Bermuda...Veendam or Summit???

Rotterdam

On on the Veedam 8/22/10- Looking forward to an old fashioned cruise to Bermuda, on an intimate and manageable ship. I'm sworn off the Mega ships for now. Let us know how your cruise went, all the good and bad.

Hi! We are on the same sailing.

Hi! We are on the same sailing.

Looking forward to it. There's a roll call for this cruise, they're having trouble getting the minimum required for a meet n greet. If you are so inclined, sign up for it. I sometimes go to them but help out in that way. However, knowing family's onboard, I might. Have no idea if there's FOD on HAL cruises.

Looking forward to it. There's a roll call for this cruise, they're having trouble getting the minimum required for a meet n greet. If you are so inclined, sign up for it. I sometimes go to them but help out in that way. However, knowing family's onboard, I might. Have no idea if there's FOD on HAL cruises.

I already signed up! LOL!

Join the fun----if not----let's plan to meet for a drink---it can be our very own FOD!

Hope you had a wonderful cruise.....looking forward to reading of your experiences.....

We sail on Sunday!!!!

Definitely getting excited about the trip for sure. It sounds like there will be plenty to do in Bermuda. I've read some good recent reviews of the Veendam, too, which is always good to hear since that'll be our transportation, restaurant, and hotel this trip. :) And depending on how things go, we may well try the Summit next year . . . . I'll try to report back on here after we get back to Boston July 5th.

Hey guys - just wanted to report in real quick that we had a great time on the Veendam and in Bermuda. The ship was in good shape for the most part -- the refurb last year spruced things up quite a bit. Our Lanai stateroom worked out very well -- it felt small, but it the bathroom felt especially roomy. The food on the ship was about as good as we've ever had on any of our cruises -- really, really tasty across the board. Unfortunately, the main problem we experienced this cruise was getting to the food. :) As You Wish dining did not work at all on this ship -- the host in the Rotterdam dining room was undertrained, overwhelmed, and completely ineffective. So my advice would be to try to switch to fixed seating as soon as you get on (assuming you don't have it already).

Other quick ship notes. The entertainment was fantastic -- they really have assembled a talented group of folks, which is surprising given the size of the ship. We had 1482 passengers on board, and LOTS of kids. So unfortunately, the only pool was practically unusuable. It does make you appreciate the adults only pools on the some of the larger Princess, RCI, and Celebrity ships for sure. The Retreat area at the back was nice enough, but it was understaffed so that there were towels, glasses, empty food trays, etc., littered around by mid afternoon each day. We met so many nice folks on this cruise, too -- that's always a highlight for us. There were even a couple of Philadelphia Eagles on board (for a group cruise), and those two guys were certainly something to see! :) They did have one LGBT gathering on the second night that was not well attended, but we did meet a few really nice guys there (which is always nice at the start of a cruise) -- no women attended, but there were several female couples onboard.

One of the best things, of course, was having what felt like quite a bit of time in Bermuda. We pretty much did our own thing, and that worked out well for us. We tendered in to St. George's the first day. Shopped and toured around a bit there, then went to St. Catherine's beach, which was a 10-minute walk from town. The next day we were docked in Hamilton, so we bought a 2-day bus/ferry pass and rode all around the island the next couple days -- ferry to Dockyards, bus to Somerset and Warwick Long Bay beach, bus to Chrystal Caves (that was an especially beautiful drive). The last day was rainy, so we just shopped around Hamilton that day before sailing away around 1:30.

I hope to put together a more detailed review later, but that's at least a quick overview. If I can answer any questions at all, just let me know.

Ed (and Rich)

Thanks again...I'll post when we return....Bermuda is always wonderful....my first time there was back in the mid 1970's.....and sailing out of NYC is so easy for us...10 minutes & we are at the pier.....

Full moon & smoothe seas to you!!!

Oh wow, are you guys anywhere near the Hudson Hotel on 9th and 58th? We stayed there on 7/4 -- the hotel room was smaller than our stateroom on the Veendam! :)

Have a great trip! I'll be anxious to hear all about it when you all return.

We live in the Washington Square area / West Village.....its a great area...think Edith Wharton buildings...its a historic district so no high rises.

Too funny about the Hudson Hotel....its in a great area for tourism & yes teh room are small - but so are most in NYC!!!!

We are ready - just finishing packing & dinner out tonight - the car service will pick us up tomorrow....

We'll post upon our return....thanks again guys!!!

PS - it has been miserably hot here this week - over 100 degrees & very humid...its raining now & tomorrow should be in the high 80's & sunny - a spectacular day to sail.....

Oh wow, are you guys anywhere near the Hudson Hotel on 9th and 58th? We stayed there on 7/4 -- the hotel room was smaller than our stateroom on the Veendam! :)

Have a great trip! I'll be anxious to hear all about it when you all return.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post more later but we had a nice visit to Bermuda...too short actually.....

as far as the ship...it was more like a Holiday Inn..from the 1970's....

I have over 100 days on HAL ships & unless there is a great itinerary we will not be back.

The size of the ship was nice, we had 200 kids onboard(we learned apparently you can be 12 years old & unsupervised for a week on a ship all day & nite). HAL should be ashamed that "The Retreat" is marketed as anything more than a puddle on the back of the ship...overlooking the (worst tasting) pizza and bar area on the 7 seas. By mid afternoon it was gross to say it nicely.

The food was ok.....nothing exceptional & it all tasted the same by Wednesday. We ate at local places in Bermuda a couple of times & that was great....

The service was fair...HAL has cut back so much that the stewards should be on roller blades...

In the Main Diningroom (we only ate there 2 nites) we were finished in an hour...that was with ordering wine, apps, main & coffe & dessert.....and we sat down @8:45 pm.....the waiters were running to get somewhere that was for sure.

We ate in Canneletto 3 times & enjoyed that....nothing fantastic but it was quiet.

We had made reservations for the Pinnacle Grill but when we boarded the manager could not find them & he had such a bad (rude to say the least)attitude we cancelled them(especially after a disasterous meal on the NOordam in the same venue a couple of years ago).

The lounges were DEAD.....even on the sea days...the djs were pathetic, in teh Ocean Bar teh band was good but teh lead spke more than she played. We only looked in to the last stage show & left after 10 minutes - not our style. On teh last nite the ship was desserted by 11:pm!!!!!!

Our cabin stewards were very nice - but we never saw them except in the hall...despite renovations to the cabin ..the bath tub was gross - chipped & must be original - so lots of use. The bath matt I had removed - it too was original to the ship. The towels & linens & blankets need to be replaced -all had tears & stains that did not wash out in the laundry.

Bermuda is wonderful & special......the tendering into St George is a joke - only 1 tender every 2 hours. HAL should just go to Hamilton for the entire stay...and yet St George is wonderful!!!! And being on Front Street is great.

THE KIDS...never again will we sail in the summer or during school holidays....the main pool was overrun w/ the little ones - sometimes at nite unsupervised..there was a group on our deck - pre teens - running wild at 11:30pm. they were everywhere at all hours - shame on the parents......

We love Bermuda but will fly next time....as i stated HAL has cut back so much that there is nothing of HAL left....the staff was so overworked that many had surly attitudes.

We chose this ship fpr the extra day in Bermuda....next time we will stick to Cunard & try Seabourn / Silversea and Regent.

Your comments on that rear pool area being a bust...just what I expected.......

HAL.....I agree it is not the same. The shift to family cruising I do not think is compatible with what HAL was....which to me was old school.

I also think that Carnival Corp changes everything they buy...into cash machines. They will continue to market to younger families which they see as their future business.

Princess is no where what it was, although I still like the Princess staff above all other mass market lines.

Children....will be children. Its the parents that need to be nailed. I was impressed on the Crown Princess last December when the Captain spoke on the PA system before we cast off: that parents are responsible for the behavior of their children. If yor kids disrupt the vacation of other passengers, you will be taken off the ship at the next port. I was impressed. Maybe HAL should follow this example.

As for my cruise next May to Bermuda.....I am glad I will be on the Summit....I only hope that she has her Solstice makeover by then. If not, I am hoping things will be in good repair and a may 29th sailing wont be "summer school" for kids.

Now if I just survive the ugliest ship of the seven seas...EPIC in September! Maybe its time to go back to Regent, or even Star Clipper.

A lot of what Rotterdam is reporting about Veendam is not suprising to me. Cruising style in general is not what it used to be, unless you book a luxury line. I have sailed older ships to Bermuda; does anyone remember NCL Crown? That was an older ship that fit into St. Georges cut. I had nothing good to say about that cruise experience. Rotterdam confirms what I learned years ago. Old ship are old no matter what the cruise line does to them. I am taking stock that my time on board is minimized by the extra time in Bermuda.

we rented moped and travelled all over the island...(my partner loved it - his first time there, I have been many times since the 1970's). We checked out the Hamilton Princess Hotel & plan on staying there for our next trip to Bermuda. We ate a local restaurants for lunch in St George & Hamilton....the mopeds gave us the flexibility to swim shop tour at our own pace....

On the day & a half down & back we read, walked the promenade deck & just spent time w/ each other...wonderful.

A lot of what Rotterdam is reporting about Veendam is not suprising to me. Cruising style in general is not what it used to be, unless you book a luxury line. I have sailed older ships to Bermuda; does anyone remember NCL Crown? That was an older ship that fit into St. Georges cut. I had nothing good to say about that cruise experience. Rotterdam confirms what I learned years ago. Old ship are old no matter what the cruise line does to them. I am taking stock that my time on board is minimized by the extra time in Bermuda.

On our last nite I was speaking to a manager onboard & stated how we found the cutbacks severe...he said" you can tell"..I said it was like a Carnival Cruise...he said oh no Carnival is not as luxurious....I nearly fell over.

I hope to do a full review later....I/ we have sailed 3 times in the last few years w/ HAL

- once on Prinsendam - 14 days, 10 days on NOordam & this recent Veendam 7 days.....we most likely will not return( I have 100+ days on HAL).

I don't see how HAL can remain a viable product based on what we saw.. I now imagine Carnivore folding it into Carnival....

Your comments on that rear pool area being a bust...just what I expected.......

HAL.....I agree it is not the same. The shift to family cruising I do not think is compatible with what HAL was....which to me was old school.

I also think that Carnival Corp changes everything they buy...into cash machines. They will continue to market to younger families which they see as their future business.

Princess is no where what it was, although I still like the Princess staff above all other mass market lines.

Children....will be children. Its the parents that need to be nailed. I was impressed on the Crown Princess last December when the Captain spoke on the PA system before we cast off: that parents are responsible for the behavior of their children. If yor kids disrupt the vacation of other passengers, you will be taken off the ship at the next port. I was impressed. Maybe HAL should follow this example.

As for my cruise next May to Bermuda.....I am glad I will be on the Summit....I only hope that she has her Solstice makeover by then. If not, I am hoping things will be in good repair and a may 29th sailing wont be "summer school" for kids.

Now if I just survive the ugliest ship of the seven seas...EPIC in September! Maybe its time to go back to Regent, or even Star Clipper.

we rented moped and travelled all over the island...(my partner loved it - his first time there, I have been many times since the 1970's). We checked out the Hamilton Princess Hotel & plan on staying there for our next trip to Bermuda. We ate a local restaurants for lunch in St George & Hamilton....the mopeds gave us the flexibility to swim shop tour at our own pace....

On the day & a half down & back we read, walked the promenade deck & just spent time w/ each other...wonderful.

Our plans precisely! Tune out the ship and it don't matter. Cruising even on a bad ship (this one sounds bad) still beats sitting at home. Rent mopeds on the island and you're free.

So sorry to hear about your experience on the Veendam, guys. We had a lot of similar problems on our sailing, but just to a lesser degree our week (although my parnter's overall impressions were close to yours). I will say that our experience has led me to reconsider putting a gay group cruise that I am organizing for next summer to Bermuda on this ship. I've heard mostly positive things about the Summit, so that may be the better choice to Bermuda (especially after her "Solsticization"). :)

Well, I hope you all have something much better on the horizon. I think you still cannot go wrong with Cunard, Regent, Silversea, et al. (at least for now). Thanks again for posting your thoughts. Hope to see you all on a cruise someday!

Ed (and Rich)

Since we have not had great experiences with HAL on the last 3 cruises with them we will probably not return.

The Summit & Dockyard would be our choice......the tendering in St George was rididculous & uneven...it was more like a half extra day in Bermuda.....we have not experienced Celebrity in a few years & it would be fun to be back on a ship that was fun & interesting.

And as we liked the Hamilton Princess that will be our first choice in returning to Bermuda.

So sorry to hear about your experience on the Veendam, guys. We had a lot of similar problems on our sailing, but just to a lesser degree our week (although my parnter's overall impressions were close to yours). I will say that our experience has led me to reconsider putting a gay group cruise that I am organizing for next summer to Bermuda on this ship. I've heard mostly positive things about the Summit, so that may be the better choice to Bermuda (especially after her "Solsticization"). :)

Well, I hope you all have something much better on the horizon. I think you still cannot go wrong with Cunard, Regent, Silversea, et al. (at least for now). Thanks again for posting your thoughts. Hope to see you all on a cruise someday!

Ed (and Rich)

Since we have not had great experiences with HAL on the last 3 cruises with them we will probably not return.

Haven't been on the Veendam, but we won't sail on the Ryndam again after 2 "less than stellar" experiences.

The good news is that I've heard the 'Retreat' modifications are being put on hold for the rest of the ships that had it scheduled. Lots of complaints and people are REALLY miffed about the adult pool being gone. The other mods i.e. Canaletto, Mix, Lanai staterooms, etc. are going ahead as scheduled.

We're looking forward to being on the Rotterdam coming up on September 4.

If they are on hold.....its because of the economy. I cannot believe Carnival Corp cares about what passengers think about the pool removal. The addition of cabins to generate additional revenue is the driver....period. Me, I hope Ryndam is left alone permanently after her interior upgrades.....

I sailed Ryndam last October out of Tampa and would do her again...her size is so much more to my liking than bigger ships.

But Carnival Corp will continue to change the product....attract families and make it premium in name...or should I say with additional surcharges.

In the end....I figure they will build a HAL mega ship, probably based on the Princess prototype coming out in 2013. Then watch the Statendam Class ships get sold off. Hope I am wrong.

Hi , I booked the Sept . 5 , Bermuda cruise with some of my friends.

I picked the Veendam because of the very good reviews and blogs about HAL and the ship. I sail mainly with Cunard , so I this should be a good transition. Bermuda sounds great with 4 days! I am a beach guy .

Also sailing form New york is a plus!

Hello Anchor guy

i will be sailing as well on sept 5 on veendam...to bermuda! this will be my second time in Bermuda...1rst on HAL...and on a mid size ship...

see you there!

Archived