Is staying over in Seward worth the price?

shoegal24

I know it's early, but I'm so excited. I've been doing researching on hotels in Seward, and there is a nice one near the water for over $200 a night.

We were planning on flying in Anchorage on the Wednesday. Staying in a hotel Wednesday night. Take the train at 5:45 am to Seward Thursday morning and explore Seward all of Thursday. We should stay over in Seward and board our ship for our honeymoon cruise :D on Friday.

My question though - is Seward worth the extra $200 + spending and food money for the day? Should we just fly into Anchorage on the Thursday and take the train to Seward and then board right away?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

OH! I should add. We have decided that we can only afford to stay overnight in Vancouver at the end of our cruise, or do the night in Seward... what would you do???

I know it's early, but I'm so excited. I've been doing researching on hotels in Seward, and there is a nice one near the water for over $200 a night.

We were planning on flying in Anchorage on the Wednesday. Staying in a hotel Wednesday night. Take the train at 5:45 am to Seward Thursday morning and explore Seward all of Thursday. We should stay over in Seward and board our ship for our honeymoon cruise :D on Friday.

My question though - is Seward worth the extra $200 + spending and food money for the day? Should we just fly into Anchorage on the Thursday and take the train to Seward and then board right away?

OH! I should add. We have decided that we can only afford to stay overnight in Vancouver at the end of our cruise, or do the night in Seward... what would you do???

LOL 409 days..you are as bad as I am when I research!

I will tell you what. I am staying in Seward at the end of my cruise...I'll let you know when I get back, how it goes:cool:

LOL 409 days..you are as bad as I am when I research!

I will tell you what. I am staying in Seward at the end of my cruise...I'll let you know when I get back, how it goes:cool:

Thank you! Have a wonderful time on your cruise tomorrow!

A few years ago, we flew into Anchorage and took train to Denali for two days, then back to Anchorage. Next morning took train to Seward and spent the day/night and boarded ship the following day around noon.

For us, we enjoyed the 1/2 day trip in Seward to see the 'calving' glacers and other wildlife after arriving in Seward around 11:00 am. Seward is a very small town. There is a sealife center at one end of town and at the other end a small cafe with some of the best Halibut I have ever enjoyed. I enjoyed the Halibut so much that once on board the ship instead of eating lunch on ship, I got off to go eat Halibut at the cafe just across from the docks one more time.

We sailed south to Vancouver and did not spend time there, so I cannot comment on what to do there. We took a bus to Seattle right after getting off ship and spent the day in Seattle where we then took a 'red eye' back to the east coast.

Sooooooooooooooo, my comment would be if on your other ports of calls on your cruise you are not going to see glaciers calving/up close in a small boat, I would recommend taking train to Seward, taking the 1/2 day (afternoon) boat trip. Not sure there would be something as unique in Vancouver that would compare. There was a lot of wild life/sea life seen on the 1/2 day trip also.

We are heading back to Alaska this August for a land tour only and will stay in the Kenai Peninsula area where Seward/Homer/Kenai/Soldotna are. We plan to fish/kayak/float plane to see the wildlife and glaciers.

Whatever you decide, have a GREAT trip/cruise!!!

We stayed in Seward on our way to Anchorage, it was well worth it! We stayed out on the point at the Salt Water Lodge! The people that own it were great they Helped us out! They Gave us a ride to Exit Glacer to Hike and kept our luggage and met us at the train Station with the luggage! It is a one of a kind Place only a few rooms and it is near where fishing boats come in! It was great! Hope you have a great Honeymoon!

I too think its worth it to stay in Steward. Its a quaint old town and the Exit Glacier (if you like to walk/hike) is well worth the stay. We enjoyed Anchorage, but its really just another large city. So my vote is for Steward! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Archived