What to do in La Paz?

doe326

We were in La Paz in April. La Paz has beautiful turquoise beach. My friends went on a snorkel tour and he said it water in La Paz is more beautiful than the carribbean.

When the ship docked in La Paz, the port provides free shuttle to the beach or downtown. Each trip take 30 to 40 minutes from the port. We took the free shuttle to downtown, walk around downtown then took a taxi to the reptile sanctuary. I wouldn't recommend the visit to the repitle center, because it was really small, we were done in an hour.We took the taxi back to the shuttle area in downtown then took an shuttle back to the port. Then we took the free shuttle from port to the beach. Beach and downtown are in two different direction from the port.

At the beach, we rent jet ski, do banana boat, and had lunch. You can also hired a boat to take you for snorkeling trip.

There are lot of do in La Paz, but unfortuanately there are not that many information on this forum, since not many ship are docking there.

If we have a chance to return La Paz, I would go the beach and take a tour to Santos.

Of all the ports that we have been too like Cabos, PV and Mazatlan. We love love La Paz.

When we were in La Paz, as mentioned by the previous poster, there was a comp shuttle to town and to the beach -- different directions :) We went to town, did some shopping, then back to the ship and caught the beach shuttle. There were palapas and restaurants at the beach and the sand and water were wonderful! When/if we go back, we will arrange a snorkel and kayak, I think.

The shuttles going BACK to the ship from the beach fill up -- don't despair. Grab a taxi for cheap -- the driver I got only needed 4 people to do the trip for $2/person :) So I got him 8. He was happy, we were happy. And back at the ship without having to wait.

I think you'd be smart to investigate any snorkel or kayak or combo that is offered. The water is really outstanding! And check TripAdvisor, too, on the La Paz forum.

Thanks for all the great ideas. They will really help us make our decision. We were leaning towards the beach anyway and I think that is what we will do. Appreciate the input.

If want to go for snorkel, can I recommend BOA, Baja Outdoor Adventure.

You will reach the BOA office before downtown. If you took the bus from port, ask the bus driver to stop at BOA to drop you off, they will do it for free, just tip the bus driver a few $. If not, then you have to take a taxi to the office.

I agreed with the post above, taxi is really cheap in La Paz. We took the taxi from downtown to the reptile center, he waited for us while we tour, then took us back to town for $ 12, we give him a $ 20 because he waited for almost an hour with us.

I really like La Paz, people in La Paz are nicer and it is a quaint little town.

If want to go for snorkel, can I recommend BOA, Baja Outdoor Adventure.

You will reach the BOA office before downtown. If you took the bus from port, ask the bus driver to stop at BOA to drop you off, they will do it for free, just tip the bus driver a few $. If not, then you have to take a taxi to the office.

I agreed with the post above, taxi is really cheap in La Paz. We took the taxi from downtown to the reptile center, he waited for us while we tour, then took us back to town for $ 12, we give him a $ 20 because he waited for almost an hour with us.

I really like La Paz, people in La Paz are nicer and it is a quaint little town.

Thank you for the info. I think we are going to like this port. I like going the places that are more "real" Mexico.

We took a taxi tour of the city that went to a shop where they were weaving blankets and other stuff on antique equipment( all hand operated) then to a family operated pottery shop where you could see the pottery being made. Also to a whale museum and a historical museum plus a good tour of the city. Cost was not much, and the tour was very nice. Then we went back to the pier and took the shuttle to the beach and enjoyed the water and refreshments. Very nice port to visit !!!

Not many ship are stopping at La Paz. I like La Paz much better than Mazatlan.

I totally agree. We were on the Holland America Sea of Cortez cruise, so go to visit La Paz. Next time we are going to port in Guaymas instead of La Paz. That'll be interesting, too, I bet. But want to go back to La Paz, as well.

• 2 months later...

What is the name of the beach you were talking about....or is there only one? ALSO, can you snorkel off the beach or do you have to out pretty far to see anything? If you can snorkel off the shore...which beach is that? We will be there in January.

Thanks!

aw

We took a taxi tour of the city that went to a shop where they were weaving blankets and other stuff on antique equipment( all hand operated) then to a family operated pottery shop where you could see the pottery being made. Also to a whale museum and a historical museum plus a good tour of the city. Cost was not much, and the tour was very nice. Then we went back to the pier and took the shuttle to the beach and enjoyed the water and refreshments. Very nice port to visit !!!
Can you tell me who you uesed for your city tour? Thanks, Julie G.

Archived