MP3 player suggestion?

daryleann

Having never had an MP3 player, and not needing the music, what one would you suggest to hear audio guides for our cruise to Italy? We also do not travel with a computer, so I would need to have a way to charge battery without a lot of paraphernalia/USB cord. I have battery charger AA/AAA and lithium for cameras.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

any MP3 player that takes AA or AAA batteries will do, they are all pretty much the same. Load it up from your pc, take it with you and play till the batteries run down, then replace the batteries. Simple. We had these before we got our ipod Nanos, MP3s are all mostly small and very affordable.

Having never had an MP3 player, and not needing the music, what one would you suggest to hear audio guides for our cruise to Italy? We also do not travel with a computer, so I would need to have a way to charge battery without a lot of paraphernalia/USB cord. I have battery charger AA/AAA and lithium for cameras.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Well folks, it sounds as if you have a very specific application you're going to be using your MP3 player for. That being the case - check with your travel agent to see if the cruise - or tour guide - might be supplying a player for the audio guides. Remember, you'll need to "upload" the audio files to your MP3 player in some fashion, and that's generally done from a computer, such as a laptop. If you don't plan on using the MP3 player after the cruise, perhaps you can just rent them during. Good luck...

Actually, we got turned on to the RIck Steves site that has lots of guides to download. Had hubby listen to one and he thinks that it would be fine for most sites. So, we would have them loaded... and that is another thing... how much 'memory' would I need for 7-8 hour+ guides???

I'm the last to be an Apple fanatic, but our family owns a iPod, iTouch and Nano. IMHO the Nano can't be beat for size/price. Yeah its a closed system but if there is any area Apple dominates the most its the music player MP3 space. You can buy a cheap USB charger from Amazon or under 20 bucks so you don't need a laptop to charge it. It will run hours and is too easy to use. In that I give apple credit.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

daryleann,

My DH and I used the Rick Steve's audio tours on a vacation to Paris several years ago and loved them. It was the same information that was in his tour books. One thing to remember is to make sure you get an MP3 player with enough storage space. Some of those files are large.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feastronics-Touchscreen-recorder-Camcorder-speaker/dp/B0017I6LRA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276538413&sr=1-4

is an example of what you'll get for half the price of an ipod Nano...

do any of your cellphones have microSD cards? that is another option if they do, load a few of these cards and off you go... the SD cards normally go up to 16GB, I'd assume that was enough for a few podcasts/tours? I know this because our phones both have SD slots. IF it's a bit techie for you ask the kids (that's what I do and I'm 40!:o)

(and you'll already have a charger with you for your phone, no need to take another charger with you.

Okay - did more research and when I found one I liked it only charges with USB cord. Is this the way for all? (except the ones that dock and don't want all that either)

Really liked the SanDisk SDMthat I can use the SD cards with. Guess I will have to go to Best buy and try several.

Thanks for all the help.

Not really sure how much money you want to spend but ITouch is the only way I would go. I download MP3 audio books and convert to M4B.

I download AVI movies and convert to Apple format. You can watch movies, listen to audio books and music and look at photos. With a hot

spot you can Youtube, check your e-m and go on the web. You also can get storage charges for those long plane rides. I listen to audio books to and from work and it sure makes the ride seem shorter. If anyone wants the M4b converter ( It's free ) let me know and I will find it and post it.

Okay - did more research and when I found one I liked it only charges with USB cord. Is this the way for all? (except the ones that dock and don't want all that either)

Really liked the SanDisk SDMthat I can use the SD cards with. Guess I will have to go to Best buy and try several.

Thanks for all the help.

Charging through USB is easy enough. If the MPS3 player you choose does not come with an AC->USB power plug, there are quite a few 3rd party solutions. Just make sure it runs on the voltage you need (120 and/or 220).

8 hours of talking takes up very little memory. Just about any player will hold that much and quite a bit more.

Archived