Whale watching in Dominica or St Lucia?

McDebbie

Which would you suggest? And has anyone done both? I am leaning toward Dominica because nothing else stikes our fancy here. Is there something you would suggest other than whale watching that is not to be missed? DH can't do the beach and we don't snorkel or zip line.

We went whale watching with a ship's excursion in Dominica this past January, and I would HIGHLY recommend it! We went on a catamaran that was captained by a guy named Kirk. He knew exactly where to look, and on the way to the whales we were surrounded by a pod of literally almost 100 dolphins! They were swimming and jumping in the wake of our catamaran, and it was remarkable. I confess that I was moved to tears - in fact, my husband said just yesterday that his favorite moment of the last 5 years was seeing me cry at the awesome sight of those beautiful animals!

We also saw about 7 whales, and Kirk knew them each by name. The fact that the weather was PERFECT only made the whole experience that much better.

So - my advice is Dominica. Of course, there are no guarantees that you'll see the whales or the dolphins, but we're going back again next January, and we'll probably do that excursion again. Have fun!

Jenny, thanks for the info. Our ship does not have an excursion for whale watching in Dominca but I have found some private charters that are much cheaper than the ships excursion on St Lucia. Do you happen to know the name of the boat or company by any chance?

I'm sorry, but I don't know. I was on the Ruby Princess, and I checked Princess's web site this morning for information about their excursions in Dominica. Unfortunately, it didn't list the company. I'm sure that you could search through threads here to see if anyone can recommend someone reputable for you.

Enjoy!

We are going next week, and wondering if good chance of seeing Dolphins and Whales in July. Is it seasonal, or are mammals native year round?

I think sightings are more frequent in the winter months, but whales are present year round, so you might get lucky.

I think sightings are more frequent in the winter months, but whales are present year round, so you might get lucky.

Thanks- I will play it by ear on tiredness. Maybe get lucky and see dolphins from balcony--have seen a few in past cruises.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whale watching? Seeing DOLPHINS? My kids would FLIP and I have to admit I would love that just as much. I am going to look into the RCL excursion for this.

Let me ask...the catamaran ride - was it long and how rough was the trip? Do they use life jackets? I know they cannot guarantee you will see anything but what are the chances late Jan/early Feb?

Whale watching is much better in the winter. We went with Captain Jerry last December from Island Style Fishing. Great excursion! We only had about 12 people on our boat as compared to the RCI excursion that had tons of people. We had great views and Captain Jerry knew exactly where to go. We were also able to sample the local beer while on board. I would highly recommend going on the Proud Mary with Captain Jerry.

On the other hand......there are SOOOOOO many things to see and do in Dominica. It is a magical place! You can do nicely by just hiring a taxi/tour at the pier. We just did that recently and it was perfect. They customized our tour just for us. It is very safe. If you want.....just ask for Miss Julia.....she did a great job for us.

Whatever you do......DON'T stay on the ship!

Whale watching? Seeing DOLPHINS? My kids would FLIP and I have to admit I would love that just as much. I am going to look into the RCL excursion for this.

Let me ask...the catamaran ride - was it long and how rough was the trip? Do they use life jackets? I know they cannot guarantee you will see anything but what are the chances late Jan/early Feb?

Winter is the best season

I am trying to decide between the 2 (St. Lucia vs. Dominica) for whale watching as well. We are sailing the Carnival Victory in Oct. Anyone have an opinion of which one would be best in October?

Carnival only offers it for St. Lucia for our particular sailing. I am wondering if that is because it's better there at that time? Or is it just a coincidence and I am reading more into it?

I was looking at Island Style for Dominica since I've seen a few good reviews (including the one above) but I also read at least one where he did not show up! I would be so sad as this is the ONE excursion I do not want to miss.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

We are going with Island Style in Dominica. Both islands it seems the bus/van tours are very long which I don't like. But I did think there are more other things I want to see in St Lucia so that's whey we chose to do the whale tour in Dominica. Sorry we won't be there until first week of September but will let you know when we get back.

We are going with Island Style in Dominica. Both islands it seems the bus/van tours are very long which I don't like. But I did think there are more other things I want to see in St Lucia so that's whey we chose to do the whale tour in Dominica. Sorry we won't be there until first week of September but will let you know when we get back.

Oh, I would love to hear how it goes for you! Thank you! Have a great trip!!!

We are booked on the Carnival Victory for 3/6/11. Does anyone know how the whale watching on either of those islands is around early March? Those that are going there before March, please let us know how your experience was!

well we are booked to go out of St. Lucia the first week of September, so I guess I will let you all know how it went when we get back. We are sailing on the Victory and will let you know how that is also. :cool:

well we are booked to go out of St. Lucia the first week of September, so I guess I will let you all know how it went when we get back. We are sailing on the Victory and will let you know how that is also. :cool:

Yay! Thank you! :D

We are booked on the Carnival Victory for 3/6/11. Does anyone know how the whale watching on either of those islands is around early March? Those that are going there before March, please let us know how your experience was!

Early March should still be good

• 3 weeks later...
We went whale watching with a ship's excursion in Dominica this past January, and I would HIGHLY recommend it! We went on a catamaran that was captained by a guy named Kirk. He knew exactly where to look, and on the way to the whales we were surrounded by a pod of literally almost 100 dolphins! They were swimming and jumping in the wake of our catamaran, and it was remarkable.

That sounds AWESOME!!!!!

If anybody finds out what company this Kirk with the catamaran is from, please post it!! Also, please post any other reputable companies you find for this excursion. :)

• 3 weeks later...

In regards to St. Lucia; we had a great time with Hackshaws Charters. We were fortunate enough to land on a pod of Pilot Whales, this past Thursday. Saw a lot of whales. We stayed with the pod for over an hour, it was rather cool. :cool:

We also saw some porpoise and dolphin, as well as a chance to snorkel for an hour. It was an awesome day, I recommend it to anyone.

When I get a chance to get some photos up I will. Just got in from the cruise a half hour ago and a lot to do.

Archived