Is there internet access in all staterooms? How much are the internet packages?

stipmom

Trying to decide whether to bring a laptop.

Hi Stipmom !

Here's a link to Azamara's website, which answers your questions :

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=?faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&faqId=515&pagename=faq_answers

I'm not certain if the rates listed are accurate, as a number of items on their website are outdated. I hope this helps. Enjoy your Cruise !

We've taken a netbook on our last 2 Azamara cruises. Worked well both in the cabin and in most public areas. Just remember that as on almost all ships the connection speed is s l o w... The packages are similar to what is on the website but we will be a the second tier (I think its called discoverer?) of the Le club Voyage

(or whatever they are calling it now) so on our second week of b2b this fall we are supposed to get 20 minutes a day free!!. Weve taken the netbook ashore in europe and have found a good number of free wifi spots

usually in cafe's where you get a pretty quick connection.

One thing we have done and I know others have suggested this too but

when e-mailing, use word or someother program to compose the text, then go on line and attach it instead of composing the whole document

while you are burning up valuable ships internet time...

Yes they have it available but it is VERY expensive because you are using a satellite-based system. As I really wanted it for the quick communication every day or so, I paid the 60c per minute and bought a $29 package which lasted me the 7 days of the cruise.

Some things to note:

Sign up on day 1 of the cruise (you need to go to the computer section for this to create a username). They have a special which is an additional 10 mins making it 60mins for $29 if you sign up on day one. You may have to wait a while - the manager didn't seem in any rush to assist me the first time I tried to find out and register for the service and I had to return (and wait again) to sign up.

I am a tech-savvy person and build and manage corporate computer networks, however if you are not careful, your 60 minutes will be used uf in a flash because of the way the service is structured. You have to log on each time you connect wirelessly and the clock starts ticking then (it gives you totals though so you can monitor usage which is good). You do need to log off - I set up a shortcut for this and zapped the connection as soon as I had sent/received my emails. If you don't do this - the clock keeps ticking!

To get maximum use out of my time I wrote all emails offline (no pics just text) and once I was ready I connected, sent, received, disconnected. Managed to do that between 1 and 5 minutes per session and that worked out quite well.

I have to say that there is something quite exciting sending an email from somewhere "off St Tropez" or something - if nothing else, it will burn your friends and family up with envy!!! So enjoy it but do a bit of planning beforehand and keep "surfing" to a bare minimum as this will chew up your allocation very quickly.

BTW, I managed to find free WIFI in a number of ports we went to - even Monaco!!! Check with the local travel agents - onboard on in the city you visit. It is a common request nowadays and many places (like Macdonalds) offer a free wifi service. Make the most of that and supplement it with the onboard service.

Also, we only book hotels with free wifi these days. Essential if you need to change flight bookings etc as we had during the last holiday. Skype allowed us to keep in contact with the house sitters too. Couldn't be without my iphone and a link to the world!!

We are celebrity elite so we will be at the top level for Azamara and will get some free minutes. My husband will probably want more so we will look into the 60 minutes for $29

The idea of composing e mails on word before sending is a good one. Thanks

StipMom

I also make it a point to manage my incoming mail

Family and friends are instructed to put in the subject

line...

read now

read when you return (this covers jokes, non pressing info)

Also, I request that no pictures are sent to us when we are traveling and no cute background stationary..etc etc

All of that takes time to download on a ship and you literally watch your minutes drain!!!

When we travel the email that we send out is usually sent to the same core of friends and family..

the inner circle..

they all know each other pretty well, so I don't have to

censor myself

So, I will send out the same email to everyone at once

and then at the bottom of the same email..I make specific notes to each person..

This saves a tremendous amount of internet minutes..

I found when I was on the Pacific Princess, the router was right next to the pursers office..and the internet speed increased dramatically versus being in my cabin 7111 or 7117

Hope this helps!

K

We are celebrity elite so we will be at the top level for Azamara and will get some free minutes. My husband will probably want more so we will look into the 60 minutes for $29

The idea of composing emails on word before sending is a good one. Thanks

If you are both elite, you will each get a $99 package. We recently sailed on Quest and that was more than enough for two weeks using the ideas above. I have a folder that contains all the e-mail addresses of family and friend to whom I want to send. It's title is "If This is Tuesday it must be....". I simply click on it, click on "attachment" and attach the file I've done on word, and hit send. That gives me time to read anything from them and just skip the store ads.

You'll enjoy the elite perks. We also each got a coupon for a free bag of laundry. We used one each week and it really cut down on packing. The clothes came back beautifully done on hangers.

Enjoy your cruise.

Jennie

Archived