Magic is going to................

Legend

As for me and my house...it would be great to FINALLY take our "Planned" first cruise on the Conquest from NOLA. (Katrina sent us to Galveston and the worst embarkation ever....but understandably.)

We were on that cruise and embarkation was terrible. If the Magic does go there we might give Galveston another try, it will all depend on the ports. We were on the Dream and don't think the Magic will be different, they may improve the Lido dining area but that is not enough of a reason to get me to sail on the Magic.

Please don't take this as a smart alec comment, because I don't mean for it to sound that way. :o But apparently, with you being way up north, you don't realize the number of people living in TX and surrounding states who cruise? Unlike at the northern and FL cruise ports, I would think that the majority of people who cruise out of Galveston actually drive to the port.

EVERYBODY drives to Galveston. There is no commercial airport on the island.

That is very interesting....even though galveston is farther west...it does take 6 hours to get down the river from NOLA....anyone ever done the math on two ships leaving NOLA and Galveston arriving at a certain port?...That woould be interesting to see.:)

They both arrive within five minutes of the time they list on the itinerary.

They both arrive within five minutes of the time they list on the itinerary.

Klops Zef on top of the head for being a smart aleck.

I tried to book the Magic TA cruise this afternoon. Bookings were open briefly in error. Now closed. I will have to wait for a few more weeks I guess.

I can't imagine it will be 2 more weeks before they reopen the booking ....well at least we know it was working.

EVERYBODY drives to Galveston. There is no commercial airport on the island.
:p You know I meant driving from HOME, especially since I mentioned it being one of the two ports that they (we) could drive to without having to fly. :rolleyes:

:p You know I meant driving from HOME, especially since I mentioned it being one of the two ports that they (we) could drive to without having to fly. :rolleyes:

You could drive to any port ... well except San Juan. It's just a question of how long you want to drive for.

Just did the 8 hour drive to New York. I'd do that for all my cruises if it wasn't so damn cold in the winter.

I just laughed so hard at the thought of a transatlantic cruise ending in Galveston. If anything it would be NY then they would have their repositioning cruise to Galveston.

RCI does TA to/from Galveston....

Galveston is a very busy port...

I guess it's just hard for some people to realize that the cruise industry doesn't revolve solely around Florida anymore...and just because the cruise is TA doesn't mean it has or should go to NYC.

right CC

(and I think sometimes people underestimate the power of us 'southern Cruising states')

;)

You can drive to any port in the original 48 states.

You could drive to any port ... well except San Juan. It's just a question of how long you want to drive for.

Just did the 8 hour drive to New York. I'd do that for all my cruises if it wasn't so damn cold in the winter.

You forgot Honolulu.

O.k., with this latest info, new theory (& my 2 cents);

Magic TA Barcelona to Galveston Oct 28, 2011. Magic runs one (maybe more) Caribbean cruises out of Galveston (intro to the U.S.; sorry, NYC)

Then, Magic does what the Splendor did and sails around South America (too big for Panama Canal) & repositions to LA (Long Beach) to compete against the new Disney ship that is bound to be homeported out of LA (Disneyland in Anaheim).

Splendor then takes over the Spirit's Alaska runs. Off-season (winter), Splendor homeports out of SD (remember, SD is down 1 ship since Elation left) and cruises Mexican Riveria. As someone mentioned on this thread, Splendor is perfect for Alaska with the retractable roof over lido main pool deck.

Now for the Spirit (& here I'm less confident). Spirit does a Panama Canal cruise and repositions to Houston (brand new Bayport cruise terminal). And finally, Conquest swaps with Triumph.

Final effects:

1.Carnival puts it's newest & biggest ship in 2nd largest city in U.S. & competes with Disney. Similar to the current arrangement in Port Canaveral with the Dream.

2. Capacity is increased for Carnival's Alaskan cruises and with the perfect ship (retractable roof over main lido deck) for the colder (even in summer) climate in Alaska. Capacity is also increased during winter from SD for Mexican Riveria.

3. Capacity is added to both the Galveston/Houston market & New Orleans. Additional ship for Galveston/Houston (Spirit in Houston's brand new, empty, taxpayer paid-for cruise terminal at Bayport). Spirit will do longer 8, 9, 10 day cruises out of Houston.

4. New Orleans gets her ship back & the ship that was designed for it, Conquest, which has more capacity than Triumph. Triumph takes over Conquest's cruises out of Galveston & Ecstasy remains in Galv & continues to do the short (4-5 day) cruises.

We should know in the next few days!! I'm out.

Marty

Magic TA Barcelona to Galveston Oct 28, 2011. Magic runs one (maybe more) Caribbean cruises out of Galveston (intro to the U.S.; sorry, NYC)

Then, Magic does what the Splendor did and sails around South America (too big for Panama Canal) & repositions to LA (Long Beach) to compete against the new Disney ship that is bound to be homeported out of LA (Disneyland in Anaheim).

Splendor then takes over the Spirit's Alaska runs. Off-season (winter), Splendor homeports out of SD (remember, SD is down 1 ship since Elation left) and cruises Mexican Riveria. As someone mentioned on this thread, Splendor is perfect for Alaska with the retractable roof over lido main pool deck.

Now for the Spirit (& here I'm less confident). Spirit does a Panama Canal cruise and repositions to Houston (brand new Bayport cruise terminal). And finally, Conquest swaps with Triumph.

Final effects:

1.Carnival puts it's newest & biggest ship in 2nd largest city in U.S. & competes with Disney. Similar to the current arrangement in Port Canaveral with the Dream.

2. Capacity is increased for Carnival's Alaskan cruises and with the perfect ship (retractable roof over main lido deck) for the colder (even in summer) climate in Alaska. Capacity is also increased during winter from SD for Mexican Riveria.

3. Capacity is added to both the Galveston/Houston market & New Orleans. Additional ship for Galveston/Houston (Spirit in Houston's brand new, empty, taxpayer paid-for cruise terminal at Bayport). Spirit will do longer 8, 9, 10 day cruises out of Houston.

4. New Orleans gets her ship back & the ship that was designed for it, Conquest, which has more capacity than Triumph. Triumph takes over Conquest's cruises out of Galveston & Ecstasy remains in Galv & continues to do the short (4-5 day) cruises.

Marty

I would LOVE that, but I don't see it happening.

BTW: Disney is not sending their new ship to LA. They are sending the Disney Wonder which was built in 1998. So when she comes to LA she will be 13 years old and she only weighs 83,000 tons.

So Carnival is already ahead with the Splendor being homeported in Long Beach (LA).

Final effects:

Marty

Love the analysis...but I'd put $$$ on NOLA getting a second ship...whether it be Ecstasy, Spirit, whatever. The plan was always to get NOLA back to two ships as long as Triumph was booked well...and it has been. Needless to say they have a lot to ships to switch around and my patience is wearing out LOL. Overall...it'll be good news for Gulf Coast ports.

Love the analysis...but I'd put $$$ on NOLA getting a second ship...whether it be Ecstasy, Spirit, whatever. The plan was always to get NOLA back to two ships as long as Triumph was booked well...and it has been. Needless to say they have a lot to ships to switch around and my patience is wearing out LOL. Overall...it'll be good news for Gulf Coast ports.

Good point China Clipper. One caveat to my theory & agrees with your thoughts;

Conquest & Ecstasy go to New Orleans. Triumph comes to Galveston. Spirit comes to Galveston (or Houston- Bayport).

The only trouble I have with this scenario is that Galveston/Houston seems to lose capacity since the Triumph is less than Conquest & Spirit is about the same capacity as Ecstasy??

Marty

BTW - I'd LOVE a Spirit-class ship out of Galveston!!

Archived