Knossos or Delos??

nma1227

Hi, Going on the NCL Gem this weekend!! I'm going with my mom, who isn't a huge fan of the ruins...but we are definitely going to be seeing one of them.

Between Knossos & Delos, is any one better than the other?? I wish I could see both!

Wow, that would be a tough choice for me (I'd do both of them, for sure!)

It depends a little what you are more interested in. Delos has many remains from the Greek classical and Roman eras. The avenue of lions is outstanding. There are villas up the hill where you can see some mosaics in place (other mosaics have been removed and can be seen in the very nice little museum on the site), as well as a small theater. I particularly enjoyed finding a piece of a monument carved with Philip of Macedon's name (proud of myself for deciphering that's what it was...;)). I really got a sense of the place.

By the same token, it has similarities to a lot of other Greek/Roman sites I've visited.

Knossos is from an entirely different era. The Minoans who built Knossos were almost as far removed in time from the Greeks and Romans as the Greeks/Romans are from us. There is some controversy about how the site was restored, but then again archaeology was only just in its infancy in the early 1900s when this site was excavated. I haven't been (yet), but I do think you have to use your imagination a little more to get a sense of the place. However, it is EXTREMELY important in the scheme of historical and cultural development in the Mediterranean. Just for that reason, I'd probably pick Knossos. :) That is, if I could only do one!

Could you not do both places, one with your mom and one without?

New York City or New Orleans?

They are both such great places. Why do you have to choose one over the other?

If you do have to pick, then it will be up to you to decide which period of history and which style of ruins are most impressive to you.

Personally, I search for the places of ancient power. The isle of Delos, like the Ring of Brogar and the Cathedral of Salisbury and the Western Wall, was a place that I felt it. Maybe you understand that, or maybe you think it is goofy.

Agree that it's a difficult choice. I've been to Knossos (but not Delos, although we've visited many other Greek ruins). Both would are worthy of a visit, but if you are undecided, I would first read a bit about each place. Here's a link to brief info on each that might be of help:

Delos

Knossos

If you haven't looked at photos of the two, that might also help with your decision; here's a link to some from the Tripadvisor forums:

Delos

Knossos

Just a final thought, Knossos has some shady spots where your Mom could relax and enjoy the views of the surrounding area if she is bored with ruins ... but it sounds like Delos is completely exposed. If it's going to be high 80's F and sunny, as it is this week, and you have any concerns about the heat/sun, I would choose Knossos (if the historical significance isn't of that much importance.)

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm so glad i got clarification on how they are different. I'm going to stick with our first decision of going to Delos because I have never seen classical Greek ruins and would LOVE to.

I'm hoping my mom will like them so much, she'll want to go to Knossos too ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say that given the chance to see both places, you should DEFINITELY see both places. I've been to both and in fact am on Ruby Princess in a couple of weeks and will go to Delos again. The thing is that Delos is fantastic and a large classical period site just as everyone has said. But also Knossos is a bronze age site that has been amazingly restored and preserved and gives you a view of this vibrant sophisticated culture that existed millenia before. You cant see it anywhere else, there's simply nothing like it anywhere else in the world. AMazing coloured frescoes.... honestly, go to both. You'll regret it forever if you don't go to Knossos.

Archived