Just back from The Dream

After an initial hiccup finding my sea legs, hubby and I had an excellent holiday on the Dream. I would agree with most of the recent reviews in that the majority of the problems encountered earlier have been addressed. There was still a leak in the ceiling of the Andromeda restaurant and certain plumbing issues but luckily nothing major. I will not bore everyone by repeating a lot of the points previously reviewed but please feel free to ask any particular questions.

We would definately cruise again on the Dream, particularly if the refurbishment goes ahead this autumn. The food was excellent and the crew second to none.

I have reviewed some of the excursions on another post

Thanks for taking the time to post, there are so many of us waiting for some good reviews! It certainly sounds like you had a good time. Did you notice the dreaded 'smell' anywhere on ship? How was the drinks service in Andromeda & the theatre, some have said it was very slow? Did you have any trouble finding sunbeds when required? How is seating organised on Captains night with the open dining, are there seperate sittings for that night only?? Thanks in advance :)

Echoing what Jo said - thanks for posting so quickly. I think some of us are starting to breathe just a little easier. Is there anything you can tell us about the cabins? Did you have any problems with loos or lack of hot water? That was still a problem with someone on the same cruise, who posted on 'the other site'. But they still gave a balanced review.

Rosiebee:)

Thanks for taking the time to post, there are so many of us waiting for some good reviews! It certainly sounds like you had a good time. Did you notice the dreaded 'smell' anywhere on ship? How was the drinks service in Andromeda & the theatre, some have said it was very slow? Did you have any trouble finding sunbeds when required? How is seating organised on Captains night with the open dining, are there seperate sittings for that night only?? Thanks in advance :)

I didn't think there was a problem getting served in any restaurant or the theatre. We used the Andromeda for most of our meals but ate in the Orion three times. There are definately not enough sunbeds to go round, on Andromeda deck anyway, (not sure about Sirens) when the ship has days at sea. On the other days if you notice towels on beds, check them for an hour and then if no one comes back to them, just take them off. We went to the Gala night and although there were two sittings and not open dining we could sit anywhere really. We didn't go to the Captains table but I'm sure he didn't miss us!

Echoing what Jo said - thanks for posting so quickly. I think some of us are starting to breathe just a little easier. Is there anything you can tell us about the cabins? Did you have any problems with loos or lack of hot water? That was still a problem with someone on the same cruise, who posted on 'the other site'. But they still gave a balanced review.

Rosiebee:)

We had an outside cabin on Deck 7 and were very pleased with it. It was roomy enough with plenty of space for your clothes. The bathroom was "compact" but was equipped with face cloths, shower gel (strange smell so take your own), and shampoo and the towels were changed every day. Our bed was turned down every night and the cabins were kept very clean and tidy.

There was an issue with hot water or the lack of it and it always seemed to happen when we were in port. It only affected us one night.

If you accept that these annoying little things are probably put down to the fact that the Dream has not been refurbished they will not spoil your cruise. I do believe though that we have been misled and I think I will still write to Thomsons as they should know these issues should be addressed quickly.

How is seating organised on Captains night with the open dining, are there seperate sittings for that night only?? :)

Hi Jo,

When we were on in May we were invited to the first sitting, but as the sea was rough that day I felt a bit queasy:eek: so took some tablets and felt better, so I rang reception and asked if we could go to 2nd sitting and she said we could go to either:)

Linda

We were on the Dream on these dates. We had an enjoyable cruise.

Arrival at Palma was a bit hectic but we eventually arrived at the port. Embarkation processing quick but we had to wait 4 hours for our cases.

Cabin on Deck 5 (5036) lovely. Spacious, looked to have been quite recently refurbished and spotlessly clean. Comfortable beds and a good bathroom. Powerful shower and a good hairdryer. !!

Preferred Sirens buffet restaurant to Andromeda. Less hectic and far better lay-out. Good food in both. Orion restaurant we found to be excellent and had two fabulous waiters Jose and Kyle.

Pool areas kept tidy although why some people leave used tissues on the side of the pool where people sit is beyond me. Sorry - just one of my pet hates.

Excursions we took were good value for money. Lake Puccini and Pisa for one half day and Brancanno (spelling??) Castle near Rome another half day. If anyone would like to know more about these please ask.

There are problems with the plumbing on this ship. There were smells on Decks 7 and 9 but they did seem to ease off during our week. Also leaks here and there with buckets for catching the drips. Also the public loos were out of order quite a lot of the time. Just went back to the cabin.

Some people who had problems with toilets/leaks were relocated but it seems others were not. Naturally they were not happy bunnies - neither would I have been. I think Thomson really need to address these problems a lot more aggressively because there are plenty of complaints on this and other review sites.

Entertainment of the usual good Thomson standard.

All in all a good cruise.:):)

PS if anyone wants to know anything more specific please ask.

Hi,

Are there plenty other loungers/seats on other decks bar the decks where the pools are?

Duty free shop for cigs,is it open regularly?

Didn't see loungers anywhere other than decks 9 and 11 (pool decks). There are also tables and chairs in these lido areas as the pools are adjacent to both buffet restaurants. At the back of the ship there is a series of stairs leading to small deck areas with tables and chairs.

Shop is open when ship at sea. :)

Archived