town.

We are flying, but we've flown before without carseats. It'll be a short trip so I'm not too worried about comfort. I've heard alot of things about bus trips on the excursions and that cabbies will let you put kids in their lap. If we had to rent a car, I hope that the rental place has some to use...

We are flying, but we've flown before without carseats. It'll be a short trip so I'm not too worried about comfort. I've heard alot of things about bus trips on the excursions and that cabbies will let you put kids in their lap. If we had to rent a car, I hope that the rental place has some to use...

Double check with the rental car places before you make your decision. We brought two car seats for our rentals in Ketchikan and Juneau. Neither had car seats available.

Double check with the rental car places before you make your decision. We brought two car seats for our rentals in Ketchikan and Juneau. Neither had car seats available.

also-- check into specific regulations for children in taxis without carseats. We personally bring the carseats even if we are riding in taxis. Accidents can still happen but if you choose to not use-- I know we have been on vacation when it wasn't even an option to use or not use it was required by the taxi co-- not sure what Alaska taxi laws/req are

you will have a great time--- the kids loved Alaska. If you have a long port day in Juneau I highly recommend Whale watching & Mendenhall Glacier or take the city bus to several places-- salmon hatchery, park, Men Glacier, Salmon bake-- the highlight of the trip for the 2yr olds was the bus!!!! :) It is a walk though form bus stop to men glacier so the stroller definitely came in handy!-- we left it behind though when we went out to the waterfall. But any choice of excursions is likely to be fun-- there are so many great options to choose from :)

and that cabbies will let you put kids in their lap. ...

I would not just assume this is the case. Certainly in Mexico and most non-U.S. islands, but we've had parents post here who counted on taxis taking them without car seats and ended up stranded because the taxi drivers will NOT risk a large fine to take unsecured children. I know in New York they will and in Florida they won't, but don't know about Alaska.

Best,

Mia

I don't have much actual information, but since I have 3 week old twins I just want to say that I think it's awesome that you're taking them cruising! You and all the other parents of multiples on here make it known that my DH and I can figure this out one day too!

I don't have much actual information, but since I have 3 week old twins I just want to say that I think it's awesome that you're taking them cruising! You and all the other parents of multiples on here make it known that my DH and I can figure this out one day too!

COngratulations sandytoes!!! Hope all is going well! YOu are doing pretty well yourself being on cruisecritic with your hands full w/ the twins at 3 weeks old:D

Thanks for the replies! Congrats Sanytoes. TamSoCal, when you used the carseats in the Taxi did you rent the Taxi for the entire excursion? How far did you have travel with the carseats before bringing them to a car? I hate lugging all this stuff around.

Thanks for the replies! Congrats Sanytoes. TamSoCal, when you used the carseats in the Taxi did you rent the Taxi for the entire excursion? How far did you have travel with the carseats before bringing them to a car? I hate lugging all this stuff around.

Many answers..... just depends-- we have done it multiple ways-- when just the singleton & booster seat-- we typically just kept it in an oversized backpack and carried it around with us. For the twins for instance if you go to Butchart Gardens via taxi-- we left them w/ guest relations/customer service. I agree complete nuissance to lug all the extra items around-- can't wait for no more strollers, car seats, high chairs, etc :). We have on occasion rented a taxi for the day and left them in the taxi-- but probably have only done this 1-2 times. More recently we have rented a car in Victoria. Last visit to Juneau-- we took the city bus-- the boys loved it-- was probably the highlight of their day-- spent $1000's of dollars to go to Alaska and we could have just hopped on a city bus a few blocks from our home;).

We have never brought the car seats with us lugging them around museums, gardens, etc-- have always found something/somewhere to put them. The gardens & museums have been really nice about letting us leave at the front office/desk-- I think 80% of the time we have done this I had arranged in advance-- ie called ahead asking if they would be ok w/ it & made sure they weren't going to be looking at me as-- You want us to do what???? :). They have always been really nice & very helpful--

Which ports are you going to & what do you have planned thus far?

Which ports are you going to & what do you have planned thus far?

Reason for asking this is our last Alaska cruise we didnt use them on the "cruise" we did take the carseats w/ us for flights & transfers in Seattle since we arranged a Car Company to pick us up. We didn't use the carseats at any time once be started our cruise-- all of the port excursions were either bus or walking. Just depends on what your plans are and/or if you are comfortable riding in taxis without carseats-- when we stopped in Victoria on a different cruise we were not comfortable with the drive without car seats so never inquired what the seat belt law was for Canada in taxis

Just to give you yet another perspective: I can't help with the ship (we take our first cruise this fall!) but we've flown a lot with our sons (now 7 and 10) and we still take a booster seat for the 7 year old, and expect to for another year. [i think the 7-year old is average height, or maybe a little taller.]

We no longer use them on airplanes (I think we stopped at about 18 months, or whatever the youngest age okayed by the airline was, since they would kick the seat in front periodically if they were in their carseats) but we do use them for rental cars and taxis always. This is mostly due to car seat laws, which seem to get stricter by the year.

(We're facing the same problem this fall, though, wondering if we can leave the booster seat at home when we fly overseas. I'm checking individually with the private tour excursions that we're taking and so far they've said they'll provide a booster seat, so we might be able to leave it! I'm assuming that on ship excursions we'll be on a bus so we'll be OK without it, though come to think of it I should probably call RCI to verify.)

Archived