The Road To Hana

margord

I would second that recommendation. Most of the warnings I've read about rain on that section suggest stopping at the ranger station at the seven pools and checking on the road conditions.

The problem is there was little engineering done on the road, that is drainage, bridges etc, hence it could be a nightmare if it rained and I would imagine even if it rained further inland. I would guess the reason for rental companies not wanting their cars driven there is they would constantly need front end alignments. It would also increase the traffic on a road not designed for it..

As others have noted, it's a beautiful drive. Here's another web site with more info http://www.hawaiihighways.com/maui.htm

In the spring of '01 we drove the circle and I would never do it again. Much of the road was (is?) macadam with repairs to the surface being a shovel of "new" macadam. As a result it was like driving over a washboard. A plain dirt road would have been smoother. There are no stops(that I could find) with rest facilities and my wife was holding her breath the last few miles. If your kidneys are ok you may be fine or be sure to do a bathroom break in Hana before starting the trip. I think the northern route is so much nicer, being a rain forest. The south is nothing but range with cattle having access to the road. I remember looking in my rear view mirror and seeing a cow crossing the road behind me. Much of the view is open range looking down to the ocean. My wife thought we were on the wrong road and that we should have been on the "good" road closer to the water. I had my GPS and showed her that there was nothing there. I understand why the rental agencies do not want you to drive there. An inexpensive GPS might be handy just to see your location to civilization in case you decide to do it.

John L.

We will be going to Hawaii in March and have rented a car with the idea of driving the road to Hana--now I am a bit concerned about the drive although we want to see the scenery and experience as much as possible. Is the road as narrow as suggested, and curvy? We are in our late 60's and in good health, but maybe don't need the 'stress' of driving ourselves? If you take the NCL tour, do they stop anywhere or just drive to Hana and back. I am opting for the drive, but my husband will be at the wheel and I will be the passenger!!!

To Cruzluver:I'm 69 and drove the road to Hana on each of our 2 trips in 01. The lst time I did the circle and the 2nd I drove to Hana and came back the same way. I would not do the circle again. We are booked for Jan 06 and I plan to drive it again. There were times when my wife would say "look at that" and I would tell her it was for her eyes only. The road is narrow in sections but to me it was a very enjoyable and scenic trip. If you do drive it and have time, be sure to stop at the state park which is about a mile before Hana. It has a beautiful black sand beach and a blow hole on a lava surface that is amazing to experience.

John L.

Archived