Packing wine without breakage???

5326jan

Princess Cruises allow you to bring your own wine on board. We plan to pack a couple of bottles in our checked baggage. Any good tips to assure that it will get there in one piece and we won't spend the rest of the cruise smelling like winos?

Box wine.

I actually really like Black Box wine! I wasn't sure if there would be any problems with expansion/contraction in the luggage compartment causing the bag/spigot to fail.

Someone suggested, on another thread, putting a toddler diaper or depends with maximum absorbtion in a ziplock with the wine! LOL, what would TSA think??? Depends and Wine... sounds like a fun time! :rolleyes:

I have sealed my wine in a vacuum seal food saver bag and then wrapped it in bubble wrap. Put it in the middle of a sturdy piece of luggage and never had a problem with it breaking on the flights or the transfer to the ship. I know it sounds a little extreme with the food saver bag, but if it breaks, nothing will leak out.

Tim

My suggestion is to wrap your long pants and shirts around them, roll them into it, and then bring from home some bubble wrap, that goes a long way too. My wines always get to me, and nothing is ever broken.

IF the wines are very important then try to find it on line and let them send you a case of it.

Only my own opinion, if its from a special grower then buy one bottle really roll the clothes in it make sure the under the bottom of the suitcase is safe with heavy clothes and then you can have the bottle arrive to you when you get back

I do this all the time nothing gets broken

I am way to scared about breakage. When I cruise I bring the little four packs of plastic bottles by Sutter Home. I know to the people that like fine wine this may not do but it is worth it for me to avoid breakage. :D

you can buy containers made to pack wine bottles in you luggage. If you are traveling out of Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale there is a Total Wine store close to the port. Bill

We have Total Wine here in Virginia!! My favorite wine store ever! I'll check with them.

Thanks! janet

On our Hawaiian cruise in February, my husband and I walked onboard with a 6-bottle cardboard carrier each that we bought from The Container Store. It is heavy cardboard and has a handle. You can also buy a 1-bottle or 3-bottle carrier. They were pretty cheap (I think around $5 each). They are collapsible and when broken down, can be put in your suitcase for another cruise.

We just walked on the ship with our own case of wine!:D

Good luck

We have way better wine in our own "cellar" (ok, it's under the house where we can almost stand up...sort of...), so we have brought our own before. However, now that we can't carry it aboard the airplane, we have to check it....and of course we bring way less in view of the baggage charge increases over the last few years.

We wrap our bottles in plastic bags, although I think we'll go with that idea of the sealing freezer bags. Then we pull our pairs of boot socks (we hike) over each one to keep them from clanking together, put that in a plastic bag, and then sandwich it all in the center of our suitcase. Even with soft luggage, we've had it all get there ok. (And we have no problem paying corkage.)

We only bring a few bottles now for special dinners, and otherwise just buy the ship's wine if there is a discount package. More just isn't worth the worry and hassle.

Archived