Fall foliage -- where do we need to go to see the leaves change

We are arriving in Montreal on September 25 and cruising on the Crystal Symphony until October 11. My husband just turned to me and asked, "Now that you have completely planned our entire cruise, are we going to see the leaves change?" I told him I think so, but having never done it, I'm not certain. Help! We will be primarily in the cities with the exception of Saint John, where we plan to visit St. Martins and the Fundy Trail Parkway. The ports that we will visit are: Montreal (where we will visit Mont Royal Park), Quebec City, Halifax, Saint John, Bar Harbor, Boston, Newport and NYC.

WILL WE SEE FALL FOLIAGE?

IS IT NECESSARY TO GO OUTSIDE THE CITIES TO SEE THE FALL FOLIAGE (SUCH AS TO THE LAURENTIANS OUTSIDE OF MONTREAL?)

WHERE SHOULD WE GO WHILE IN THESE PORTS TO INSURE THAT WE SEE THE LEAVES CHANGING?

I understand that there are no guarantees and that it all depends on the climate next Fall. However, if the leaves are changing, WILL I SEE IT HAPPENING IN THE CITIES, OR DO I NEED TO GO ELSEWHERE? IF YES, WHERE?????

Pleeeeease help! I need to know before we arrive because I've told my husband for years that I want to see the "changing of the leaves." In California, nothing changes like that! I want to be sure I've planned this right!

Thanks for the help.

Shelley:eek:

WILL WE

While, as you say, nothing is a certainty, I think you've picked the best period for viewing the fall foliage; I would hope somewhere along your route you will see leaves at various stages of turning. As for viewing, certainly if the leaves have turned in Quebec City by then, you will have a fantastic view from your ship as you leave the city.

Last year we went the 2nd week of October,, Boston to Quebec. We were too early for peak foliage in Boston, but too late in Quebec. If you stay near the port, you will see some color, but you need to go inland to see the best.

We are going on the Crown Princess Sept. 27 so I am with your husband! I want to see the leaves changing. I think one good place is going to be around the Bay of Fundy. Many on our roll call are going with Freedom tours out of St. John,s. Heather there has arranged minivans that can go out to the (national) forest and takes in some covered bridges and some sea scapes and some country roads. About 35 years ago we lived in Canada and went to Quebec for leaf peeping. We climbed up a forest tower (fire watch tower) and it was the most wonderful sight -- looked like fruit loops (the kid's colorful cereal ) for as far as you could see. Hope we have picked the "best" week!

Check out Princess Rollcalls Crown Princess Sept. 27, 2010 for our cruise and also join your sailing's rollcall and meet your cruising mates.

We did a similar 10 day cruise from Montreal to NYC a few years ago (Oc1 to 11th). The majority of passengers were from California or surrounding states. There were 0 children on board. It is a very good time to see the leaves. The trees don't all change at once so you should see quite a range. Once past Quebec City, the St Lawrence River starts getting quite wide and most of the trees are evergreen so the views along this part will not be very special. In cities like Boston and NYC you will not see much unless you go to the large parks. Halifax, Bar Harbour and Newport all offer lots of great viewing. Mt Royal in Montreal gives nice views over the city and there are lots of trees there.

Archived