Transfers - Milan to Genoa?

Rassa

As we will be travelling from Genoa to Milan after our first cruise, we decided to take the train ourselves and it is only cost 16.50 euro per person for an hour 40 minutes. Train runs every half an hour. I believe it is alot cheaper than to the take MSC shuttle if they offer.

I buy my cruises from a US agent so I did not look on the Aust web site and the shuttle is not that expensive.

However, how far away is the train from Milpensa - this seems like a reasonable alternative as well.

Thanks

Rassa

There is a shuttle bus from MXP to the Central station in Milan and I believe it runs every 20 minutes

http://www.malpensashuttle.it/e-orari.htm

Word of caution here guys. The genoa train arrives at Stazione centrale but the airport train leaves from Cadrona and takes about an hour. You either need to get the underground from cadrona to Centrale (which I don't recommend with luggage because of all the stairs). Alternative would be a taxi ride may be about 15 minutes or longer depending on traffic.

There are airport buses that leave from the rear of the Central Station (you need to buy your tickets from a newspaper kiosk beside the back door). It also takes an hour but you don't have the hassle with the transfer. be careful which bus you get on as there are also ones to bergamot too.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to go from Genoa to Milan and back to Genoa within the same day by train. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this recently to see what your thought are & if it is doable. I would like to do a few hours of sightseeing in Milan. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Are all the sightseeing places easily assessible from Milan's train station where I arrive from Genoa ?Thanks.

Well really depends on how long you have in port as to whether it is doable or not and which particular sights you want to visit as to whether it is worth it

The train takes 2 to 2.5 hours depending on which one you get (check trenitalia's website for timetables). Ypu will arrive at Milano Centrale which is 10-15 minute taxi ride to Duomo (Cathedral) although you could use the underground system, The Opera House (La Scala) is walking distane from Duomo and there are all the nice shops and the beautiful Galleries around Duomo too. Castle is not that spectacular but is a bit further away but can be reached by the metor system. The church where Da Vinci's last supper is, isn't really near much else. You also need to book in advance (online) to get a time slot for your visit - you can't just turn up and pay your money and get in.

There is a HOHO bus which stops at Centrale. There are 2 loops but I would not bother doing both as half the route is the same on both.

Allowing for time to get to/ftom port to Genoa station and assuming you don't have more than 15 minutes to wait to get on a train both ways, I think you need to write off abut almost 6 hours just getting there and back. Unless you have a very long port time, I think you are going to spend far more time on the train than you are doing anything in Milan. You really don't want to be relyong on the last train either that will get you back just before all aboard time, in case something goes wrong.

So if you have more than 9 hours port time may be doable as long as you are happy to spend most time travelling and take the risk that you are quite a bit away from the port if something goes wrong. I disembarked in genoa and was on a train at 10 (caught it by the skin of my teeth) and was sitting in the Cathedral square having lunch by around 1 after a taxi ride to my hotle and a quick check in and drop the luggage off. Personally, I would not contemplate doing to

ilan and back to Genoa in the same day, but then I'm pretty risk averse.

Archived