Android Phones in Europe

donaldsc

I am thinking of buying a Droid phone. Besides the fact that they are really neat phones, I can see several ways that it will be useful when I travel. I plan to use it for trips in Europe, in spite of the fact that my carrier (Verizon) does not sell a good internationally enabled phone. I plan to use the phone when I am off the ship in Europe, not on the ship.

1) How much WIFI connectivity will I find in Europe? If I get a good WIFI signal, I can send and receive e-mail.

2) Even though Verizon does not have international coverage, I can make phone calls from Europe using Skype Mobile. Will this plan work?

3) I know that I can use Google Maps and the phone GPS to do navigation in the US. Assuming that I get good enough WIFI coverage, will this also work in Europe?

4) Is there anyone who has a Droid phone who can tell me if I should go out and buy one or should I stick with my existing Palm Treo phone?

DON

I have a Blackberry by Verizon and just called them up to add on global service for the dates I would be gone. It was so simple and worked just like at home.

While off the ship, I had internet access via my phone, email, and calling. Updated via facebook to family and friends home and sent photos taken from the phone. Had no trouble whatsoever getting connected off the ship.

On the ship, I had no service once we got out of port.

Not sure if google maps/GPS will work or not. I think the phone has to be able to download the maps from where you are at. Not sure how that works.

I would call Verizon and see if the Droid is global accessible. IF so, then activate it for the time you are gone. Just goes on your monthly billing. I didn't even have to call when I returned home to cancel it. It just stopped on the date I had told them.

I would call Verizon and see if the Droid is global accessible. IF so, then activate it for the time you are gone. Just goes on your monthly billing. I didn't even have to call when I returned home to cancel it. It just stopped on the date I had told them.

I know that the Droid phones are not global accessible as a phone. That is why I plan to access the internet via WIFI and use Skype to make my calls.

DON

Archived