Car rental returns in Vancouver

Fredr

Hello,

I am renting a car at the Vancouver Airport and would like to turn the car in near Canada Place.

The car rental company says that I can't do this unless it is a one way rental. This means a new reservation and a drop charge of an extra $55.00.

My question...do you know of any car rental company that will allow me to pick up at the Vancouver Airport and turn it in at Canada Place, at no extra charge?

Well first off, I have never heard of this. But all of the biggies, like Budget, Avis, Hertz, & National/Alamo have downtown offices close from where you can walk to Canada Place or they will often shuttle you...a cab fare would be $10 max. Avis and Budget would be the closest, 6 or 7 blocks downhill to the pier.

Who are you renting from?

Putterdude,

I am renting from Budget at the Vancouver Airport. I livein Southern California and checked with a Budget Rent a Car office near my home. The owner of this office contacted Budget, which replied that in order to pick up the car at the airport and turn it in near Canada Place,it has to be a one way rental with a $50+ drop charge.

All that I can say is WOW...never heard of this before, the Budget franchise here in the Vancouver area which probably comprises about 6 locations, at least, is owned by the same company. The only thing that I can suggest is try a different company or phone the Budget YVR location directly.

G'day Fred,

We are renting a car from these guys in September this year http://www.pacificcarrentals.com/ They are located in Downtown Vancouver in the Marriot Hotel which is only a few blocks from Canada Place. They have arranged to pick us up in a shuttle from the airport and no additional fee for this service. our flight gets in late on a Sunday Afternoon about 2 hours before they close and when I explained this to them they still said it was not a problem and they would still meet us and if it went after closing time they would be waiting ... they were also considerably cheaper than the majors as well.

Hope this helps

Cheers

David

Hello,

Thanks to all who responded. My TA participates on these boards, though he does not advertise or in any way is intrusive, saw my post and called me with a solution.

And just a reminder, be out on deck as the ship sails out onto Vancouver Bay and under the Lions Gate bridge. This will get your travel heart pumping, to see the bridge, the City of Vancouver in the distance, and the approach to the Inside Passage.

I am dieing to hear, what was the solution?

Now if you want a real heart pumper, about an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate Bridge, look to starboard and you will see me standing by my grill, glass of vodka in hand raised to your good health. Southbound, look to port...but you won't see me as that is just to early to be up.:D

Putterdude,

My TA has a contract with a car rental company, and a provision of the contract is that the drop off fee is is waived in some locations. And the Vancouver Airport -Canada Place are one of the locations.

Most bizarre. We investigated many car rental co this past week with the intent of picking up a rental car downtown post cruise and dropping off at the airport a few days later. None of the co's we investigated were charging a drop off charge for dropping off at another location within the same city. I am sure Budget was one of the the co's we looked at, although we ultimately booked with Avis.

Cruisepucks

Hello,

Cruisepucks, it could be because you want to do the reverse, that is, pick up downtown and drop off at the airport. It seems to me that the car rental companies want to have a maximum number of cars at the airport.

Putterdude,

My TA has a contract with a car rental company, and a provision of the contract is that the drop off fee is is waived in some locations. And the Vancouver Airport -Canada Place are one of the locations.

Thanks for the information...as I said, I have never heard of there being a drop charge between the two locations in the city. I am not too sure about the companies wanting maximum cars at YVR and particularly during the Aslaska Cruise season. Another thing that has impacted transporation between YVR and downtown is the success of the new Canada Line, it has put the airport shuttle out of business and cab drivers business off up 50%.

• 7 months later...
CAN you rent a car in Seattle and drop it off at the pier area in Vancouver?
Yes of course. But you have to know where the car rental offices in downtown Vancouver are located - some are several blocks/cab ride from Canada Place (if that's where you're departing.) We dropped our Budget car at Budget's "Canada Place" location last summer, which is not at Canada Place but at Georgia & Homer, opposite the library, and around a 8-9 block walk (or maybe a $7-10 cab ride) from Canada Place.

CAN you rent a car in Seattle and drop it off at the pier area in Vancouver?

yes, but your dealing with a lot of border traffic and a high drop fee. Hotwire now offeres you one way rentals at about 1/2 off of the car rental firms. just go to

hotwire.com

You can also look on tripadvisor.com seattle forum on top right are several articles on getting to Vanc for cruises under FAQ's

Archived