Need help with La Spezia, Naples, Rome excursions

gam888

Going on Disney Magic in August with husband and 3 kids 16-21. Found out it takes 2 hours from La Spezia to Florence. Although my husband and I have been to Italy before, it's the first with the kids. Not going to be repeating Europe with the whole family any time soon due to the cost involved. I had my heart set on Florence but logically I should visit some other places that are closer to the port. I really loved the architecture in Florence, and the Pont Vecchio area. My options with the La Spezia port are: Cinque Terre, Portofino in one direction, Pisa (have been to ) and Lucca in the other direction. I would prefer an area which has spectacular squares and churches, other than quaint

seaside towns. Think I might be disappinted with not seeing major architual wonders but will keep an open mind. Also need to know how to get to these places by train ourselves. Rome, we intend to do it ourselves as well. Any suggestions of what is the best sequence to visit Vatican, Forum, Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi fountain are welcome. Need to maximize our time not back tracking too much. Naples, husband and I have visited Pompeii and Capri, and Sorrento. Remember the coastline was spectacular. I think Pompeii will be really hot in August and the kids might be not that keen on walking for a long time. What is the best way to see the Amalfi coast? Other ports are Malta, Tunisia, Corsica and Barcelona. Any info are welcome!

Going on Disney Magic in August with husband and 3 kids 16-21. Found out it takes 2 hours from La Spezia to Florence. Although my husband and I have been to Italy before, it's the first with the kids. Not going to be repeating Europe with the whole family any time soon due to the cost involved. I had my heart set on Florence but logically I should visit some other places that are closer to the port. I really loved the architecture in Florence, and the Pont Vecchio area. My options with the La Spezia port are: Cinque Terre, Portofino in one direction, Pisa (have been to ) and Lucca in the other direction. I would prefer an area which has spectacular squares and churches, other than quaint

seaside towns. Think I might be disappinted with not seeing major architual wonders but will keep an open mind. Also need to know how to get to these places by train ourselves. Rome, we intend to do it ourselves as well. Any suggestions of what is the best sequence to visit Vatican, Forum, Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi fountain are welcome. Need to maximize our time not back tracking too much. Naples, husband and I have visited Pompeii and Capri, and Sorrento. Remember the coastline was spectacular. I think Pompeii will be really hot in August and the kids might be not that keen on walking for a long time. What is the best way to see the Amalfi coast? Other ports are Malta, Tunisia, Corsica and Barcelona. Any info are welcome!

Buongiorno gam888,

in my opinion the national park of the Cinque Terre is amazing and You absolutely can't miss It! believe me!

As for Rome, you could join the hop on - hop off city tour bus starting from Roma Termini railway station.

While, from Naples, I suggest you to spend a wonderful day in Capri.

Here are some useful links:

1) http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

2) http://www.cinqueterre.it/info.php

3) http://www.roma.city-sightseeing.it/eng/index.htm

Enjoy your cruise!

Ciao ItalianGuest

Pisa is about an hour and 20 minutes by train so it really depends on how much time you have.

In Rome, granted we were rushing quite a bit but we did Palatine Hill, the Colosseum, Roman Forum in the morning (buy your tickets at Palatine Hill to save a LOT of time), then we did Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, and Trevi fountain before getting on the metro at the Barbarini stop and heading over to the Vatican museum. We explored the Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museum and then headed back with time to spare. The order of those places avoids too much backtracking. You end up walking in a "T" before getting on the metro :)

Archived