Tourist Village...What all is there?

DFritz

It's been a few years since we've been to Belize and wondered what all is now available at the Tourist Village.

The Wet Lizard:):)

http://www.thewetlizard.com/index.html

Also your ubiquitous Diamond International and other jewelery stores, several local crafts vendors and some smaller snack stands and bars.

Here's an interesting Belizean perspective: http://www.belizemagazine.com/edition05/english/e05_09touristvillage.htm

crewsweeper- Thank you so much for posting the very informative article.

Its a shame really how successful the cruise lines have been in scaring people into thinking that wandering outside the tourist village will result in certain death, or at the very least, robbery and severe injuries.:rolleyes:

Twice we have walked around Belize City without incident. Crime happens EVERYWHERE. We found the good people of Belize to be very welcoming and hospitable.

The Wet Lizard:):)

http://www.thewetlizard.com/index.html

Also your ubiquitous Diamond International and other jewelery stores, several local crafts vendors and some smaller snack stands and bars.

Here's an interesting Belizean perspective: http://www.belizemagazine.com/edition05/english/e05_09touristvillage.htm

Love this magazine! Excellent information! I agree, the cruise ships "scare" people to death about Belize. I've been lucky enough to have students in my classroom who are originally from there. I spent a lot of time talking with them and feel perfectly confident going into the city and walking around. Just take the normal precautions you would anywhere. (FYI -- Their parents were going to med school in my town and planned to go back where they are sorely needed.)

I've been to Belize several times. I had never heard anything from the cruise line or anyone about it being unsafe. We ventured out past the guarded gates on our own, we didn't even think about the fact that they were guarded but we soon put things together. Within no time we were offered to buy drugs. We were approached between 7-10 times in a time period no more than 15 mins. I felt very uncomfortable! And I've spent some time in bad places before.

I'm not saying all of Belize is that way but the area outside the gates was very shady imo.

I don't know why cruise lines would try to make their passengers fear a port they are stopping at without good reason.

I don't know why cruise lines would try to make their passengers fear a port they are stopping at without good reason.

"Safety" is the reason given. The reality is to encourage folks to stay and shop at the cruise-recommended stores (who pay the cruise lines to "recommend" them).

"Safety" is the reason given. The reality is to encourage folks to stay and shop at the cruise-recommended stores (who pay the cruise lines to "recommend" them).

You must admit that the "aggressiveness" of some of the independent tour vendors can be offputting and even frightening for cruisers not used ot them. However, once you're a block past the TV entrance, you'll not be accosted by anyone. Perfectly safe to walk around and you can get a "feel" for life in BC on the other side of the swing bridge.

You must admit that the "aggressiveness" of some of the independent tour vendors can be offputting and even frightening for cruisers not used ot them.

True. But the same can be said for a lot of ports, yet Belize seems to be the only one that I've been to where the cruise lines make a point of telling their passengers to not leave a certain area.

cruzelover: where exactly did you read that the cruise line tells you not to leave the gated TV? Is this just ccboard gossip or an actual warning given by the cruise line? Need to know for my friends, etc.

You must admit that the "aggressiveness" of some of the independent tour vendors can be offputting and even frightening for cruisers not used ot them. However, once you're a block past the TV entrance, you'll not be accosted by anyone. Perfectly safe to walk around and you can get a "feel" for life in BC on the other side of the swing bridge.

quick question.,.,,. if we were to go past the TV entrance, where are the local shops located? I'd rather shop there for any trinkets than shop inside the TV where prices are over inflated and mass produced/imported.

I must admit though, running the gauntlet of that one block past the TV entrance with the aggressive vendors is not something i'm looking forward to experiencing. But i would like to bring back something that is authentically local and made by the Belizean people.

quick question.,.,,. if we were to go past the TV entrance, where are the local shops located? I'd rather shop there for any trinkets than shop inside the TV where prices are over inflated and mass produced/imported.

I must admit though, running the gauntlet of that one block past the TV entrance with the aggressive vendors is not something i'm looking forward to experiencing. But i would like to bring back something that is authentically local and made by the Belizean people.

You can find some Belizean crafts in the TV. There is a Flea market just off Fort Street, just a couple of blocks away from the TV on the side of the street from the water. But if you go over the swing bridge into the downtown area of Belize City, you'll find the local shopping places. Not a lot of tourist stuff here, but interesting to see. All you do getting out of th eTV is just hang a left and walk say no a couple of times and you'll be away from the vendor activity quick enough. You can ge to the flea market the"back" way and avoid the vendors outside the TV by heading roght out of the Entrance #1 (main entrance) and heading out toward the lighthouse. That street winds back around to Hutson Street where the US Embassy is. But I think you can hang left at the park and come back down to the flea market. Nice walk if the weather isn't too hot.

thank you for the info crewsweeper. I found a map of Belize city and traced the route according to your directions. Of course in the process of finding that map, i stumbled upon a detailed one of the TV that even labelled the flea market!

I'm most definately hitting up that flea market! THank you.

thank you for the info crewsweeper. I found a map of Belize city and traced the route according to your directions. Of course in the process of finding that map, i stumbled upon a detailed one of the TV that even labelled the flea market!

I'm most definately hitting up that flea market! THank you.

One of the reasons the "locals" can be so aggressive when it comes to selling their wares is because there is no welfare system in Belize [as stated by our tour guides]. There livelyhoods depend on whether we choose to purchase something from them that day. It is intimidating at times, but I look at it as them trying to put food on their tables that night. You can find some beautiful woodwork in Belize. I hope you'll post again after you return and fill us in on your experience. I have taken tours on both my visits so I don't have first hand knowledge of shopping right outside the gate, but I bought a beautiful bowl and vase while in Belize. They have a beautiful country outside the city.

my dad backpacked for a few weeks in Belize last year. He just loaned me his travel guidebook so i'm looking forward to reading up on that.

woodwork? i like woodwork. I haven't researched yet what kind of mediums are typical for Belize but i do want to get something that will remind me specifically of Belize.

As for the aggressive locals, i do understand that's why they're so forward. I just don't do well with crowds. You should see me in the malls at Christmas. It's not a pretty sight lol.

Although we have been to Belize before, I do not remember having to give our Photo ID to

anyone to hold, when did they start doing this? There is no way I will leave my DL with anyone on a Caribbean island, it's a perfect way for identity theft.:(

Archived