15mth old,what do we do with him while on shore excursion

coronawomen

We cruised 8 times before, but this is our 1st with our grandson who will be 15 months old come cruise time. Us 7 adults are wanting to do a jolly roger booze cruise excursion and wonder being our grandson is not old enough for camp carnival yet, what are our options? :confused:

Does the ship offer private babysitting while we do this 4 hour tour?:confused: I did call and ask Carnival, and was told he would be able to do camp carnival, but reading all the posts on here, it sounds like age 2 is minimum to go in there. I re-called Carnival and was told once again they would allow him, I don't believe them. HELP?

Otherwise, all of our other days will consist of taxi to our favorite beaches and shopping.

We cruised 8 times before, but this is our 1st with our grandson who will be 15 months old come cruise time. Us 7 adults are wanting to do a jolly roger booze cruise excursion and wonder being our grandson is not old enough for camp carnival yet, what are our options? :confused:

Does the ship offer private babysitting while we do this 4 hour tour?:confused: I did call and ask Carnival, and was told he would be able to do camp carnival, but reading all the posts on here, it sounds like age 2 is minimum to go in there. I re-called Carnival and was told once again they would allow him, I don't believe them. HELP?

Otherwise, all of our other days will consist of taxi to our favorite beaches and shopping.

I think you may be out of luck on this one.

In my experience, the kid's club thing has a specific cut off at the age of two. Even when my daughter was 22 months... two away from her birthday, she couldn't participate in the club.

I'm not sure who you're speaking to at Carnival, but if they are saying it, get it in writing (then post a copy of it for all of us here on Cruise Critic ;) )

You guys might have to "tag team" two booze cruises on your trip. One with your grandchild's parents... and one without them...

I feel that you are getting incorrect info. The cut off age has always been 2 yrs unless they recently changed. Even if you get it in writing, they may still say "no" on the ship as the staff there cannot just change the rules.

Customer service on land can tell you anything - what counts are the rules on the ship - they are not going to want to hear "well, customer service told me" even if you have it in writing.

Maybe you will be the good grandma and stay with the baby that day.

Customer service on land can tell you anything - what counts are the rules on the ship - they are not going to want to hear "well, customer service told me" even if you have it in writing.

Someone may have to be the designated non-boozer for that day.:)

We have cruised on Carnival 10 times with our DS who is now 3. On every cruise we have been on with Carnival they offered port day babysitting for children under two from arrival in port until 12noon for daytime port stops. For evening calls, their hours for the under 2 crowd vary. They charge $6 per hour.

So if your tour is over by noon, you should have no problem. If it isn't over by noon then you may be out of luck. You can nicely ask Camp Carnival to keep him longer for a nice tip and additional hourly charges, but they may or may not be able to do. That would be a game time decision, which does make it hard to make prior reservations.

They also provide babysitting for children under 2 for $6 an hour on sea days from 12pm-2pm and every evening from 10pm-3am. They do appreciate gratuity, and might even be more willing to make exceptions to their times if they feel they are going to be compensated. But sometimes they are unable to make exceptions on a particular cruise because of the number of older kids they have to watch as well.

Do be aware that if you take a Carnival sponsored excursion that they often run late and Camp Carnival will charge you double time if you are late. There are many Carnival excursions that do not charge for children 3 and under. That doesn't help you for your Booze Cruise, but it might for some other excursions that you are considering.

Carnival does not offer private babysitting. Even most cruise lines that do offer private babysitting do not do so in port.

I am a grandma, and if it were me I would be the first one on the Jolly Roger.

Does the Jolly Roger have a minimum age? We took our granddaughter on a Catamaran excursion in St Thomas (booked throught RCCL - under 4 was free). I called the Excursion company directly and asked questions. There was free-flowing Rum Punch, beach-time (they brought her to shore by a little inflatable boat). No problems.

We also did another excursion with her where two of us did horseback riding (we had 5 adults); the other three were driven with our DGD to a private beach where the riders met us two hours later.

There were times when one of us might miss a show or something, but overall we are very glad she was with us.

I'm going to start a thread on here shortly about our experiences crusing with her, and I'll try to answer any questions.

We also did another excursion with her where two of us did horseback riding (we had 5 adults); the other three were driven with our DGD to a private beach where the riders met us two hours later.

Kicker- which port was this in? We are travelling with 4 adults and a 19 month old on the Enchantment in December and that type of excursion combo might work for us.

Kicker- which port was this in? We are travelling with 4 adults and a 19 month old on the Enchantment in December and that type of excursion combo might work for us.

The port was Samana. It was through Terry (you can find info for him on the Port boards). The excursion was a bus ride (bench seats - we held our DGD - holds 20 people). Terry charged $70 for the tour which inlcuded the ride, horseback riding through a long trail, beach time with a meal, a walking tour of a riverfall area, and a tour of his property, pointing out various plants and such. For the 3 of us who didn't do the horseback he charged $50 each - no charge for the baby. Very reasonable considering we got everything else (tours, meal).

I am a grandma, and if it were me I would be the first one on the Jolly Roger.

Thanks. I, as a 43yr old grandmother will be the first one signed up for the jolly roger, trust me. As for drinking, my son-in-law does not drink or smoke at all, so having someone responsible in charge is not the question or problem here.:rolleyes:

Thanks all who are helping with figuring out if we can do the in room babysitting while trying to do this 1 excursion together. Everyday is a port day, and we've been to each island before and have everything planned as a group, however doing the jolly roger - just figured it would be easier WITHOUT the toddler along. There is a child rate for this cruise, and if it comes down to it, we will bring him along as dad can be in charge of him, but we're hoping not, as we'd like him to enjoy the time also.

I'm still not getting the answers I want - does Carnival offer in room babysitting during port days for an afternoon excursion? Seems like everyone is talking only morning hours until noon and after 10pm. Many excursions are planned starting at 10 - 11am for the booze cruises.

I may be wrong here, but the vast majority of people on a booze cruise end up coming off the little boat having had quite a few drinks. I would suggest someone not go on the Jolly Roger so that they can watch the toddler, and still not be intoxicated and able to care for said toddler after the boat ride. JMHO.

Ok, so 2 people wont be drinking? Fine then, so Im guessing they just want to hang out on the booze cruise, enjoy the atmosphere of others drinking, and not drink themselves? Interesting. And I dont mean that in an offensive way at all, its just that I dont really drink much, ever, and I would never go on a booze cruise, because it just doesnt appeal to me, since I dont drink.

Im not sure about Carnival, Ive never cruised with them, so I cant offer any advice/ info on in room sitting. But that does sound like it would be the best option if it is avail. Hopefully someone will be able to chime in with the info youre looking for.

From the Carnival website....please note the end of the paragraph.................

Do you provide babysitting services?

Besides the complimentary Camp Carnival activities that are available every day, babysitting is also available every evening from 10:00 pm to 3:00 am. Infants to 8 year olds have their babysitting in the Playroom with movie-time, snacks and drinks. 9-11year-olds have Night Owls Rule with video games, movies, board games, snacks and drinks from 10:00 pm to 12:00 am. They will join regular babysitting from 12:00 am to 3:00 am. The charge for babysitting is $6.00 per hour for the first child and $4.00 for each additional sibling and will be charged to your Sail & Sign card. Please sign up with the Youth Staff in advance. All babysitting takes place in Camp Carnival. There is NO in-stateroom babysitting available.

From the Carnival website....please note the end of the paragraph.................

Do you provide babysitting services?

Besides the complimentary Camp Carnival activities that are available every day, babysitting is also available every evening from 10:00 pm to 3:00 am. Infants to 8 year olds have their babysitting in the Playroom with movie-time, snacks and drinks. 9-11year-olds have Night Owls Rule with video games, movies, board games, snacks and drinks from 10:00 pm to 12:00 am. They will join regular babysitting from 12:00 am to 3:00 am. The charge for babysitting is $6.00 per hour for the first child and $4.00 for each additional sibling and will be charged to your Sail & Sign card. Please sign up with the Youth Staff in advance. All babysitting takes place in Camp Carnival. There is NO in-stateroom babysitting available.

WOW! Looking at these hours we are talking all night time. All shore excursions are day time hours. What upsets me the most is we were debating between RCCL & Carnival and after being reasured with Carnival we booked a non refundable deposit. Now to find out they lied not once, but twice about this all. We were told he would be allowed in Camp Carnival while we did shore excursions, only to find out on these threads you have to be 2+ yrs old. I'm very very upset about this. Thanks so very very much for finding this info, I thought I went through Carnivals rules pretty well looking for this info, guess not in the long run.

We'll make due. Again thanks all!!

On port days they will offer babysitting for under 2 if you are booked on an excursion. However, there is no way to contact you on shore. The pagers and cell phones do not work on land, only on the boat. We always just do a beachy type excursion and bring the baby with us. Im too paranoid about something happening and them not able to contact us. Either that, or one of us will stay back on ship just in case.

In addition to the nighttime babysitting Carnival offers under 2 babysitting from noon-2pm on sea days and on port days from time of arrival in port until noon (or later if excursion is later). It isnt only nighttime as the website states. We have cruised many times with our children and used this service many times during during the day.

In addition to the nighttime babysitting Carnival offers under 2 babysitting from noon-2pm on sea days and on port days from time of arrival in port until noon (or later if excursion is later). It isnt only nighttime as the website states. We have cruised many times with our children and used this service many times during during the day.

So what you are telling me is you've used the babysitting services on the ship when your child was under 2, correct? Plus, our excursion is 4 hours, which we all know they run alittle late, not to mention you have to be down & ready 45 minutes ahead of time. However, doing every jolly roger trip in our past, we've ALWAYS met up prior to 11am and off we went, therefore our excursions ARE in the afternoon, and what I'm gathering from you is we CAN put him in babysitting for our afternoon excursion even though they do not offer babysitting at this time?

Nighttime is not one of our main concerns as of yet. I'm sure we'll think of that once it gets closer to our sail date. Thanks for your help.

Yes, we used the sea days, noon-2pm babysitting many times. We inquired about port day babysitting and they said they would keep them for the length of the tour not to worry if it ran over. We decided not to leave her on ship for the tour though since there was no way to contact us in case of an emergency. Grandma decided to stay with her instead and the rest of us did the tour. I cant comment on afternoon tours unless the ship arrives after noon. You can check with camp carnival once onboard and cancel if necessary. Im sure they will be fine with it.

I think my question is do you really want to leave a 15-month old on the ship for some five hours when there is no way for them to contact you? I'm afraid I just wouldn't be able to enjoy the excursion.

Yes, we used the sea days, noon-2pm babysitting many times. We inquired about port day babysitting and they said they would keep them for the length of the tour not to worry if it ran over. We decided not to leave her on ship for the tour though since there was no way to contact us in case of an emergency. Grandma decided to stay with her instead and the rest of us did the tour. I cant comment on afternoon tours unless the ship arrives after noon. You can check with camp carnival once onboard and cancel if necessary. Im sure they will be fine with it.

Our experience has been that they only want to keep the under 2's until noon because they take the older kids to eat at noon and don't need the hassle of having to feed the little one while they are trying to control and feed the older kids. If you ask them very nicely and give them a very nice tip they may do it, but nothing will be for sure until that day as that is not part of their regular program. When my son was under 2, we were 15 minutes late getting back from our excursion and they charged us double when we picked him up. We had left a 30 minute window and that still wasn't enough. We have been on many Carnival excursions that run more than an hour late. I really didn't care about the money, but I did feel bad that they had to take him up to the Lido with all the big kids when they already had their hands full. They deserved more than double for that so we made sure to tip them very well.

To sum up, Carnival does in fact offer multiple options for drop-off care for under-2's:

at night: kids are "babysat" in camp carnival for six bucks an hour from 10 pm to 3 am.

during the day:

PORT DAY: under 2's are "babysat" at camp carnival from port arrival until noon for six bucks an hour.

SEA DAY: under 2's are "babysat" at camp carnival from noon to 2 pm. Camp Carnival is closed during this time. Parents have the option of staying and playing with the child, or of dropping them off.

Carnival applies the name 'camp carnival' only to the preplanned schedule of activities offered to those two and up, and does not offer in-cabin babysitting ever, and I've found the terminology can get very confusing. i.e. when one poster days "carnival doesn't do babysitting" and they mean "no in-cabin babysitting", etc.

IMO carnival is the best line to take a two-year-old on. Have fun!

You are bringing a 15 month old on a cruise and you want ditch him so you can go do a booze cruise. Who will be watching this baby when you all come back drunk?

IMHO maybe you should be finding someone to leave this baby with instead of taking him on the cruise.

Let the flaming begin..........

You are bringing a 15 month old on a cruise and you want ditch him so you can go do a booze cruise. Who will be watching this baby when you all come back drunk?

IMHO maybe you should be finding someone to leave this baby with instead of taking him on the cruise.

Let the flaming begin..........

Agreed!

Archived