Around The Horn Review-Part 4

Smooth Sailing

We are still in Ushuaia - we needed to return to the ship a little after 2:00PM since we had a ships tour leaving at 2:30. We really would have liked to have had more time to explore this great little town. We did the ship's excursion to Tierra del Fuego National Park and the Beagle Channel Catamaran - we didn't have much choice here since you can't book a small group tour on the catamaran. There were still many small tour operators on the pier offering a variety of excursions - but, not the catamaran. We fiirst took a bus about 1/2 hour to the National Park - this is a very pretty park - nice scenery - a nice lake - ducks, geese, hawks, flowers. We stopped at the picnic/camp site area for a late lunch - you have to try the sausage - they were cooking the sausage on an outside grill - put them in a nice roll with some special sauce - very tasty - $1.00 each. We went down to a small cove with a pier and the catamaran picked us up - the catamaran was fairly large and enclosed - you could go outside and onto the outside upper deck - however, it was very windy and very cold - only went out to take pictures. The catamaran had snacks and wine and beer. We cruised out into the Beagle Channel to Bird Island - this small rock island was covered with giant Cormorants and other bird species - then on to Sea Wolves Island, a rocky outcrop covered with sea lions, seals, and cormorants. The catamaran was able to get right next to these islands for great picture taking - do bring your binoculars for an even better view. We also went to a couple other bird covered islands including one covered with terns.

We returned to the ship at 8:30PM just in time to see my beloved Patriot's playoff game - we were very concerned that we may not be able to get this game - went up to the Lido Bar and our bartender Komang had it for us - live and in glorious color - we even made it just in time for kickoff - this part of South America is 3 hours ahead of CST - it was only 5:30PM back home in Texas. What a great game as our Patriots crushed the wanna be Steelers ( sorry Stealer fans - no offense intended) - It did get a bit tense for a while in the second half. The game was not over until midnight - so off th bed.

Day 8 - Cape Horn and at Sea - We were tired this morning, but managed to make it on deck for our around the Horn experience around 8:00AM - the weather was (I Know) cloudy, windy, and cold - this time it was also raining and the sea was very rough - this was really the first rain we had had during our voyage other than a sprinkle or 2. We went around the Horn in one direction and then came back around again in the oposite direction. We then headed off for a day at sea - the weather improved a bit as we moved away from the Horn - but, still cloudy, windy, and cold - no one in or around the pool for a week now - a few hearty souls bunddled up on deck chairs outside and reading - we did do this for awhile until we had frostbite - then off to the bar - We did also frequent the Crown Club Bar with our great bartenders Roheina and Bernard and the bar maid Nimfa. We really got to know the bar staff at both this bar and the Lido Bar since only a very small percentage of the passengers were drinkers - same small group at the bars every day and evening.

More to come later -

I note that you said you could not book the catamaran except thru the ship. Or that was my impression. Are you positive? Another CruiseCritic poster indicated otherwise. Based on his information, my plan had been to walk down the pier and buy catamaran tickets.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=105774&highlight=Tips+Ushuaia

(EXCERPT)The boat will dock at a long pier and it is a short walk up the hill to get to the main shopping street once you are off the pier. As you walk off to the right will be several booths that sell tickets for the boat trips in the Beagle Channel. Most of them leave around 9:30 in the morning or 2:00 PM. The cost is from 50 Pesos to around 130 Pesos depending on how far the trip goes.

We were at Ushuaia the same day with the Infinity (a hugh ship) - In all there were close to 3,000 passengers in Ushuaia this day and the Cruise Ships had booked all the available catamarans. Our tour did not begin until after 2:00PM since this was our scheduled arrival time - It is very likely that the catamarans were available for individual tickets in the morning and most may be available on days when no Cruise Ships are in port or maybe just one instead of two.

ALadynCal,

The most important thing to remember about this wonderful Chile to Argentina cruise is - the experience is different every time. Dave sailed on the same ship a couple of weeks after I did - doing the same route. We were blessed with (generally) beautiful weather and extememly calm seas.

In fact, some of us were hoping for rough seas at the Horn because that was how so many of the early mariners experienced it. Our visit was smooth as glass and dry - but not warm - it was very windy and chilly.

The day we were docked at Ushuaia we were on the other side of the dock from Lindblad's Explorer, which was preparing to go to Antarctica. In our case we were the ones doing the dwarfing, I looked at the pictures recently was was really surprised by the obvious difference in sizes.

The take away, I guess, would be to do some research on the other cruise lines that visit that port to see if anyone is going to be there the same day you are - out of curiosity I had done that and found we were never docked the same day as one of the other major cruise lines. I had been hoping to meet up with some folks who were on the Infinity so was a little disappointed. But, from reading Dave's review am guessing this was a good thing for me!

Dave, thanks so much for the very detailed and expressive reviews! My own were from such a different viewpoint - it's interesting to see and I've learned from you better how, and where, to post the right info.

lisa

Archived