Islanders In Need - Can You Help??

kicker

Just returned from an amazing cruise on Enchantment Of The Seas. I brought some kid’s clothing items with me to give away at Labadee; I wish I had brought more and left some in Samana also.

I have a favor to ask of Cruise Critic members: if you are cruising to Labadee, Samana, or any of the islands where there are underprivileged children, could you possibly consider packing some items to donate to locals? Its not hard to find someone willing to take the things - believe me! Children’s clothing (new or gently worn) works well; also school supplies, books.

After seeing the local children I really wish I had done more, and I’m hoping to get an address from a Tour leader in Samana so I can send more items.

If you can, please consider helping. Thanks.

What a lovely thoughtful post, kicker.:)

I know many folks will want their kids outgrown clothes to go where they will be needed and wanted instead of being donated to be cut up for rags because the charity store gets more money for that.:confused:

If we were going there I'd be taking an extra bag packed with clothes none of us fit and longer (the adults will need clothing too remember) and using the case to bring back my souvenirs.

Sadly we are not going to the Caribbean, but I just wanted to thank you for posting such a nice thread.;)

First of all, this isn't my original idea - its been done by many cruisers, but the idea could use some more publicity.

I didn't see any kids on Labadee. On previous trips I had seen kids. That being said, I didn't go out of my way to find them for this reason: I did a morning snorkeling excursion. I asked the Captain/owner of the excursion boat what I could do with what I brought. He told me he lives a mile from the pier and there were families around his hotel that could use what I brought, so that's where mine went. He also asked me to help spread the word about the needs of people on Labadee through Cruise Critic.

Otherwise on Labadee, I would suggest seeking out a vendor who seems trustworthy (obvously not all are), or perhaps asking a crew member at Labadee (or any port) for suggestions. Labadee used to have a different setup for vendors; I'm not sure if a shoppping area not controlled by RCCL still exists.

I know we did a tour with Terry Banda in Samana, and we took school supplies and Terry coordinated the stop with the school before we got there. We also took school supplies when visiting Guatemala with Go With Gus tours. These two excursions have been our favorites aside from some in Alaska.

First of all, this isn't my original idea - its been done by many cruisers, but the idea could use some more publicity.

I didn't see any kids on Labadee. On previous trips I had seen kids. That being said, I didn't go out of my way to find them for this reason: I did a morning snorkeling excursion. I asked the Captain/owner of the excursion boat what I could do with what I brought. He told me he lives a mile from the pier and there were families around his hotel that could use what I brought, so that's where mine went. He also asked me to help spread the word about the needs of people on Labadee through Cruise Critic.

Otherwise on Labadee, I would suggest seeking out a vendor who seems trustworthy (obvously not all are), or perhaps asking a crew member at Labadee (or any port) for suggestions. Labadee used to have a different setup for vendors; I'm not sure if a shoppping area not controlled by RCCL still exists.

Stupid question here, but how did you get the clothes to him? Did you take them with you on the snorkle trip or go get them from the ship and he just waited outside? I don't understand how you coordinated this.

Archived