Does my Bank of America debit card work in Peru

Bobocasey

WE will be going to Peru soon and was wondering if my BOA debit card will work at the Scotiabanks in Peru. I have checked out the Global Alliance website and it looks like it might but NO ONE at BOA can give me a definite answer. I have also contacted Scotiabank in Cananda and they said to contact the Scotiabank in Peru. If it won't work does anyone have a suggestion of how I could get some cash when needed. I know that travelers checks are getting harder to cash.

WE will be going to Peru soon and was wondering if my BOA debit card will work at the Scotiabanks in Peru. I have checked out the Global Alliance website and it looks like it might but NO ONE at BOA can give me a definite answer. I have also contacted Scotiabank in Cananda and they said to contact the Scotiabank in Peru. If it won't work does anyone have a suggestion of how I could get some cash when needed. I know that travelers checks are getting harder to cash.

Yes

I have no idea why you are looking for a specific bank. Is there a reason? Debit/credit cards work off different networks-Star, Cirrus, Plus, etc. etc.,-not specific banks.

Match the symbol on your debit card to the networks displayed on an ATM and you should be fine. My BOA credit card (Visa) shows both Star and Plus networks. Citi uses Cirrus.

Check the back of your card at the bottom to find out what networks you card works with.

The ATM inside the lobby of the Inka Grill in Cusco allows withdrawals in either Soles or USD.

Make sure to call your bank and tell them where and when you are travelling or they may deny access to your funds (suspecting fraud). I've used my ATM card throughout Europe and South America and never had a problem (after informing my bank of my travel plans).

Notifying your bank in advance is a great idea. Lately they've been very stringent on security concerns if they suspect fraudulent activity, and they call your home to verify. Of course if you're not AT home to take the call, it's a bit of a sticky problem. I had it happen to me when I was travelling, so have learned my lesson!

As to using the BOM card, check out the post by JHunterMartin on Jan 10th on this South America board. He had some great info about Peru, and banking in particular. Do a thread 'search' for "Lima Peru" and his posts will pop up. Bottom line - you should be able to use your BOM card at Scotiabanks in Peru.

Bottom line - you should be able to use your BOM card at Scotiabanks in Peru.

I have no idea why anyone is looking for a particular bank. Chase, Citi and Japan International Bank all have offices in Peru as well as most of the rest of the world.

As posted previously, Chase is the Star network, Citi is Cirrus and Japan International uses the Visa network.

If you Debit card is a "branded" card (Visa or Mastercard), these will work in most any ATM.

Please get cash BEFORE you get to MP. There is only one ATM (at least there was) and it is not easily accessible (in the Inkaterra hotel).

I was just responding to OP's original question with regard to Scotiabank. But you are correct that the debit cards should work at any bank with the appropriate designations, pretty well world-wide. As long as said location even has an ATM.

I can't speak for all banks. But in the case of B of A, you can avoid paying double fees if you withdraw funds from a bank that is a "partner" bank. You'll pay one service charge instead of seperate service changes from each banking system.

WE will be going to Peru soon and was wondering if my BOA debit card will work at the Scotiabanks in Peru.cash.

Good morning!

you had asked me to let you know about Equador when we get back from our trip. Does this mean that you are also doing the MP/Gal tour?

Another CC'er I know just got back from the Gal and posted this video on YouTube. She went with Celebrity and did the 10nt cruise.

We'll only get 4 nts on a small boat..but I'm still thrilled.:D

Here's the link just in case you might want to see it.

Yes we are doing MP and the the Galapagos. We have a private tour of MP and are doing the Gal with celebrity. Can't wait!!!!!

We were orginally booked with Celebrity for Aug 2011. And like you, we wanted to do MP as well.

We had a friend who booked with OAT and highly recommended them. OAT just happened to have an opening for this August . They only take groups of 16 max.

And since patience is not one of my strong points ;), we jumped on the chance to go this year. I may still have to do the trip with Celebrity. I can already tell that its going to be an amazing experience!

Have you spoken to your doctor about Diamox? My doctor spoke with a doctor who does Wilderness Med and he recommened using it. I still might try the coca tea :p

My doctor gave me a prescription for Diamox. There is a generic that is as good but cost a whole lot less, he ok'd it for me. Ihaven't gotten it filled yet but checked with insurance company and it is covered under my plan. Will only cost me $5. I figure it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Also he gave me a prescription for some antibotic if I get traveler diarrhea caused by a bacteria. I am a travelling pharmacy. I try to think of anything I might need if I get sick. Luckily I haven't had much use for any of it but you never know.

My doctor gave me a prescription for Diamox. There is a generic that is as good but cost a whole lot less, he ok'd it for me. Ihaven't gotten it filled yet but checked with insurance company and it is covered under my plan. Will only cost me $5. I figure it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Also he gave me a prescription for some antibotic if I get traveler diarrhea caused by a bacteria. I am a travelling pharmacy. I try to think of anything I might need if I get sick. Luckily I haven't had much use for any of it but you never know.

My hubby laughs at me...I pack for every possible scenario. I have a whole list just for "what if's" :p He reminded me that we are going on a tour...not a trek.

Glad you were able to get the generic med. I couldn't find a price for diamox. Is it expensive? We are retired military so my meds are free.

How many days will you be in Peru? Are you by chance going to book a flight over the Nazca Lines? I'd love to go see them but our tour company no longer offers it as an optional excursion so we'll need to find a company on our own. We'll only have one free day in Lima so I'm not sure if I'll be able to arrange it.

WE are spending 4 days in Lima, 2 days in Cusco, and 2 in MP. WE hadn't planned to does the Nazca lines. We were in Lima for one day in Dec. We really didn't get to see much except the fort in Callao. WE were told not to go roaming around the pier area in Callao because of the safety issues.

I don't know how expensive Diamox is but somewher I read you can buy it over the counter in Cusco for about $15 a bottle. But is your insurance will pay for it let them do it.

I am glad to know I am not the only one that travels with the what if stuff. I would make a great boy scout my motto is always be prepared.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

You're right! traveler's checks are really hard to en-cash and having a debit card with you would be a hassle free travel but the Bank of America will now be charging customers $5 per month to use their debit card, and America isn't really happy. In fact, Obama criticizes Bank of America $5 monthly debit card fees. ABC News reports that during a public interview with George Stephanopoulos, President Obama cut into Bank of America for what he sees as consumer price gouging. Bank of America and the rest of the U.S. banking market didn't miss a beat in lashing back at Obama.

Thought of calling B of A to confirm what network they are in and if they have an office that could advise you about using the card in Peru? I use my Citibank debit/ATM card in Brazil regularly. I do, as noted above, look for the symbols (in some banks there may be some labeled international, or with symbols of various credit cards, etc.). I've used it in, besides Citibank, various Brazilian-based banks (though not all-- for example, no luck in Santander), and also in non-bank ATM machines in shopping malls, etc. (most have an option for English). B of A can also advise you whether you need to tell them when you plan to use the card outside the country.

I can't speak for all banks. But in the case of B of A, you can avoid paying double fees if you withdraw funds from a bank that is a "partner" bank. You'll pay one service charge instead of seperate service changes from each banking system.

BOA is very deceptive regarding partner banks. I have no experience with Peru but in Argentina I used Paribas ATM's because it is a BOA partner.

Turns out, the partnership only exists in each bank's home country....so using a Paribas ATM in Paris would be free of international transaction fees, but using a Paribas ATM in Buenos Aires does not count.

I would assume that the same arrangement applies in Peru....plan to pay the international transaction fees. Best case scenario, you might be pleasantly surprised that no fees apply. Don't hold your breath though. BOA is trying to squeeze every nickel it can from consumers.

There is a section on BOA's website that lists what banks are partners in what countries. When I went to Peru in August, there were no partners listed for Peru.

But I suspect this thread (from 2010) was resurrected solely to rail against BOA, not to actually ask a new question or get help on the old question.

BOA is very deceptive regarding partner banks. I have no experience with Peru but in Argentina I used Paribas ATM's because it is a BOA partner.

Turns out, the partnership only exists in each bank's home country....so using a Paribas ATM in Paris would be free of international transaction fees, but using a Paribas ATM in Buenos Aires does not count.

I would assume that the same arrangement applies in Peru....plan to pay the international transaction fees. Best case scenario, you might be pleasantly surprised that no fees apply. Don't hold your breath though. BOA is trying to squeeze every nickel it can from consumers.

This is confusing. I have a Citibank debit card from the U.S. When I use it in an ATM overseas, the local bank or other service may charge a fee (seldom see that, even if I go to a bank other than Citibank). I've never paid an "international transaction charge" when withdrawing money (using the card for purchases could be different). Fees are always spelled out before I go ahead with the transaction, so I have a chance to back out. That doesn't mean Citibank is charging the fee. OP can find out very quickly if B of A will charge a fee. If only the local bank/institution charges a fee, that's not necessarily anything to do with B of A. Whether one bank or another gives the best exchange rate is another question. Credit cards, of course, are another topic. I have to pay a foreign currency transaction charge of about 2.7% for any transaction in another currency (this applies to both my Chase Visa card and Am Ex card). I don't use my credit cards to withdraw cash from ATMs, but I assume the same fee woud apply there. I don't know any bank that isn't trying to maximize its profits, but OP should at least be able to find out from B of A what fees THEY would charge. If they can't, then it sounds like time for a new bank.

This is confusing. I have a Citibank debit card from the U.S. When I use it in an ATM overseas, the local bank or other service may charge a fee (seldom see that, even if I go to a bank other than Citibank). I've never paid an "international transaction charge" when withdrawing money (using the card for purchases could be different). Fees are always spelled out before I go ahead with the transaction, so I have a chance to back out. That doesn't mean Citibank is charging the fee. OP can find out very quickly if B of A will charge a fee. If only the local bank/institution charges a fee, that's not necessarily anything to do with B of A. Whether one bank or another gives the best exchange rate is another question. Credit cards, of course, are another topic. I have to pay a foreign currency transaction charge of about 2.7% for any transaction in another currency (this applies to both my Chase Visa card and Am Ex card). I don't use my credit cards to withdraw cash from ATMs, but I assume the same fee woud apply there. I don't know any bank that isn't trying to maximize its profits, but OP should at least be able to find out from B of A what fees THEY would charge. If they can't, then it sounds like time for a new bank.

This is a quote from the BOA web site:

"What is a Non-Bank of America or Foreign ATM fee?

A Non-Bank of America ATM fee (sometimes referred to as a Foreign ATM fee) occurs whenever you access an ATM outside Bank of America's network for withdrawals, transfers, or balance inquiries. In some instances, you may be charged a fee by the ATM operator or network as well."

BOA customers using a non-BOA ATM are charged

1. An ATM fee by BOA (Anyone planning to use a BOA debit card should verify the current fee for the country in which they plan to travel. In Argentina there are no BOA network banks or ATM's, so this fee applies to any withdrawal)

2. An ATM fee by the owner of the ATM (Virtually all banks in Argentina charge to use their ATM)

3. Foreign currency exchange fees of approximately 2.7%

FWIW, Citi has a similar arrangement. Argentina is not the same corporate structure as Citi USA....foreign bank fees are paid even when using a Citi Card....although last time I used mine I was able to get my fees refunded when I returned home due to the type account I have with Citi.

I now have a debit card with Schwab, which has no foreign ATM fees.

Archived