Is it ok to delay getting trip insurance?

I'm hoping to book our cruise within the next couple of weeks, but can't get Southwest airfare for at least 2 more months... is it ok if I wait on getting the trip insurance?

If the airfare ends up being bad flight times, too expensive, no nonstop options, etc (I'm a nervous flyer) then I can still cancel the cruise up to final payment date. But I don't want to spend money on trip insurance until I've got plane tickets and am fully committed.

What are the drawbacks?

Well, on the last cruise that we booked we delayed getting trip insurance and in the meantime my husband had heart problems and so he was considered having a pre-existing condtion.

If you get the cruise insurance through the cruiseline, you will get a refund of the cost if you cancel/don't have to pay it until final payment.

If you get it independently, you usually have to get it within 15 days of the original booking to avoid/waive the pre-existing condition clause. Then if/when you add more trip bookings (ex. airfare), you need to call the ins co within 72 hours (varies depending on provider) and add the additional expense coverage. Again, this will allow the pre-existing condition waiver to remain in effect.

Keep in mind that having the pre-existing condition waiver in place is HUGE as they can creatively make just about anything a pre-existing condition!

but, we can cancel the cruise portion before final payment (months from now) and get a full refund of our deposit. that can happen for any reason. right?

we don't have any conditions right now, but you're right, something could come up. so if it did come up then I could cancel the cruise portion and rebook... that would get around the timing issue, I think... ???

we always travel with the insurance, but I want to book the cruise now to try for a good cabin, however the uncertainty of the airfare is bothersome.

If you have travel insurance and cancel, you can use the travel insurance for another cruise provided you make the plans before the date of the original cruise. We have done this without a problem. Just check to make sure that you still can do this.

Check out insuremytrip...there are a couple policies on there that DO cover pre-existing conditions IF you purchase the insurance within 24 hours of Final payment.. my last cruise I booked over 18 months in advance & did not want to put down the money for insurance so far ahead.. I don't have any medical conditions..but like others have said they can develope at any time..

Archived