web based texting

bludevil

Hi!

I have a European cell phone (UK number) and incoming text messages are free. I want to find a way for people in the US to text me online (not on their phone since it would be an international call).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Use e-mail on your phone?

Exactly. Depending upon your carrier someone should be able to send an email to your phone as a text message.

Try sending a text message from your cell phone to your email account. The address you see in the email message is most likely your cell phone number @ some address .com. For example for Verzion the email address to send a text message to a phone would be 8888888888@vtext.com in this case the 8's representing the cell phone number...

AT&T has the same kind arrangement. For an AT&T customer is 8888888888@mms.att.net once again where the 8's represent the cell phone number.

In either case someone can send an email message to your cell phone at no cost to them...

hmmm... that could work.

I just purchased an international phone from Mobal so incoming texts are free. Since it has a UK phone number, people in the US would have to send an international text to get to me. I'm trying to find a way to avoid that.

Archived