Too Many Choices - Need Help!

rstout

My husband, two boys (will be 6 and 7 next year) are currently booked through the Kids Sail Free special on the Wonder for 2/13/11 (Mexican Riviera). We have a great deal on the room, but will have to pay for airfare (which I think will be around $1,200 or so including the one free Southwest flight I have). We live in NC and Port Canaveral is a 9 hour drive for us, which we've done before and don't mind (we did it this year to go on the Carnival Dream). So now I am wondering if I should change our cruise to either the Western Caribbean itinerary on the Magic in November 2011 (Eastern itinerary doesn't work for us) or a B2B on the Dream in September or November (we are in a year-round school, so we tend to travel during off times). The cost for both is about the same as the Wonder plus airfare, since we can drive to FL, and driving has the added advantage of not having to worry about how much luggage you pack. We are frequent cruisers, but this is our first Disney cruise. I am seriously thinking of switching but, should I, and, if so, to which one? Some additional thoughts/questions:

- We would love to go to Castaway Cay.

- We have been to Nassau, Cozumel and Grand Cayman multiple times, but wouldn't mind going back to any of them. We have not been to any of the Mexican Riviera ports.

- Will the Wonder be WAY overpacked with kids with the Kids Sail Free promotion, or will we have the same issues on any of the ships?

- I think my youngest will be very disappointed that he can't do the AquaCoaster with the 48-inch height requirement on the Dream. I can obviously explain this to him ahead of time, but they are very used to being able to do the same things, and that would be a disappointment. I KNOW if I show the Dream to the kids, that my older son will want to go on that ship for the AquaCoaster alone.

- We've never done a B2B before. Will the kids be bored with the same shows/activities on a B2B on the Dream?

Thanks for any help/advice!!!!

Becky

My husband, two boys (will be 6 and 7 next year) are currently booked through the Kids Sail Free special on the Wonder for 2/13/11 (Mexican Riviera). We have a great deal on the room, but will have to pay for airfare (which I think will be around $1,200 or so including the one free Southwest flight I have). We live in NC and Port Canaveral is a 9 hour drive for us, which we've done before and don't mind (we did it this year to go on the Carnival Dream). So now I am wondering if I should change our cruise to either the Western Caribbean itinerary on the Magic in November 2011 (Eastern itinerary doesn't work for us) or a B2B on the Dream in September or November (we are in a year-round school, so we tend to travel during off times). The cost for both is about the same as the Wonder plus airfare, since we can drive to FL, and driving has the added advantage of not having to worry about how much luggage you pack. We are frequent cruisers, but this is our first Disney cruise. I am seriously thinking of switching but, should I, and, if so, to which one? Some additional thoughts/questions:

- We would love to go to Castaway Cay.

- We have been to Nassau, Cozumel and Grand Cayman multiple times, but wouldn't mind going back to any of them. We have not been to any of the Mexican Riviera ports.

- Will the Wonder be WAY overpacked with kids with the Kids Sail Free promotion, or will we have the same issues on any of the ships?

- I think my youngest will be very disappointed that he can't do the AquaCoaster with the 48-inch height requirement on the Dream. I can obviously explain this to him ahead of time, but they are very used to being able to do the same things, and that would be a disappointment. I KNOW if I show the Dream to the kids, that my older son will want to go on that ship for the AquaCoaster alone.

- We've never done a B2B before. Will the kids be bored with the same shows/activities on a B2B on the Dream?

Thanks for any help/advice!!!!

Becky

Lets see if we can cut some of this down to size.

From the little Ive heard of the KSF program, there seems to be more kids onboard, then there would be normally.So to me at least, the Dream and the Magic may seem, less inundated for lack of a better term.The Dream especially since she is bigger.

As far as CC, both the Dream and the Magic will go there.

The 1 thing on a b2b that I can see, is that you are getting 2 stops at CC,but you are also getting 2 stops in Nassau.The Dream at somepoint will do 5s with double dips to CC.Not sure if that will work for you.

Even if your youngest cant do the Aquaduck, there is still the rides that are now at CC.Not sure if there is a height requirement.Its called Pelican Plunge.How tall is he now?Is there a chance that he might be 48" by the sail date?

As far as the kids being bored, I dont see that as an issue on the b2b.The kids program are a little less structured, so if there was something they wanted to do and missed, they can always go back and do it the 2nd time around.Once you have seen all 3 or 4 shows on the Dream, theres alway a movie theatre to go to, or Im sure there will be a favorite, someone may want to see again.

As far as the difference in the b2b or the 7 day western, Id look at it this way.

Is CC important enough to do 2x along with Nassau 2x (think ground hogs day) or would you rather have changing scenery during 7 days with CC 1x.

Okay, this is just my opinion so take that for what it's worth....

If you've never sailed DCL I'd consider narrowing the choices to the Magic & Wonder and save the Dream for the future. Yes, you will be back on DCL once you've taken your kids on their ships! I keep swearing I'm going to avoid DCL and everytime the mouse beckons me back... Since your children haven't been on DCL they'll be excited with all of the offering that are unique to this line. Start with the 2 smaller ships and move up to the bigger one after you've maxed out the offerrings on the smaller.

To choose between the Magic & Wonder I'd research the ports involved and what the family would want to do in each. Let the better battleplan be the winner.

Good luck on your decision. No matter what you choose you'll all have a great time. What a nice problem you have!! ;)

Archived