Travel Visa debit card from AAA

Have read recently about someone who was unable to use ATMs in Europe (specifically Baltic cruise ports) because the card did not have a "chip."

What "chip?" How does that affect being able to get cash from an ATM with a preloaded VISA debit card that has a PIN?

I haven't gotten the card yet but I can ask at AAA. Have used such a card previously in France, Italy, Australia and New Zealand without issues. The cruise is close enough that my only other option is currency exchange aboard ship.

Reading up on this it shouldn't be a problem but it is too late for me to get any currency ahead of time other than euros or pounds. Would like to know if people were unable to use American credit or debit cards at ATMs or businesses on a Baltic cruise.

You can get other currencies at the airport.

It may cost a bit more for the exchange rate than your bank but it is good to have something when you arrive instead of running all over looking for an ATM

We have never had a problem using our debit card at any ATM in Europe

I'm not worried about finding an ATM, in the city centers of the large cities there will be lots of them, there will be ATMs in the airport too. Just about having the debit card work in them.

I don't belong to a major bank, and my credit union does not exchange currency. Not sure how much time I will have at the airport as I have to retrieve luggage and then catch a shuttle for a 2 hour ride to the ship.

I'm not worried about finding an ATM, in the city centers of the large cities there will be lots of them, there will be ATMs in the airport too. Just about having the debit card work in them.

I don't belong to a major bank, and my credit union does not exchange currency.

They will work in the ATM's but not POS terminals in the shops

I would take a different one from another bank as a back up......if it does not work in one ATM then try another bank branch

Be sure to tell your bank you are travelling so they do not freeze your account

I don't belong to a major bank, and my credit union does not exchange currency. Not sure how much time I will have at the airport as I have to retrieve luggage and then catch a shuttle for a 2 hour ride to the ship.

There is usually an ATM in baggage claim area

enjoy the trip

Archived