Need info on Ryndam for Alaska Cruise July 4, 2010

ms simba

I need some quick info on the Ryndam for an Alaskan cruise leaving from Seward on July 4, 2010.

First, some background info on me. I am 67 years old and use a walker or an electric scooter (on Carnival ships) to get around. I am going in on June 23 to be checked for cancer. If I get an A-Okay sign then I want to celebrate by taking an Alaskan cruise (probably by myself because of the transportation costs). I live in Minneapolis, MN and would be flying to somewhere that connects to the start of the Ryndam cruise from Seward.

I would be willing to the research to read through all of the posts but most of the days between now and June 23 are filled with doctor's appointments and other things. So I don't have a lot of time left over. So here are some questions. If there is something I haven't asked and should know then please post that also. I really appreciate any responses I get.

(1) - What are my transportations options to get to Seward? I will be flying from Minneapolis to somewhere in Alaska or Seattle or Vancouver or ??. Don't know how to get to Seward since the commercial airlines don't fly there.

(2) - Anyone been in a handicapped cabin? Don't know if any are even available at this late date but was wondering about them.

(3) - Will I need a scooter to get around? I know this is a personal type of answer but I am limited in how far I can walk due to degenerative arthritis in my ankle and knee. On Carnival, I can get away with just a walker if I get a cabin near the elevator just below the dining and show areas. However, if I go ashore, I definitely need a scooter (unless there isn't much walking on the shore excursions).

(4) - What is an obstructed view cabin? The only cabins left at this time in the HH category show an obstructed view for an ocean view room. If the obstruction is severe (I am 5'4") then I might as well take an inside cabin which is cheaper but only a $50 difference which isn't much. However, I think the difference in size is 182 sq ft vs 197 sq ft.

(5) - Are there fold-out couches in the Oceanview rooms?

(6) -This cruise might be just a wishful thing since when I back to the Cruise.com sight most of the dates didn't have any rooms left. Are there any other websites that might have a cabin available for late June or early July (prices go up sharply after that).

I need some quick info on the Ryndam for an Alaskan cruise leaving from Seward on July 4, 2010.

First, some background info on me. I am 67 years old and use a walker or an electric scooter (on Carnival ships) to get around. I am going in on June 23 to be checked for cancer. If I get an A-Okay sign then I want to celebrate by taking an Alaskan cruise (probably by myself because of the transportation costs). I live in Minneapolis, MN and would be flying to somewhere that connects to the start of the Ryndam cruise from Seward.

I would be willing to the research to read through all of the posts but most of the days between now and June 23 are filled with doctor's appointments and other things. So I don't have a lot of time left over. So here are some questions. If there is something I haven't asked and should know then please post that also. I really appreciate any responses I get.

(1) - What are my transportations options to get to Seward? I will be flying from Minneapolis to somewhere in Alaska or Seattle or Vancouver or ??. Don't know how to get to Seward since the commercial airlines don't fly there.

(2) - Anyone been in a handicapped cabin? Don't know if any are even available at this late date but was wondering about them.

(3) - Will I need a scooter to get around? I know this is a personal type of answer but I am limited in how far I can walk due to degenerative arthritis in my ankle and knee. On Carnival, I can get away with just a walker if I get a cabin near the elevator just below the dining and show areas. However, if I go ashore, I definitely need a scooter (unless there isn't much walking on the shore excursions).

(4) - What is an obstructed view cabin? The only cabins left at this time in the HH category show an obstructed view for an ocean view room. If the obstruction is severe (I am 5'4") then I might as well take an inside cabin which is cheaper but only a $50 difference which isn't much. However, I think the difference in size is 182 sq ft vs 197 sq ft.

(5) - Are there fold-out couches in the Oceanview rooms?

(6) -This cruise might be just a wishful thing since when I back to the Cruise.com sight most of the dates didn't have any rooms left. Are there any other websites that might have a cabin available for late June or early July (prices go up sharply after that).

Can't answer most of your questions, but will give you the info I have.

An HH cabin on the Ryndam is on the Lower Promenade deck, and the "obstruction" is ship structure. You get daylight, which IMHO is worth the usually slight price difference. Most of the HH cabins, you can look left or right from your cabin window and see ocean and sky.

On the Ryndam, 4 trips around the Lower Promenade deck equals 1 mile.... so you do 1/4 mile for a full trip around the ship. Nothing is very far away from anything -- it is a smallish ship.

HAL will waitlist you for a specific cruise... so you could try that route, OR you could go later in the season when prices get a bit lower.

Chances aren't great that you'll be able to get a H/C cabin at this late date for a summer sailing. But always worth asking.

Good luck with your plans! I hope you are able to get the cruise, when you want, in the cabin you want, and are able to go :)

I just checked HAL's website for the July 4th sailing on the Ryndam out of Seward -- there are lots of cabins available including handicapped cabins.

Your best bet is to fly into Anchorage and stay at a hotel overnight. Then you can book either HAL's train or bus from Anchorage down to Seward. Both can handle handicapped passengers.

Thanks! I will also check on flying into Anchorage. The train sounds like fun. So now I will research lodging in Anchorage.

unless i am misreading something here, the Ryndam on July 4th is out of vancouver and ends in seward. you will need to fly into vancouver.

unless i am misreading something here, the Ryndam on July 4th is out of vancouver and ends in seward. you will need to fly into vancouver.

Exactly... The Ryndam will leave from Seward on 7/11/10

Yes, Ryndam July 4th is out of Vancouver. We'll be getting off Ryndam that morning in Vancouver!

Archived