Should I try to go for the balcony?

md10074

My DH wanted an inside cabin because he's cheap LOL. Then he said ok, spend a little more and get an OV because the kids will like it. I booked past guest and the OV dropped, but I can't get a OBC for it, but I did see that there is a balcony for only $20 more. We are on the Riviera deck, the balcony is on the Verandah deck.

I don't know where DH is. He doesn't have a cell phone and he's not at his desk at work, so I can't ask him what he wants to do. Should I just call them and see if I can upgrade?

He's afraid the kids will get out there and go overboard, and I also read that the lower decks are better for seasickness, which he gets really bad, but I really, really want a balcony.

What would you do?

If he's super adamant about not getting a balcony, I wouldn't do it. You don't want to start your cruise off on a sour note..

With that being said, it's rather difficult to go overboard unless one actually climbs onto the railing or leans over in a really ridiculous way. If it would be comforting, consider an obstructed balcony. The lifeboats are behind the railing off your balcony. Thus, you can argue to him that if in the unlikely event someone goes over, they'll only go into the lifeboat..

For what it's worth, a balcony is way more fun! Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

For $20 thats a deal.. .we could have for $40 total $20 pp and I passed because of the TA being such a pain to deal with, but I probably would have spent it.. on the ship we were the OVs had more inside space which we usually prefer .. newer ships the OVs are 220 s.f. and balconys 185 s.f. plus the 35 s.f. balcony

Its hard to fall off a balcony unless you climb up on it ...would your kids listen and not get up on a chair to fall off? People dont fall off accidently. The rail is about 4 ft up there.

OK, I just got ahold of him, and at first he said no, and then I told him it was only $10 more;), so he said "do what you want". :)

I really not worried about the kids going overboard. The youngest is 7, I don't think she would be so dumb as to climb on a chair or anything like that. I mean we're not going to leave them unsupervised in the room, so I don't know why he's thinking that way. I don't think the Liberty has obstructed balconies, do they? I thought I read that on here somewhere.

Ok, I'm going to call and see if I can get it. Do I need to talk to my PVP or can I just call anybody who answers. I haven't heard from my PVP since I booked the trip.

OK, I just got ahold of him, and at first he said no, and then I told him it was only $10 more;), so he said "do what you want". :)

I really not worried about the kids going overboard. The youngest is 7, I don't think she would be so dumb as to climb on a chair or anything like that. I mean we're not going to leave them unsupervised in the room, so I don't know why he's thinking that way. I don't think the Liberty has obstructed balconies, do they? I thought I read that on here somewhere.

Ok, I'm going to call and see if I can get it. Do I need to talk to my PVP or can I just call anybody who answers. I haven't heard from my PVP since I booked the trip.

Good sale! Go for it!:) I had a balcony on the Liberty and loved it.. I don't actually think I could do another kinda cabin now. Be careful it's addictive!:eek:

My DH wanted an inside cabin because he's cheap LOL. Then he said ok, spend a little more and get an OV because the kids will like it. I booked past guest and the OV dropped, but I can't get a OBC for it, but I did see that there is a balcony for only $20 more. We are on the Riviera deck, the balcony is on the Verandah deck.

I don't know where DH is. He doesn't have a cell phone and he's not at his desk at work, so I can't ask him what he wants to do. Should I just call them and see if I can upgrade?

He's afraid the kids will get out there and go overboard, and I also read that the lower decks are better for seasickness, which he gets really bad, but I really, really want a balcony.

What would you do?

Definitely worth the $20 difference, I wouldn't hesitate a minute.

The last 2 cruises I've been on were Balcony cabins, I'm spoiled now.

I agree , at that price a balcony is a great deal , we had our first one on the Dream , loved it .

Skipped balcony on the Victory upcoming due to so many ports , but at that price I would not hesitate to upgrade , maybe I will have to call and see if I can get a deal now .

What would you do?

The first thing you should do is have control of your kids!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, they gave me the upgrade for free!! I was excited before about this cruise, now I'm REALLY excited. Oh, and when my husband heard it was free, he was happy too. LOL I couldn't get any OBC because we were booked past guest and not ES, but I'm very happy with this.

They even let me pick the cabin that I wanted and I found what I think is a good one that has cabins above and below, so hopefully it'll be quiet. Funny, when I look at the deck plans, it's exactly in the same place as our old cabin, only higher up.

We wont cruise any other way. The balcony suite is wonderful. The jacuzzi tub, full bar, sitting area, Cant imagine cruising any other way.

I don't think she is talking about a balcony suite, just a balcony room...but as others have said, be careful, once you have one you will not want to cruise without one...

OMG, they gave me the upgrade for free!! I was excited before about this cruise, now I'm REALLY excited. Oh, and when my husband heard it was free, he was happy too. LOL I couldn't get any OBC because we were booked past guest and not ES, but I'm very happy with this.

They even let me pick the cabin that I wanted and I found what I think is a good one that has cabins above and below, so hopefully it'll be quiet. Funny, when I look at the deck plans, it's exactly in the same place as our old cabin, only higher up.

Wow - what a great upgrade! You are going to LOVE it! I'm excited for you :D

I don't think she is talking about a balcony suite, just a balcony room...but as others have said, be careful, once you have one you will not want to cruise without one...

Yeah, not a suite, just a room, but it's good enough for me! I've only ever been in inside rooms before. It'll be nice to be able to wake up and step out and get fresh air. OMG, the kids are gonna be so excited.

Not sure what that means, but he was afraid that they might get out there when we're sleeping.

Don't worry, as soon as the balcony doors open it will wake you up, with the wind it makes a loud vacuum noise when you first open them...

Just tell them no out on the balcony when an adult is not with them...that is the rule we set...

Hopefully, you picked as close to the middle of the ship as possible, if your hubby gets seasick, the middle has the least motion.

Check that its in the middle... great you got it for FREE. FREE is always sweeter.

Yeah, not a suite, just a room, but it's good enough for me! I've only ever been in inside rooms before. It'll be nice to be able to wake up and step out and get fresh air. OMG, the kids are gonna be so excited.

U should totally not tell them and make it a surprise for them...that would be even cooler for them...

Our friends had a balcony on the Liberty and said it was the best cabin they ever had. We were stuck in an inside room on the bottom deck.:( Now we do a balcony whenever possible and they are amazing! Congrats!

We won't cruise without a balcony, so you know what we'd encourage you to do!

But I wanted to share with you that the doors going out onto the balcony are VERY heavy and would take a pretty strong kid to open it and the doors slam VERY loudly (my personal pet peeve about people with balconies is letting their doors slam shut) so "sneaking out" onto the balcony isn't an easy thing for a little kid to do.

As others have said, the railings are up around mid-chest level on the average adult, so a child would have to do some serious climbing to get themselves into harm's way -- and the front of the balconies on most of the ships are glass, so they can see the ocean without having to climb up to see over the rail. You can always bring the chairs and table into your stateroom if your kids are climbers.

That's awesome! Anything free is even sweeter! Also, if he gets sick, just go get him so of the "good stuff" (not dramamine) from the infirmary. It works wonders!!:D Had it myself on my first cruise....didn't even need it on my 2nd.

Archived