Connecting rooms on qm2

SALAD MUNCHER

Hi sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find any info so thought I would tap into the vast knowledge of my fellow CCs. We are booked on the QM2 for a Carribean trip in November this year. We were assigned a cabin by our TA on deck 10 - PG2 (10023). I've just noticed that this is a 'connecting' cabin and wondered if this had any disadvantages. I did ask my TA if they could change this but was told they only had 4 other available cabins (I checked them out and they are not in as good a position as the one we have been assigned) and it would cost us £32 each for any change. Does anyone have personal experience of this type of cabin? I would be grateful for any views.

From what I've read on these boards it would seem that there is a noise issue with connecting cabins. There were enough posts on the subject to make me change my cabin to a non-interconnecting one.

For the small amount of money you're talking about I would make the change provided you were still happy with the location of the new cabin.

On a recent crossing we were given an upgrade to a Q5 with the "communicating door" as it was traditionally called. Having read about some passengers' experiences with noise and/or smoke, we had a few misgivings, but we had no problems. Our neighbours were quiet, as are we. In fact in seven days I heard voices and laughter only once when the neighbours had a few people in. One day we had a mid-day reception in our stateroom for seven people and there was much conversation and laughter for that short time and I'm sure they would have heard us if they were in their stateroom.

There is a noise issue with connecting cabins on the QM2, much to our surprise. We stuffed the connecting door with folded cocktail napkins to cut down on the noise.

For you it will be the luck of the draw: if your neighbors are quiet, you will be just fine; if they tend to speak with a raised voice, you will share in their conversations.

We would never book a connecting door!

There is no problem if next door are quiet, non smoking people. You can get smoke filtering under the doors and because two doors with an air space is not a good sound isulator you will hear more in an interconnected cabin.

David

Hi,we were assigned a cabin with a connecting door & on the port side & we wanted to be on the starboard side, I changed it with Cunard directly at no extra cost.

We had booked through a travel agent.,but I did not bother asking them first,there was no problem.

Regards Lil

We had this room last year. We had no problems with noise at all. The ship was full and the only way we knew that people were next to us was when they left dirty plates outside their door.

Instead of a 3 seater settee we had a 2 seater to allow for the door opening and an armcchair. I would not hesitiate to book this room again, if we were going PG.

There is only one thing with this room and that is the very long walk to the restaurant - almost the full length of the ship!

We had a cabin with a connecting door last year on the QM2 and only heard our neighbors on one occasion. We really didn't experience a noise problem at all. I suppose it all depends on how rowdy your neighbours are. On other ships we have been very aware of our neighbours even when we had no connecting door.

Archived