Trouble buying liquor @ Grand Cayman?

pointybubble

On our Carnival Cruise two weeks ago we stopped in Grand Cayman where we ran into problems buying some liquor. We got on an excursion right away when we got to the port, and we got back around 45 minutes before the last tender. My fiance (we got engaged on the ship!) and I split up to do the shopping- he went to go buy some Big Black Dick Rum while I went to the other liquor store (Tortuga?) right at the port.

We were really shocked when the Tortuga store told us we could only shop on one side of the store, where the prices were two to three times as much! They told me this was because we were "too close to sailing time" :confused:. Not only that, but the store that sold the BBD had closed liquor sales for the day! I was annoyed, but my fiance was really upset...he really wanted to buy the BBD. :( I read these forums and the port forums for months before our cruise and I'd never heard of this problem. It seems really counter-intuitive to shut down liquor sales at all while a cruise ship is in port :mad:

So for those who are planning to buy liquor in Grand Caymen, do it early as it may be the only opportunity to pick up what you want! Or you may get it much cheaper!

I was also wondering if there was anyone willing to bring back an extra bottle of BBD to the States, as I understand you can not purchase this online. I live local to the Ft. Lauderdale/ Miami area. I know it's a shot in the dark but you did not see the look on his face when he could not buy this liquor. Anybody want to sell me a bottle? :rolleyes:

We encountered that several years ago. About 1 to 1.5 hr before the ship sails, they stop selling to you. They explained that you don't take the liquor with you, but they need enough time to deliver to the ship. The ship keeps it, then give it to you before you desembark.

This year we went to G Cayman. This time I did buy two bottles of those BBD rum, with enough time left.

I just got back last Sunday from spending a week in Grand Cayman. Both stores have signs posted that they will not sell any liquior two hours before the ships departure. We purchased rum at both stores and was told if we took the rum with us back to the resort we would have to pay an additional cost, around $15 per bottle or but if we let them deliver the rum to the airport on the day we departed we didn't have to pay the extra cost.

On our Carnival Cruise two weeks ago we stopped in Grand Cayman where we ran into problems buying some liquor. We got on an excursion right away when we got to the port, and we got back around 45 minutes before the last tender. My fiance (we got engaged on the ship!) and I split up to do the shopping- he went to go buy some Big Black Dick Rum while I went to the other liquor store (Tortuga?) right at the port.

We were really shocked when the Tortuga store told us we could only shop on one side of the store, where the prices were two to three times as much! They told me this was because we were "too close to sailing time" :confused:. Not only that, but the store that sold the BBD had closed liquor sales for the day! I was annoyed, but my fiance was really upset...he really wanted to buy the BBD. :( I read these forums and the port forums for months before our cruise and I'd never heard of this problem. It seems really counter-intuitive to shut down liquor sales at all while a cruise ship is in port :mad:

So for those who are planning to buy liquor in Grand Caymen, do it early as it may be the only opportunity to pick up what you want! Or you may get it much cheaper!

I was also wondering if there was anyone willing to bring back an extra bottle of BBD to the States, as I understand you can not purchase this online. I live local to the Ft. Lauderdale/ Miami area. I know it's a shot in the dark but you did not see the look on his face when he could not buy this liquor. Anybody want to sell me a bottle? :rolleyes:

THERE is a solution...... as you leave the pier there is/or was a very small gift shop just to the right.... Here the deal..... they will sell you the liquor, BUT a sales clerk has to deliver it to the Cayman Customs Official who is sitting behind a one-way mirror just above the roped-off area. You must show your boarding pass, get behind the barrier, and the Custom Official will hand your purchase over the rope.

PS I hope Carnival doesn't read this as they do not check for liquor at Georgetown now.

The Tortuga rum stores have it set up to be sent right to the ship. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE this method. It means I can buy my rum and be on my way without lugging it around. So I can see how they have to have a cut off time in order for it to get on the ship. It can be frustrating for those that were not aware.

I'm glad I read this:) I'll be in GC again next year and was definitely going to get some of the BBD rum. The last time I was in GC, I too wondered why they had closed the liquor store in the middle of the day:(

I have always been given the option of carrying it back with me or letting the shop send it to the ship for me. I opt to take it with me.

Tortuga rum--I found that the Turtuga run was MUCH cheaper in the onboard shop than in Grand Cayman. They wanted $28 in the Tortuga store for it and I got it for $14 onboard!!!!!!!

On the Conquest last week and were told at the shopping seminar that you need to purchase liquor before 1pm in Grand Cayman so the store has time to box it up and deliver to the ship. Sometimes it pays to attend or listen to these seminars.

I have always been given the option of carrying it back with me or letting the shop send it to the ship for me. I opt to take it with me.

Tortuga rum--I found that the Turtuga run was MUCH cheaper in the onboard shop than in Grand Cayman. They wanted $28 in the Tortuga store for it and I got it for $14 onboard!!!!!!!

What store are you shopping at?!? Last time I was there, 8 months ago, Tortuga rum was about $8 a liter. $10 or $11 on the ship. And I have been to the Caymans several times, and it has been years since I have been allowed to carry it out. If they're letting you carry it out, and it's $28 a bottle, then it must not be a Tortuga store..

As a Rum lover and collector of different rums I purchased a bottle of BBD last time we were in the Caymans, when we got home we tasted it and promptly put it in the rear of our liquor cabinet, it was the worst tasting Rhum I have ever had the misfortune to taste.

I think Grand Cayman may be the worst place in the Caribbean to buy liquor. They were probably doing you a favor by not selling it to you. Buy liquor in St Maarten, St Thomas or Cozumel, but, not Grand Cayman.

The issue is buying duty free vs buying for consumption in Grand Cayman.

If buying at the last minute or for local consumption, you pay what the locals pay, taxes and all.

If you buy earlier, they have time to box and send to the ship where they hold until the end of the cruise. It will be duty free and much cheaper.

FYI we just got back from Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize. I found the best booze prices in Roatan at the duty free in the port. I don't recall the name of the shop, but, you HAVE to walk through the store when leaving the port. The day we were there they had 2 good sized bottles of Crown Royal for $20 TOTAL.

The only place we bought booze was some "off the beaten trail" tequila place in Cozumel.

Archived