Whale watching in Dominica or St Lucia?

McDebbie

We went with Island Style last Tuesday, Jerry was right on time but the dock had been damaged by Earl (I guess) and we had to walk a ways to another dock. The boat was big enough for 4-6 but not much more than that. Alas, not a whale to be seen but we had fun anyway. DH spent most of the tour up top with Jerry and got lots of good info, we could not hear at the bottom. The boat did rock quite a bit when we were not driving.

I believe they say the best time for whales is December through March but we did see quite a few in St Lucia.

I believe they say the best time for whales is December through March but we did see quite a few in St Lucia.

Did you go whale watching in both Dominica and St. Lucia? Would love to hear about St. Lucia if you did! Who you went with, etc. TIA! :)

We did NOT go whale watching in St Lucia but on a sailing/snorkeling tour. The Captain of the whale watching tour radioed our boat and we went out to see the whales. Very cool. We could wave to Pierce (see post a few above) and we all saw the same whales. Either way, it was all good. We went with MysticMan tours in St Lucia while Pierce went with Hackshaws. It appears they all stick together in giving us (the tourists) the best experience.

We did NOT go whale watching in St Lucia but on a sailing/snorkeling tour. The Captain of the whale watching tour radioed our boat and we went out to see the whales. Very cool. We could wave to Pierce (see post a few above) and we all saw the same whales. Either way, it was all good. We went with MysticMan tours in St Lucia while Pierce went with Hackshaws. It appears they all stick together in giving us (the tourists) the best experience.

Oh that is awesome! Thank you so much for the info. We will be there 4 weeks from today!!!!! :D

it turned out rather well for you all as you missed the whales on Dominica. aoemom, make sure whomever you go out with, you have one person on your boat with good eyes, my bride Karen was the one who spotted the first whale, when we arrived at the pod, they estimated about 400 pilot whales. We also saw Porpoises, Dolphins and Tuna when we were out. As well as snorkeling and a really good lunch at a dock side place in Mago Bay. Well worth the price of the charter. For ten of us, the day on the boat was $700, the lunch was not with the charter. We spent about $17.00 each on lunch. I recommend the chicken rotti:cool:

it turned out rather well for you all as you missed the whales on Dominica. aoemom, make sure whomever you go out with, you have one person on your boat with good eyes, my bride Karen was the one who spotted the first whale, when we arrived at the pod, they estimated about 400 pilot whales. We also saw Porpoises, Dolphins and Tuna when we were out. As well as snorkeling and a really good lunch at a dock side place in Mago Bay. Well worth the price of the charter. For ten of us, the day on the boat was $700, the lunch was not with the charter. We spent about $17.00 each on lunch. I recommend the chicken rotti:cool:

400 pilot whales?!?!? That is just amazing! I cannot wait!!!

Island Style is booked on our day. Have any of you heard how the ship excursion was ? Is it too crowded and not worth it or still a good option?

I hope this gets a postitive response as we are taking the ship excursion next month. I can let you know how it went when we return.

I hope this gets a postitive response as we are taking the ship excursion next month. I can let you know how it went when we return.

That would be great, aeomom! I hope you will have a wonderful cruise, and this excursion goes well for you!

Which cruiseline are you on? We will be on Celebrity.

I'll check back on this thread in a month or so. Please let us know! Thanks!

That would be great, aeomom! I hope you will have a wonderful cruise, and this excursion goes well for you!

Which cruiseline are you on? We will be on Celebrity.

I'll check back on this thread in a month or so. Please let us know! Thanks!

We are on Carnival's Victory ~ 7 islands in 7 days! I will be happy to report back and let you know how it went. I hope we see lots of whales!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be sailing on Explorer of the Seas 2nd Jan 2011 which arrives in Dominica

on Monday 10th Jan 2011.After reading the glowing reviews about the Whale

Watching excursion lead by Captain Jerry Daway of Island Style Fishing and

Whale Watching Charters.I have booked two places on this date,but need

another ten people to join us to make up a maximum of 12 people.Read the

reviews on trip Advisor and you will realise you cannot miss this!!!

If you are interested please contact Sheinel on their website.I dont know if I am allowed to give the email address.I have it if it is ok.and I will post later.

Myself and friend are travelling from the U.K. and this is on our 'must do'

list. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
We are thinking about doing this in Dominica in November and booking thru Princess.

What are the boats like - are there restrooms on board?

The Princess description says the boat goes 8 miles out - how rough is it that far out?

Quoting myself - sorry! But, never got any responses. Can anybody tell me about the whale watching boat booked thru Princess in Dominica? We are sailing on the Emerald in November.

Restrooms on board?

Is it rough seas 8 miles out? Anybody get seasick?

Quoting myself - sorry! But, never got any responses. Can anybody tell me about the whale watching boat booked thru Princess in Dominica? We are sailing on the Emerald in November.

Restrooms on board?

Is it rough seas 8 miles out? Anybody get seasick?

well I cannot tell you about the boat through Princess, nor Dominica, however I can give you a general feel for it.

Typically, the charter vessels used for these type of excursions will be a day cruiser, 35 to 50 feet long, twin turbo diesels (which can be loud on the main deck). So with that in mind, yes the boat will have a head (restroom) although it will most likely be very small, with a hand pump for clearing the bowl, pay close attention to how to use it for flushing.

As for seasickness, the Carib is usually rather mild as opposed to the Atlantic, which by no means it could not happen, however it is not as likely. If you are prone to motion sickness, it would not hurt to be prepared, you sure won't want to use the head for sickness as on most boats this size you are looking at about an 8 square foot area for a comfort station. Typical bathroom in a 1970's home had a 50 square foot area for comparison.

Hope that helps to some degree.

Yes! Let us know! We are in Dominica in December and are debating between Emerald Falls and Whale Watching....

We just got back on Sunday and it was totally, utterly, perfectly wonderful!

We took the Carnival excursion on St. Lucia and it turned out to be Hackshaw's. They were so great! We headed out and right away found a pod of pilot whales. Not huge, maybe a dozen or so of them headed by a big female who kept placing herself between us and the rest of the whales. It was cool to watch.

After that we headed in the other direction, toward the Pitons. This is where we hit pay dirt! We actually saw several sperm whales! A few mamas with calves and one really huge one that let us see it's tail! This was a great thrill for me and brought me to tears.

On our way back we came across a large group of spotted dolphins, 40 or so of them. They were hunting and not paying us that much attention but a few approached the boat to play.

I highly recommend this tour ~ whether you book them privately or through the ship (although not sure how you'd know if they are the operator being used by your cruiseline). I know a concern for a lot of people taking a ship excursion is how many people are along with you. I'd say there were maybe 20 of us. The boat never felt crowded ~ even when we were all trying to get a look overboard at the whales and dolphins.

A word about Dominica for the above poster.... this island is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, including countless hours spent dreaming in front of the travel channel! We took the Wacky Rollers Rainforest Adventure and had an awesome time. The guides were great ~ very knowledgeable about the island.

The swim into Titou Gorge was amazing!

So... if you are considering an island tour for Dominica I'd recommend that and save the whales for St. Lucia.

• 1 month later...

I booked a whale tour in St. Lucia through Carnival in July. It was cancelled because there were not enough people going. It was a huge disappointment. I have been whale watching before but my mom and nephew haven't. Niether one travels much and I wanted them to see it.

It is such an amazing thing to see.

Archived