Question about Cave Tubing

Tristan

I will be in Belize on the Carnival Valor in July.

I wanted to ask those who've been there, how bad is the insect situation?

Is the hike to the cave tubing site long and/or strenuous?

(Should I start hitting the treadmill now? LOL)

Also, which is the best cave tubing company?

Thanks SO much.

We were cave-tubing in the month of Oct. Gave ourselves a quick spray of repellent, and don't remember any bug issues at all. Don't know if it's more buggy in different months. Oh.........wait........one little issue with ants. While on the trail, our guide nonchalantly said don't stand in one spot for too long, because there are these tiny little ants that have a fiery little bite. Two of our relatives didn't listen, and got bit by an ant, and yes, they said it stung.....but only for a moment.

The trail isn't hard, and you are shaded by the jungle a lot of the time, so that helps.

We used X-Stream Cave Tubing Co. and were very happy with our day. We free-floated.

It's a great excursion!

I wanted to ask those who've been there, how bad is the insect situation? Make sure and take your repellent with you in a fanny pack - You initially cross the river (which they call refreshing LOL) and depending on how long you play there, it washes off all your repellent. You WILL WANT to reapply. You are walking through the jungle, and as long as you keep moving you will be ok except for pesky mosquitos - and they dont care if you are moving or not. You will stop periodically to catch your breath, or for them to show you different things along the way.

Is the hike to the cave tubing site long and/or strenuous? Its about 30 minutes, and although it is mostly shaded, there are a few steps, the path can be a little rocky (I wore water shoes, and was uncomfortable on a couple occasions, but for the most part, thankful I was not wearing flip flops) and possibly slippery from the dew point/humidity. Its strenuous if they walk fast...so if they go to fast (they will tell you they are trying to keep moving because of the bugs) just ask them to slow a bit.

Also, which is the best cave tubing company? We used Maj Tom - they were phenomenal! Be aware that you need to get on the first tender(s) out please dont make the other peeps on the bus wait for you. That was annoying - stopping the bus twice and holding the bus 30 minutes past the departure time...

Thanks SO much.

Have fun - Be aware, however, if it has rained prior to your excursion, that the runoff waters may be high and make the trip unsafe and subject to cancellation. If they cancel your tubing for high water, dont be mad - its entirely a safety deal.:D

The hike isn't too bad but I expect it could be brutal in the summer heat; bring water if they let you.

It was relatively easy from all the other tourists who have walked it. If you have ever walked an old railroad bed where the tracks have been removed it's kind of like that. There are some tricky parts in the begining where there are stairs & turns but they have hand rails. I also made DH carry my tube at thet point so I didn't fall.

Walking across the river in the very begining can be tough if the current is strong.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to start getting ready for the hike now. This way you can enjoy it more when you get there instead of being exhausted and out of shape.

I think some good old bug repellent should help with the bugs.

You're going to have a great time!

I wanted to ask those who've been there, how bad is the insect situation?

Is the hike to the cave tubing site long and/or strenuous?

Also, which is the best cave tubing company?

Thanks SO much.

Jaguar Paw Jaguar Paw Jaguar Paw!!!!!

They have the nice new tubes with handles.

Meal is included. (YUMMY)

Nice Vest and Lights. The other groups we saw stuff looked old and dirty.

The insects are bad but not for us because we used Off w/deet.

The hike is not bad at all. The guide will stop to show you interesting things in the jungle. Stay up front so you can hear everything.

Oh another good thing about them is small groups 8 or 9 people in ours.

Hello,

Just returned from the valor on sunday. I went cave-tubing on last Thursday. The hike was not too bad at all as I am out of shape. Our guide kept stopping to talk to us about the nature. It actually rained on Thursday before our tour we thought it was going to be cancelled. the ran let up and after an hour delay we were able to go.

Cave-Tubing.com has the newer tubes with the handles as well. They also store there items at the site so you don't have to carry them as far as the other compainies. Lunch was included and you had an option of going ATV thru the rainforest.

We used x-stream - great guide and amazing lunch provided. We got to go through 2 caves and free float through one of them. The walk wasn't horrible but it is rocky if you're going to be walking in water shoes. We used insect repellent and came back bug bite free (which never happens to me)!

Archived