Formal Night - Fashion Police Question

Debbie&Chaz

A couple of years ago, prior to my first HAL cruise, I made the mistake of posting a question on the HAL board about dressing in smart casual clothing on formal night (not in the MDR). As so many others, I was asking a legitimate question that I thought would get a simple response. I received the usual onslaught of quoting da code, chastising of those who would consider such a thing, was told that cruises were "ruined" because less than formally clad pax were encountered in the common area (yes, the word "ruined" was used), etc., etc., etc.

That was my first post on the HAL board (not CC) and I was appalled by the attitude and nastiness of several of the responders. It got pretty ugly, as well as comical...IMO. I have to say that since that time, many of those responders have really toned down and are not as quick to villify those who would consider dressing in less than formal attire on formal night. Sure, there are still the hard core folks who come across as "meanies" but they are becoming the minority.

I'm not easily intimidated so the "meanies" didn't scare me. However, all who ask these simple dress code questions aren't made of the same "tuff stuff" as me and I can only imagine their horror when reading some of the responses. My reaction was that many on here needed to take several deep breaths of fresh ocean air accompanied by a few adult beverages. Others will react differently and become worried about not fitting in and having made a mistake in choosing to cruise on HAL.

I know it won't make any difference, but please be aware that you could be hurting someone's feelings with your response.

Thank you for letting me rant....

You are dead on with your comments. A couple of weeks back when I decided to book our first cruise with HAL, I posed a question regarding "da code" and how strict it was, and after the comments and attitude that came my way, I started wondering IF I should have booked with HAL. I consider myself to be "tough skinned" and am willing to give the attitude back when warranted, but really I hoped that it would be a better experience than it seems like it might turn out to be. :confused:

Having said all that, I'm expecting our cruise to be nice no matter what attitude we encounter, that's just the way we are. :D

This is yet another example of where policy clashes with practice. I, too, have on occasion see guys in bathing suits without shirts in the lido, getting food to take outside ... but that kind of thing usually tends to be an exception and not the rule.

Here's an example of the lido signage i was referencing:

lidodressnotice.JPG

One would hope that such a minimal policy would be reasonable and acceptable to all ... but, sadly enough, I'm certain that there will be those who will gripe about such signage and such a policy. After all, it's their vacation ... they paid for it.

Imagine . . . . . . .

What exactly would/could be the official HAL reaction if we were to enter the Lido dressed precisely according to their posted sign:

Shoes & Shirt and NOTHING ELSE ! ! ! ! :eek: :eek:

They posted the sign and we are following it to the letter :cool:

I think everyone can readily see where a little personal judgment and interpretation are always in order :p

Just asking . . . . . . .

r.

I know it won't make any difference, but please be aware that you could be hurting someone's feelings with your response.

I think some people live to do this on cc. I've had more then a few strips taken off me as well.....and some still like to do it on a regular basis:eek:.

Imagine . . . . . . .

What exactly would/could be the official HAL reaction if we were to enter the Lido dressed precisely according to their posted sign:

I think everyone can readily see where a little personal judgment and interpretation are always in order :p

r.

That is too funny:D. C'mon...do it....I'll pay ya:D.

You mean this thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=849626&highlight=casual

Took me a bit to find it, and then it was an interesting read. Things don't ever seem to change. I noticed that I managed to avoid posting on it for 11 pages, and then when I did I managed to avoid the topic ... my name had been taken in vain and I was curious to see what was going on.

WOW....very impressive detective work! Yes, that was the thread I was referring to.

.....and the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round.... ;)

[quote name=LindaM; <snip>

BTW' date=' how do you highlight certain responses, then respond to them???[/quote]

Very simple..Notice I cut out most of your post...Just learned that if you type in a <snip> others will know you have cut part of the post out of your response..

BTW my answer to the other part of your post will have to wait, as my PC auto shuts down at 1: a.m. if I'm on line I lose everything not saved including my log ins..Don't know why until tech can figure it out..

Just hit the "quote" bottom at the bottom of the post you want to respond to. It will bring up the reply window with the quote in it already.

Set Free I believe Linda is asking about how to respond to multiple quotes at once..: If so here goes...

Next to the quote box two large Quote Keys...(look like this only much bigger " ) ..You can go down the line & respond to up to three posts at once in your reply box just as I've done with you Linda & Set Free..When you go down the line click on the Quote Keys " (not the quote box) in each post & they will light up in red..After you click on the last one then go to the last Quote box in the thread & all three posts will come up in your reply box...<Snip> out the extraneous info from each post & leave only the part you want to discuss from each post...You can answer them one at a time..I change my font each time to show that it's me responding..Hope this makes sense..

Cheers..:).Betty

I don't think you would have any problems going to ANY lounge without a jacket and tie. If you are going to put on a pair of shorts and a wife beater then you might:D.

Pardon my French (yes I am) not sure what kind of clothing this is.... could you elborate please? :)

Pardon my French (yes I am) not sure what kind of clothing this is.... could you elborate please? :)

This is what many call a "wife beater" shirt...Many of us don't like that expression however..They really should be called tank top shirts..:eek::eek:

http://www.barenecessities.com/Polo-Ralph-Lauren-Classic-Cotton-Ribbed-Tanks-3-Pack_product_PoloRalphLaurenRL67_,search,.htm

They should not be worn in restaurants !:eek::eek:

Cheers....:)Betty

Under dress code for HAL it says under Smart casual for men: "collared shirt"

does Polo shirts fall in this category or is ""collarded shirt"" only shirts worn with ties. ??

Thank you!

A polo shirt qualifies, yes. On smart casual nights you will sometimes see me in a dark (black or grey or navy) polo shirt, kakis, and occasionally a sport jacket.

Imagine . . . . . . .

r.

This is frightening ... you and I think too much alike, and especially in the off-color humor department! ;)

Imagine . . . . . . .

r.

Some bling and piercings could dress up the "outft" quite nicely. Add a pair of 4" silk shoes and a cashmina and you're ready for the MDR on formal night.

I believe that the majority of questions come from people who understand exactly what is being "suggested" and are unhappy with that suggestion. The reasons for their unhappiness are many and varied. A poll might be interesting if properly structured.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you are saying that you believe most of the newbie dress code threads are started by people who are posing a disingenuous question, are hiding an ulterior motive, or are using a passive-aggressive approach to state their dislike of the code?

I guess you could be right, but isn't that an awfully cynical view of people? My opinion is that, based on the tone and wording of the newbie threads, a lot of people really just aren't sure about the specifics of the dress code and are honestly seeking advice. I'm sure there are the occasional insincere questions, but I'd like to think they are the minority.

I think everyone can readily see where a little personal judgment and interpretation are always in order.

You would think so. But if someone who is not an experienced cruiser, or has not been on a line like HAL before, chooses to use their personal judgment and interpretation to decide that a dress code labeled suggested is, well, suggested rather than required, it seems that in that situation, that person's personal judgment and interpretation are somehow lacking or dysfunctional or dishonest because really, they certainly should have known what was implied!

Very simple..Notice I cut out most of your post...Just learned that if you type in a <snip> others will know you have cut part of the post out of your response..

. . . . (some posters use ellipses to designate editing) . . . .

Set Free I believe Linda is asking about how to respond to multiple quotes at once..: If so here goes...

Next to the quote box two large Quote Keys...(look like this only much bigger " ) ..You can go down the line & respond to up to three posts at once in your reply box just as I've done with you Linda & Set Free..When you go down the line click on the Quote Keys " (not the quote box) in each post & they will light up in red..After you click on the last one then go to the last Quote box in the thread & all three posts will come up in your reply box...<Snip> out the extraneous info from each post & leave only the part you want to discuss from each post...You can answer them one at a time..I change my font each time to show that it's me responding..Hope this makes sense..

Cheers..:).Betty

Betty,

If my fading memory serves me right, it wasn't so long ago that I was helping you with these hints and procedures.

This post of yours brings back fond memories ;)

It is so nice to see you "passing it forward" to a less practiced CC member :cool:

Some day you will be sending Linda a post similar to this one when you find her helping the next one down the line :)

Keep up the good work.

r.

PS: I always appreciate your reasoned tone when some posters get too "hot under the collar"

You would think so. But if someone who is not an experienced cruiser, or has not been on a line like HAL before, chooses to use their personal judgment and interpretation to decide that a dress code labeled suggested is, well, suggested rather than required, it seems that in that situation, that person's personal judgment and interpretation are somehow lacking or dysfunctional or dishonest because really, they certainly should have known what was implied!

Ahhhhhhh,

The nuances of language . . . . ;)

Archived